“Nice , but dull.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Stavanger
Sarpsborg, Norway
“Nice , but dull.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Very good location , easy to reach everywhere in town . Short distance to the railway-station , and bus-terminal. Just a minute or two to the "Vågen " where all the sea-side beer-places are. Ten minutes to "Gamle Stavanger " The rooms were spasious enough, a mini-bar , but no safe in the room . Fourth etage was high enough to avoid any trafic-noise.. Our room was no 517. Good and healthy breakfast served from 7-11.Good selection of spread , warm and cold dishes. One negative thing , our room was not refundable , ie,: it would cost the whole stay to cancel.!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view , if that is importante. Our room No 517.was away from the front , away f...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thon_Hotel_Maritim, Administration at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Morty56,

Thank you for your review.

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and our central location in Stavanger.
We're very pleased to see that you also enjoyed our breakfast. A good breakfast is a focus point in Thon Hotels.

You will find a safe in upgraded rooms, but not in standard rooms - I`m sorry for that!
Maybe you chose a low-nonrefundable rate instead of a higher-refundable rate. You can choose the rate during the booking process.

I thank you again for a very pleasant review!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

I have been staying at many 4 star hotels around the world but this one is the worse one!In Norway one can expect to get the best for your money but not in THON hotel!Near by are hotels like Blue Radisson, Comfort Inn,Clarion and I am sure you will get more for your money there.We spent one week in this hotel as we looked for the best place during our business trip. We finished with nightmare!No blinds means that you will be not able to sleep up to 1:00am because of strong light outside.Soft bed means that you will have painful back whole days!(try to focus your mind to business if you are tired,without proper sleep,with painful back!-horrible!)No iron board, no iron in room.No kettle for tea and coffee in the room (just by reception).No toiletries at all!in 4 star hotel you will not get anything-just message pay extra!(for ~200EUR/GBP per night!?)no extra set of towels!no extra pillow!extremely small room.Tiles in bathoom from 1970's.Good that heated bathroom floor.Breakfast nice but every morning the same-should be some changes.2 lifts-one from 1979 and "out of order".Reception staff is useless! after my complain that water in toilet is running through just answer that no service man in the hotel at all and I have to wait one more day!!!in 4 star hotel?I got advice to do bumping on the toilet-sometimes it will help! whole night I did not sleep at all because of noizy toilet! For my money!

Room Tip: avoid romm 628 and all rooms under roof
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Stephanie G,

Thank you for your review.

I'm sorry to see that you did not find your stay with us enjoyable.

The size/ equipment of our standard rooms are according to Scandinavian standards, and we do also offer upgraded rooms which are bigger in size including the equipment you required.

We started to refurbish our bathrooms this year.

I do thank you again for your review, customer responses make us better!
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

Centrally located this Thon Hotel could have offered more in terms of service..I have been staying at many Thon Hotels but this one lack the touch of being city hotel..The rooms are ok depending which one you get and the toilet outdated ,,though bigger than a few Thon Hotels it needs some renovation..On the whole its ok for a night..

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Gautam m,

Thank you for your review!

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our central location in Stavanger.

We started to refurbish our bathrooms this year!

We hope to welcome you again at Thon Hotels!
The Hague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

Well run hotel with decent sized rooms and desk that you can work at if needed. Bathroom dated but clean. Staff efficient and friendly.

Situated near Stavanger "Pocket Cathedral" and the central lake - and within easy walking distance to many good restaurants.

Very nice Nescafé point in lobby area with Internet points (and free wifi throughout).

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Booking_Mngr_Maritim, Booking Manager at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Hi SirGoogle!

Thank you for you review!

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed tour stay with us!

I hope to welcome you back for another stay, and a cup of Nescafé :)

Best Regards Heidi Kleppe, Thon Hotel Maritim.
Bayreuth, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

We travelled with more 2 couples of friends, and the 3 rooms were excellent., although the bathroom was average. The bed was like clouds...the breakfast was wonderful. The hotel has excellente location, but very expensive.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Booking_Mngr_Maritim, Booking Manager at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Hi Taties!

Thank you for your review.

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to welcome you to us again in the future!

We are hoping to refurbish our bathrooms during 2013, and are working actively towards this.
As I have replied to some other travellers, Stavanger is a fairly expensive hotel city. However, we are in the midst range when it comes to price level.

I thank you again for a very pleasant review! :-)

Best Regards Heidi Kleppe, Booking Manager, Thon Hotel Maritim.
Kendal, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

If 200 UK pounds a night for a very average hotel is your thing then book up to stay at Thon Maritim ... I was booked in by my employer and had no say in it, and having read some of the other reviews below, I arrived with some trepidation. My unbiassed findings were ... Yes reception are friendly and helpful but you'd expect that in any hotel. I was given a top floor front-facing room with a lovely view of Breiavatnet. The room was NOT freezing as several other recent reviews mention, but perhaps on the cooler side compared to some of the sweltering saunas that some Stavanger hotels offer, and actually the room temperature was ideal for sleeping well ... which I did despite the ungenerously narrow bed which I estimated at 70cm wide. The bathroom was a bit dated, and the shower was emergency use only, totally inadequate and also difficult to stand in the narrow, steeply U-shaped bath. Liquid soap dispensers that look like Bang & Olofson speakers were inconveniently located under the shower head, so the soap was washed straight off my hand. In the bedroom instead of a wardrobe there is something that resembles an upturned palette attached to the wall, and hanging up clothes crease-free is a challenge that I failed to accomplish. There is WIFI, but annoyingly it is necessary to type in username and pass every single time you open your browser. There was also a mini-bar with the usual frightening prices ... £22 for half a bottle of cheap Spanish red wine anyone? The last comment I have to make is about breakfast ... which is an embarrassment when compared to breakfasts at any other comparably priced hotels in Stavanger. It is a self-serve buffet affair, but there just isn't much to choose from. Hot food consists of mini pølser, baked beans, batch-made scrambled eggs which tastes just plain old, and rubber fried eggs that look like ones you'd buy in a joke shop. Cold fare is good if you like an assortment of pickled herring and the usual reconstituted meat ham things and sliced cheese ... many of the above needed refilling but the staff neglected to keep on top of this all three mornings that I ate in there. A chef appeared at one point, but only to fill a pint glass with orange juice and soda, before scuttling back into the kitchen. Bottom line, this place needs to take a long hard look at itself and ask the difficult question "Are we worth 1800 NOK a night?" because from this reviewers' perspective, that'd be an emphatic NO.

Room Tip: Ask for a front-facing room overlooking Breiavatnet. My colleague also staying at the same time was...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Hi TheHikingDude!

Thank you for your review!

I'm glad to see that you found our staff friendly and helpful, a good room temperature, and that you got to enjoy the beatiful view of Breiavannet!

Out of over 200 rooms, we only have 8 rooms with single beds. I assume that you were staying on a fully booked night, and unfortunatly you got one of the single bedded rooms.
Please contact me if you're staying here in the future, and I'll make sure you get a double bedded room :-)

We are actively working towards getting our bathrooms refurbished during 2013, and are hopefull that we get to do this.

When it comes to price range, we are in the midst range of the Stavanger hotels. Stavanger is a fairly expensive city on certain weekdays, especially Tuesday and Wednesday.
For companies with a fair share of hotel nights, we always recommend contacting one of our account managers to get a company agreement. This will give you a favorable discount.

Wine, and other alchohols, are expensive in Norway, compared to other countries This is mainly due to the high level of taxes on theese types of products.

I'm very sorry for any lack of refilling at the breakfast buffet. I'll look into this!

I hope to see you again at Thon Hotel Maritim, and don't hesitate to contact me if I you have any questions in the future

Best Regards Heidi Kleppe, Booking Manager, Thon Hotel Maritim.
Cairo, Egypt
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Stayed there last night on business travel. Front desk staff was quite friendly and upgraded me to a suite. So I started with high hopes. But then I got to the room to find a run down 20 year old bathroom that was freezing cold and with peeling paint. The entire hotel was so very cold and there were no individual heating controls in the rooms. I did have a nespresso machine in my room, but no coffee. I called the front desk using my mobile phone, because the in-house phone was only busy signals. After finally getting through, I was told that I should come to reception and get the coffee myself. Breakfast was poor and, from the dining room, the kitchen staff could be clearly heard talking and goofing. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Hi Sorestis,

Thank you for your review.

I'm sorry to see that you did not find your stay with us enjoyable.

There are several ways to control the heating in our rooms. There's a heating panel in the room which allows you to control the heating system up ur down by 3 degrees celcius.
In addition there are ovens beneath the windows, which you can turn up or down as you please.

Regarding the coffe, might there have been a misunderstanding between you an the front desk staff? We don't have room service, but we do off course provide our guests with coffe if the in-room coffe machine is empty. I'm very sorry about this!

We get alot of good feedback on our breakfast, but I'm sad to read that you did not enjoy it.
Please let me know if there was anything specific you were missing, and I'll look into it.

I do thank you again for your review, customer responses make us better!

Best Regards, Heidi Kleppe, Booking Manager, Thon Hotel Maritim.