“Superb location at the harbour”

Clarion Collection Hotel Skagen Brygge
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Stavanger
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Well, this hotel is really easy to reach if you arrived by plane into Stavangers airport.
The "Flybussen" go´s frequently and stops in front off the hotel, hop off the bus and enter the door!.
No time to wait to check-in that Saturday afternoon, the guy there was friendly. The room was ok,
on the third level, a typical single room with one bed, a desk with TV and a chair.
The floor carpet not my choice, but between that everything ok.
Nice views to the harbour.
The bathroom with shower only, but also acceptable.
Only some meters from the hotels door to the harbour, the city center on the left, the oil museum around the corner on the right. Everything in walking distance.
City center means also center of nightlife, therefore some drunken loud folks on the street at night, but thats the price to pay for that location.
No noise from the rooms beneath.
Breakfast was ok, my departure was pretty early so everything there what I need.
Also no time to wait at check out and catch the "flybussen" again back to the airport,
ready for the next flights and also the next hotel!.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank FLIEGER67

Reviewed 19 August 2008

We stayed here in July 2008 for a long weekend and we had a fantastic time. The hotel has a fab location right on the water front in the centre of Stavnager. The views are amazing, especially from the 4th floor lounge area.
The hotel bar and the surrounding area does get busy at night but we never found the noise to be a problem. In fact we left the bedrom windows open all night and were never kept awake or woken up. Yes you could hear music, voices etc but thats all part of being in the centre of a city.
We had one of the hotels two suites on the top floor. We had the Park View Suite which had a view of the small park at the rear of the hotel. Being at the back it was cooler which was an advantage as the weather was so hot that weekend! The suite was lovely. It had a down stairs longe and dining area with TV and mini bar. There was also wardrobe space. Upstairs via a spiral staircase was the sleeping area with another lounge area, TV and more storage, and a dressing table. The bathroom was downstairs. My only, small complaint was that there was no bath, but the shower was great and we didn't really miss it. The whole suite was really clean and well appointed.
The public areas of the hotel were all really nice. The small lounge area on the 4th floor provided free tea, coffee and chilled water 24 hours a day which was great. We did not take advatage of the free waffles, just due to timing but I'm sure they were good. A note though that the waffles are served in the bar not the coffee lounge.
The sauna and steam room looked good, but it was far too hot outside for us to want to use them but I'm sure they would be great in cooler weather!
We missed breakfast both mornings due to us staying up so late and sleeping so well! We did use the hotel bar and found the staff really friendly.
The reception staff were great and really helpful. We arrived early in the morning, too early for check in, but they took our luggage and gave us a city map, pointing out areas of interest. The Gladmat Food Festival was on during our stay and they gave us the guide for that too. We really enjoyed trying all of the differant foods on offer!
The hotel is in an ideal location for exploring and Stavanger is a really compact city and easy to get around. The people are really friendly everywhere and the food is amazing! A must see is the Oil Museum which was fasinating, and the park with the lake is nice for a picnic. And try the wee bagel cafe - yum!
All in all we had a great time, and would go back to Stavanger and this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2008

The hotel is located at the harbor an close to town center
You are able to walk to restaurants and sites.
The location is great.

Rooms:
The room was nice.
Bed, Desk, TV.

Bathroom:
In the room.
The bathroom was fine, with toilet and shower.

Breakfast:
No complains

Staff:
Nice and no problems.
Good service

Internet:
Free internet, ask for code.

Parking:
There is a parking (not free) just behind the hotel.
It can be costly, if you like your car there alle day.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2007

I have stayed in this hotel at least 5 times once for 6 weeks whilst working in Stavanger. This hotel is always spot for clean rooms and comfort. It's more expensive through the week but a really good deal on the weekend. A room overlooking the harbour is a must and the mini-suites ( there's 2) are always a good upgrade. It's right in centre of town and there's a nice sauna and steam room. One of my top 5 hotels anywhere. Stavanger is a beautifully clean and friendly town, can get a bit lively on Fri/Sat night just go with the flow.

Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank Jonathan J
Reviewed 2 November 2007

I stayed here overnight on a business trip, arriving late one evening
and leaving immediately after breakfast the following morning.

The style was pretty minimalist, which is ok, but I found the steely grey doors a little depressing.

The room was adequate in size, and the furniture was comfortable, but
lacking in some basic amenities. For example there was no alarm clock, and no indication anywhere of how one might obtain a wake up call - essential in my case. In fact I couldn't find anything in the room listing hotel services. The shower could best be described as institutional. The heated floor in the bathroom was a nice touch, but I found it by accident as the label on the switch was in Norwegian only.

The breakfast may well have been good by Scandinavian standards, but most of it didn't appeal to me. The orange juice had run out, and I couldn't see any staff to ask for further supplies. On the plus side the coffee was good and the bread was certainly fresh.

Overall I had a satisfactory night here, but a little more effort by the management could have significantly improved the experience.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank Harpenden_Mike
Reviewed 27 June 2007

I really enjoyed my stay at the Skagen Brygge.

It is, of course, expensive (especially during the week) but then so are all Stavanger hotels. I do think it is the best hotel in Stavanger, and I have stayed in a few. I would recommend it above the more run of the mill business hotel chains.

The room was really nice with lovely views onto the harbour - I had a junoir suite although I though 'suite' might have mean it would be bigger. I would recommend upgrading to a sea view if you can afford it. Beds comfortable, ameneties sparkling clean. And a great sauna.

The breakfast were good, although not as good variety as you get, say in the Victoria. The service was always good.

The only negatives I can think of was that it got extremely hot during the day with the south facing windows, and it was also very light at night (the curtains didn't keep out the midnight sun as well as they might). But these were minor I thought.

All in all a lovely place to stay.

Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 5 January 2007

I am honestly sorry for it but I cannot recommend anyone to stay at this lovely hotel.
We arrived in Bergen the day before Xmas and were supposed to stay there for a total of 4 nights.
First the good bits:
The hotel itself is actually very nice. Pretty building and lovely view from the room. Sauna is excellent and the rooms are modern, clean and well looked after.
So at first we were really happy to stay there.
BUT:
We were happy until 1 am in the morning when the bar 100 yards away started playing loud music for 2 hours. REALLY loud so both of us woke up and we actually had to give up after some time and ask at reception for a room change.
So they gave us the room furthest away from the bar, at the back of the hotel (not much view there) and it was ok. But you could still hear the music, just quiet enough so we could sleep a bit.

And that was the day before Christmas; don’t ask me how summer will be. And according to the bars schedule they have life bands almost every day.
We complained at reception and were told that ‘This is something you have to live with in the city centre.’
Thanks…..
So we changed for the Radisson SAS, which is by far not as pretty but very quiet, friendly and just as close to the middle of town.

The Sakgen Brygge would have been 4 stars for me without the noise. But in this case I honestly think 1 star is good enough for a night without sleep.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple