“Great Location - average hotel”
Review of Thon Hotel Maritim

Thon Hotel Maritim
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Stavanger
Heidelberg, Germany
“Great Location - average hotel”
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in the Thon Hotel to visit Stavanger. The hotel is located in the city center - very convenient in walking distance from the harbor, museums, main shopping street.

The room we had was nice and spacy. The bathroom however was rather old and needs renovation, especially when considering the rate we paid.

Parking is a bit of an adventure. The hotel has no direct parking attached, but will direct to an underground garage nearby, which is pretty tricky to find. Actually this is a former bunker / underground shelter - accessing with a big car needs good maneuvering skills.

Breakfast was very good - good variety on food, nice breakfast room.
Hotel is also good for travelling with kids.

• Stayed July 2013
Thon_Hotel_Maritim, Administration at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear cantaloop2,

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our central location in Stavanger and our breakfast. A good breakfast is a focus point in Thon Hotels.

We are hoping to refurbish our bathrooms during 2013/2014, and are working actively towards this.

I thank you again for a very pleasant review!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Spent 3 there for a conference. When I made my reservation (2 months before arrival date) I wrote and phoned to the hotel for making sure that I would be given a quiet room, located at a high floor, overlooking the small lake in front of the hotel and that this was guaranteed even though I was arriving late at night. They confirmed my request, but when I arrived I was given a very noisy room, at 1st floor, overlooking the living room of a house just behind the hotel... It took around 5 minutes walking from the lift to my room's door, moreover almost all the rooms close to mine were reserved to staff people that, of course, were walking along the corridors, opening and closing their doors all the time also at night. On the morning after I asked to change. The person at reception desk was kind and managed to give me a nice and quiet room at 5ft floor (though almost no view due to scaffholdings for restoration works). Spent one night there, had breakfast, attended my meeting and, before lunch, I went to change my clothes for enjoying a free afternoon. Unfortunately my door was closed. Asked reception for help and the guy said that I was supposed to depart on that day (despite my credit card had been charged for 3 nights at arrival time and my company's for the same 3 nights at reservation...), so they had disabled my room card. They eventually set things right, but it was really really annoying.
Standard hotel, rather expensive, bathrooms do really need a restoration.
I only liked breakfast and the THON umbrella you can use during your stay.
Will not stay there anymore.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Irene_85,

Thank you for your review.

We're very pleased to see that you enjoyed our breakfast. A good breakfast is a focus point in Thon Hotels.

I'm sorry to see that you had problems with your reservation/ room changing. The hotel is a city center hotel, for this reason it is difficult to book "quiet" rooms. When it comes to price range, we are in the lowest range of the Stavanger hotels. Stavanger is a fairly expensive city.

We hope to welcome you one more time at Thon Hotel Maritim - with a Thon umbrella as a special gift!
Sarpsborg, Norway
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Very good location , easy to reach everywhere in town . Short distance to the railway-station , and bus-terminal. Just a minute or two to the "Vågen " where all the sea-side beer-places are. Ten minutes to "Gamle Stavanger " The rooms were spasious enough, a mini-bar , but no safe in the room . Fourth etage was high enough to avoid any trafic-noise.. Our room was no 517. Good and healthy breakfast served from 7-11.Good selection of spread , warm and cold dishes. One negative thing , our room was not refundable , ie,: it would cost the whole stay to cancel.!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view , if that is importante. Our room No 517.was away from the front , away f...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Morty56,

Thank you for your review.

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and our central location in Stavanger.
We're very pleased to see that you also enjoyed our breakfast. A good breakfast is a focus point in Thon Hotels.

You will find a safe in upgraded rooms, but not in standard rooms - I`m sorry for that!
Maybe you chose a low-nonrefundable rate instead of a higher-refundable rate. You can choose the rate during the booking process.

I thank you again for a very pleasant review!
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I have been staying at many 4 star hotels around the world but this one is the worse one!In Norway one can expect to get the best for your money but not in THON hotel!Near by are hotels like Blue Radisson, Comfort Inn,Clarion and I am sure you will get more for your money there.We spent one week in this hotel as we looked for the best place during our business trip. We finished with nightmare!No blinds means that you will be not able to sleep up to 1:00am because of strong light outside.Soft bed means that you will have painful back whole days!(try to focus your mind to business if you are tired,without proper sleep,with painful back!-horrible!)No iron board, no iron in room.No kettle for tea and coffee in the room (just by reception).No toiletries at all!in 4 star hotel you will not get anything-just message pay extra!(for ~200EUR/GBP per night!?)no extra set of towels!no extra pillow!extremely small room.Tiles in bathoom from 1970's.Good that heated bathroom floor.Breakfast nice but every morning the same-should be some changes.2 lifts-one from 1979 and "out of order".Reception staff is useless! after my complain that water in toilet is running through just answer that no service man in the hotel at all and I have to wait one more day!!!in 4 star hotel?I got advice to do bumping on the toilet-sometimes it will help! whole night I did not sleep at all because of noizy toilet! For my money!

Room Tip: avoid romm 628 and all rooms under roof
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Stephanie G,

Thank you for your review.

I'm sorry to see that you did not find your stay with us enjoyable.

The size/ equipment of our standard rooms are according to Scandinavian standards, and we do also offer upgraded rooms which are bigger in size including the equipment you required.

We started to refurbish our bathrooms this year.

I do thank you again for your review, customer responses make us better!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Centrally located this Thon Hotel could have offered more in terms of service..I have been staying at many Thon Hotels but this one lack the touch of being city hotel..The rooms are ok depending which one you get and the toilet outdated ,,though bigger than a few Thon Hotels it needs some renovation..On the whole its ok for a night..

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Gautam m,

Thank you for your review!

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our central location in Stavanger.

We started to refurbish our bathrooms this year!

We hope to welcome you again at Thon Hotels!
The Hague
Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

Well run hotel with decent sized rooms and desk that you can work at if needed. Bathroom dated but clean. Staff efficient and friendly.

Situated near Stavanger "Pocket Cathedral" and the central lake - and within easy walking distance to many good restaurants.

Very nice Nescafé point in lobby area with Internet points (and free wifi throughout).

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Booking_Mngr_Maritim, Booking Manager at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Hi SirGoogle!

Thank you for you review!

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed tour stay with us!

I hope to welcome you back for another stay, and a cup of Nescafé :)

Best Regards Heidi Kleppe, Thon Hotel Maritim.
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We travelled with more 2 couples of friends, and the 3 rooms were excellent., although the bathroom was average. The bed was like clouds...the breakfast was wonderful. The hotel has excellente location, but very expensive.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Booking_Mngr_Maritim, Booking Manager at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Hi Taties!

Thank you for your review.

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to welcome you to us again in the future!

We are hoping to refurbish our bathrooms during 2013, and are working actively towards this.
As I have replied to some other travellers, Stavanger is a fairly expensive hotel city. However, we are in the midst range when it comes to price level.

I thank you again for a very pleasant review! :-)

Best Regards Heidi Kleppe, Booking Manager, Thon Hotel Maritim.