“Typical conference hotel”

Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Stavanger
Karmsund
“Typical conference hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Stayed here three days while on a business trip to Stavanger.

The service in the reception and in the sky bar / restaurant was good, even though the restaurant were over prized compared to the actual quality of the food served there. For instance the fish soup costs nearly NOK 200 and it was not even hot when I received it, and otherwise just ordinary. Consider paying NOK 90 for a beer, and then it is beer from the Tou brewery as well and not even good.

My room was in the 10th floor and the view was nice. A quite small room and an ordinary bed, and I missed a small table beside the bed. TV worked fine but the wifi was one of the worst I’ve experienced in a very long time, very slow and nearly not possible to use.

Bathroom was fine with a good shower.

The meeting rooms we used were quite ordinary as well and not very well equipped either.

Breakfast was ordinary also.

Lunch was quite good both days.

Location of the hotel is a couple of kilometers from downtown Stavanger and there is nothing to do in this area really.

Conclusion: I have used the word ordinary several times, thus this is my conclusion; just another ordinary hotel, but the service was quite good, that must be mentioned.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Marc D, Service Manager at Scandic Forum, responded to this review, 5 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you were more or less happy with your stay with us, but am sure we can do even better next time around. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you return to Stavanger and our hotel in the future.

Service Manager, Scandic Forum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Trondheim, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Finding a hotel room in Stavanger can be difficult, and iÍ ended up in the easy choice of no hotel or the outrageous price of 2540 kroner for a totally ordinary single room outside of the city centre. If the price was half of this, I wouldn´t have objected, but for this sum of money I would at least expect a junior suite or some kind if luxury. What I got was a cramped room, lousy TV quality, no decent clothes hangers and stained furniture. I total rip off! I will not come back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am sorry about you poor experience with us, but am sure we can do even better next time around. The prices are nowhere near as expensive, and our hotel has had an upgrade in many of the rooms. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you return to Stavanger and our hotel in the future.

Service Manager, Scandic Forum

Travellers are raving about these Stavanger hotels

Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and the hotel was lovely. The breakfast is the best i have ever eaten ! It was immaculate and the staff in the restaurant were really friendly and helpful - they even had dairy free milk ! The only slightly bad point is the location, its slightly out of the way however, the bus services are great and it is also closer to the airport. The restaurant on the top floor has the most amazing views. I'd definitely recommend the hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: try to get a room as high up as possible to see the amazing views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julia J

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you were happy with your stay with us and please feel free to get in touch with me if you return to Stavanger and our hotel in the future.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

When you first get here it seems cold and sterile, but that proved to be wrong. The staff was very professional and took care of business. Very clean,and salmon for dinner was great. Breakfast was good assortment of items, but the strudel and the cream puffs are all you need! Don't bother with eggs, bacon, waffles, go for the cream puffs you will be very happy. The only negative was size of room, what a joke! Not enough room for two adults, if you have more than one suitcase there is nowhere to put them. All else good just waaaay to small!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you were more or less happy with your stay with us and please feel free to get in touch with me if you return to Stavanger and our hotel in the future, as we do have bigger rooms that could have solved your problem. These rooms also have amazing views over the entire city and beyond.

Dana Point, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Hotel looks cold and formal being that it is a high tower up on the hill in Stavanger, However, actually the opposite is true. the hotel is friendly and very accommodating. As in most places in Norway, language is NOT a barrier in that all those under 50, generally speak very, very good english. We came in very late, close to midnight, but this was not a problem, they treated us no different than if we had come in at 16:00. Our room was clean and not that small compared to other hotel rooms in Norway. Breakfast in the morning was truly exceptional, literally 10 if not 20 different choices for food types to eat. Everything you could possibly think of to eat. They personally serve you coffee or tea at your table, though it is self-serve breakfast. If you don't see what you like, just ask, I did, and got it, no problem ! Wow ! Very friendly staff. We never go any place else when in Stavanger. I assume that the other Rica hotel in Stavanger, the Rica Park, closer to the harbor, is the same though have never stayed there. you will not go wrong staying here when in Stavanger. Perfect !

Room Tip: Try the restaurant and the breakfast area, terrific !
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

South Bend, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We had a room on 17th floor. Fabulous views blocked in part, unfortunately by the mist and fog. The room was plenty large for two if you don't need to move around too much. Why they charge for regular TV channels, but give free WiFi I don't understand. Comfy bed, very clean, interesting shower design. The conference center is adjacent, but the city center is about 2 km away, but a pleasant walk even in the mist. As much as I enjoyed the walk, I might look for something near the city center in the future. Great service and good breakfast in the breakfast room on 21st floor. Nice desk clerk who is really helpful. Construction going on around the hotel and at the hotel are not at all inconvenient and really a non-issue.

Room Tip: Breakfast is on 21st floor. Even numbered rooms may have a more interesting view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank compost4all

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am glad you were more or less happy with your stay with us (even though we are not right in the city centre) and please feel free to get in touch with me if you return to Stavanger and our hotel in the future.

Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

I stayed one night at the Rica Forum, and while the hotel itself is fine, it does nothing to impress me. Location is a bit away from the downtown area, but most guests are probably in town for some conference in the area. The hotel has wifi in all rooms, as to be expected and boasts an impressive view if the weather is nice. The lack of a gym and pool is in part compensated by the fact that you can run aroun the nearby Mosvatnet if you're in need of some excercise. Breakfast was OK, and the service good. All in all, no catastrophes, but no wow-factor either.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view (obviously).
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business