“Not bad - but not great”
Review of Thon Hotel Maritim

Thon Hotel Maritim
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Stavanger
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Excellent location on the lake and right near the port. Short walk to all kinds of great city attractions and restaurants. The hotel itself was adequate. The bed was comfortable. The TV temperamental. The service was good. It was just ok. Not great, not bad. This hotel is blessed with the slowest elevator I've been in. Can walk the stairs up and down several floors before it would arrive to pick you up.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Thon_Hotel_Maritim, Administration at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear SeanB_10,

Thank you for your review.

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and our central location in Stavanger.

We are hoping to change the elevators soon and are working actively towards this.

I do thank you again for your review, customer responses make us better!

We hope to welcome you again at Thon Hotels!

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed there for one night on a business trip.
The location is very good , close to everywhere ( 5 min walking from old city ).
The service was excellent I had some special request and the receptionist did her best.
Breakfast was very good with variety of food.
Internet was bit slow .
The bus from the airport stop just in front of the hotel.
Will come again if need to visit the city .

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank isr76

Dear isr76,

Thank you for your review.

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and our central location in Stavanger.

We hope to welcome you again at Thon Hotel Maritim soon!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

First time I'd stayed here. I made a point of asking for a quiet room and was rewarded with a very large, smart room including a bathtub with a jacuzzi button. A nice surprise. The hotel has some very long corridors, my room was quite a long way down one and around the corner, which was fine as it was quiet!
Service was good, lift was slow and I recommend taking the stairs! Central location in Stavanger, nice outdoor sitting space, breakfast standard Norwegian breakfast with good options for non-meat eaters (though even more for meat eaters!)
Nice to have windows that can open in case you want to let in air though there were builders working on scaffolding early in the morning around the hotel, I'm sure they won't be there for so much longer.
I'd stay here again

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan S

Dear Dan S,

Thank you for your review.

I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to welcome you to us again in the future!

I thank you again for a very pleasant review!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

My first impression of the Thon Maritim was not good. It is hard to find, the parking is in an old wet bomb shelter hidden on a side street two blocks from the hotel and you have to pay to park. The tunnels and parking spaces are very small and parking a large vehicle would be very difficult. The hotel appear run down and of course like all other hotels in Norway is under renovation. Our room beside looking through scaffolding, overlooked the room on the convention hall. Not good. I had written ahead to get a good room and this way it?? I took a smoking room to get above the roof of the adjoining building and although it smelled like smoke but it did have a very nice view of the park across the street. The room was very comfortable. After getting to know the neighborhood we realized that the hotel is in the perfect spot for Stavanger. Park across the street, two blocks from the port/wharf area and on the edge of the shopping area. The staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was very nice although the room is kind of dreary. The food was good. There is free lobby coffee that is very good. We stayed here for four nights and I enjoyed it more every day. We walked a lot around the port, park and shopping areas took ferries and tours and were comfortable going back and forth to the hotel. Clearly a room with a view makes all the difference in this hotel and there aren't very many of them.One complaint is they didn't really clean the room each day. They made the beds but crumbs and the like were never swept up. We caught the flybussen at the end of the park for the trip to the airport. It was close, easy and affordable. I would actually go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room above the front building so you can see the park.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear 0993,

Thank you for your review.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed our central location in Stavanger. It is always nice to read such a detailed and positive feedback. We really appreciate it.

The Hotel is, as you write, under renovation. Your next stay would be much better. We try to improve the hotel for our guests.

I do thank you again for your review, customer responses make us better!

We hope to welcome you again at Thon Hotel Maritim!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and couldn't fault the place. Nice, spacious and clean rooms with very soft pillows. Very friendly staff who were most helpful. Breakfast was great ( and being Norway a great cheap way to start the day).
Central location right by the lake and easy walking distance to harbour and old town.
Loved it.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mike O

Dear Mike O,

Thank you for your review!

I'm glad to see that you found our staff helpful and we are very pleased to see that you enjoyed our breakfast. A good breakfast is a focus point in Thon Hotels.

The hotel is located in the heart of Stavanger, and forms an excellent base for getting to know the city. We appreciate it, that you enjoyed our central location.

We hope to welcome you again at Thon Hotel Maritim!

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in the Thon Hotel to visit Stavanger. The hotel is located in the city center - very convenient in walking distance from the harbor, museums, main shopping street.

The room we had was nice and spacy. The bathroom however was rather old and needs renovation, especially when considering the rate we paid.

Parking is a bit of an adventure. The hotel has no direct parking attached, but will direct to an underground garage nearby, which is pretty tricky to find. Actually this is a former bunker / underground shelter - accessing with a big car needs good maneuvering skills.

Breakfast was very good - good variety on food, nice breakfast room.
Hotel is also good for travelling with kids.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear cantaloop2,

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our central location in Stavanger and our breakfast. A good breakfast is a focus point in Thon Hotels.

We are hoping to refurbish our bathrooms during 2013/2014, and are working actively towards this.

I thank you again for a very pleasant review!

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Spent 3 there for a conference. When I made my reservation (2 months before arrival date) I wrote and phoned to the hotel for making sure that I would be given a quiet room, located at a high floor, overlooking the small lake in front of the hotel and that this was guaranteed even though I was arriving late at night. They confirmed my request, but when I arrived I was given a very noisy room, at 1st floor, overlooking the living room of a house just behind the hotel... It took around 5 minutes walking from the lift to my room's door, moreover almost all the rooms close to mine were reserved to staff people that, of course, were walking along the corridors, opening and closing their doors all the time also at night. On the morning after I asked to change. The person at reception desk was kind and managed to give me a nice and quiet room at 5ft floor (though almost no view due to scaffholdings for restoration works). Spent one night there, had breakfast, attended my meeting and, before lunch, I went to change my clothes for enjoying a free afternoon. Unfortunately my door was closed. Asked reception for help and the guy said that I was supposed to depart on that day (despite my credit card had been charged for 3 nights at arrival time and my company's for the same 3 nights at reservation...), so they had disabled my room card. They eventually set things right, but it was really really annoying.
Standard hotel, rather expensive, bathrooms do really need a restoration.
I only liked breakfast and the THON umbrella you can use during your stay.
Will not stay there anymore.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Irene_85,

Thank you for your review.

We're very pleased to see that you enjoyed our breakfast. A good breakfast is a focus point in Thon Hotels.

I'm sorry to see that you had problems with your reservation/ room changing. The hotel is a city center hotel, for this reason it is difficult to book "quiet" rooms. When it comes to price range, we are in the lowest range of the Stavanger hotels. Stavanger is a fairly expensive city.

We hope to welcome you one more time at Thon Hotel Maritim - with a Thon umbrella as a special gift!