“Great for a short stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Svithun Hotel

St. Svithun Hotel
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Stavanger
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great for a short stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Following a Scout Jamboree outside of Stavanger, our group toured around Norway, travelling back to Stavanger to fly home the next day. We chose this hotel as it was cost friendly and looked nice. We took a bus from the Train station and got off at our stop after about a 15 minute ride.

The entrance to the hotel is a short walk from the bus stop. We entered the lobby to find a large social area and a shop. There were lots of mothers pushing their new born babies around in transportable cots. At this point we didn't realise that the hotel is connected to a hospital.

We were shown to our rooms and given room keys. I was in a room with two of my friends. The room was a tad small, however it didn't bother me too much as we were only there for one night. The beds were quite roomy and very comfortable. We had a small wardrobe and a desk with a TV on it. The bathroom was quite big, and had a lovely warm shower.

On our last morning in Norway, we went downstairs to breakfast, and I was very impressed. There was a big buffet with a wide variety of food. There was all the British classics; bacon, scrambled egg; sausages, to name just a few. There was lots of cheeses and hams, as well as about 5 different types of cracker. There was a whole table full of fresh bread, and lots of different juices. There was also loads of fresh tropical fruit, and bowls of fresh yoghurt.

I enjoyed my stay here very much, it was warm and welcoming. I would defiantly stay here again if I ever returned to Stavanger.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
vins100
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked this hotel for a business trip which required me to be close to our meeting location. The day before our arrival we were informed that because of hospital constraints (they needed to have more beds):
"Sorry to inform you that we have to relocate your reservation with us tomorrow.
This due to our relations with Stavanger Hospital, who we share buildings with, and our obligation to host patients and their families."

We were transferred to a hotel that was 20 mn driving.

If you're ready to take the risk, this hotel might be good. Personaly, next time, I will not book with them.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Stavanger hotels

Vejle, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Have until now stayed numerous times in Stavanger, but never in St. Svithun.
Finding the Hotel was a small challenge, as the GPS said that it was at/inside the Stavanger Hospital, which we were sure couldn't be right, but after searching for other options for 10 minutes we drove to the front of the Hospital, and there it was St. Svithun Hotel.
Have in mind if you go there by car, you need to drive arround the Hotel to get to the parking lot.
Checking in was also a small experience, there are 3 checkin counters 2 for the Hotel and 1 for the Hospital.
Rooms are very Hospital style, and beeds as well as bathroom comes with an alarm clock, where you can call for assistance.
Single rooms are pretty small and very basic.
Hotel restaurant is the hospital cafeteria, where they also serve the breakfast.

If you have relatives in the hospital, this is the perfect place to stay
If you're travelling and just need a place to stay/sleep, this is OK
If You're on holiday, you should look for another place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mortennielsen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was looking for a hostel like experience but with a private room, in the city center and thought that was what I was booking with this place based on the description. My private room was nice and clean however it was very very hot, no a.c. even though the description said there would be. The window only opened a crack to let a little cool air in but come 6 am it was too noisy outside to have it open. I thought that there would be a nice common area and bar like in most hostels but all there was was a lobby and expensive restaurant full of hospital patients. I realized when I booked it that it said there was a hospital attached, I didn't think I'd actually be sharing common areas, a hotel is suppose to be a hotel, not a hospital. The "close" walk to city center was actually 2 miles. There was nothing next to the hotel. There is a bus stop next to the hotel which was very helpful. We ended up renting a car and were surprised about having to pay for parking, there isn't any free parking around. This place was too expensive for what it was. I only recommend it in a pinch, if everything in town is sold out or way too expensive, otherwise avoid.

• Stayed August 2013
Spydeberg, Ostfold, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

hotel on the hospital? yes it does exist. at first we were not quite sure if the details was correct but when we got there it was really really beside on the hospital. First question that i asked on the receptionist was, is it safe to stay on the hotel? is there a risk for being infected? better safe than never..and yes it was safe to stay there. anyways, its the cheapest hotel we found and imagine, its NORWAY! nothing is cheap in this country. to make things short. Breakfast was good. Bathroom was good. Everything was good. Bus stop is ca. 3mins walk. overall, it was a pleasant stay in Stavanger. No disturbance from any ambulance sirens at all!.I will recommend this to my friends.

Room Tip: we stayed on room 324 and its quiet a good spot. :)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

The rooms are nice and quiet, quite high standard, good beds, everything looked pretty new, very clean bathroom... Not far from the center by bus, but get a three day pass, as each trip will cost 30nok and going by foot makes for a very boring and complicated 30-minute walk pretty much beside the freeway.

• Stayed July 2013
Lakewood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Yes, as everyone else is saying, it IS located alongside the hospital, which COULD possibly be a bit awkward to some people, but it didn't bother me. I was there as an outpatient when I lost my apartment and didn't have a new place to stay, and in the midst of it all, had a heart attack because of the stress, so when I was released, the nurses asked me to stay at the hospital for a few days so if I had another attack, I would be right there. I stayed there until I found a friend who would let me stay with him until I could make arrangements to move back home in California.

I found the stay rather nice. They do have free continental breakfast every morning, which makes the stay that much more worth it. The breakfast consists of cold cuts, slices of tomato, slices of "paprika" (that's what they call both red and green bell pepper), a choice of bread, butter or margarine, jelly, and they also have fruit wedges of watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon. You also have a choice of coffee, orange juice, apple juice, or just plain water to drink.

The breakfast is offered in the hotel's little café, before opening hours, which IS a bit pricey, so you'll want to make sure to be there before they close the breakfast line. You'll have to ask the desk clerk the hours, as it seemed to change from day to day while I was there.

If you miss the breakfast, you could either buy a sandwich and soda at the 24-hour hotel kiosk, or if you feel up for a little 5 minute walk, there's a Co-op Prix grocery store across the street from the hotel parking lot and to the right where you can buy some fresh foods to make your own meal (cold foods, though, as there's no kitchen facilities available).

There's also an Esso gas station a little further away (about another 5-minute walk further from Prix) that sells hamburgers, hot dogs, and other warm food at "reasonable prices", and I put that in quotes, because if you're traveling from the USA, you won't think they're reasonable, because everything in Norway cost so much more, but they ARE "the going rate" (for Norway). An example of how much you should expect to pay is for a hamburger, French fries, and Coke, medium menu, just about anywhere in Norway, it'll cost you about 110 Kroner, which in American money, is about $18.50.

This is probably not the best place to stay if you are driving, as some people have stated, for there IS a parking lot with plenty of parking spaces, but it's not free, and the hotel doesn't give validation for it. If you are on foot, or travel by bus, then it's not so bad.

There are two bus stops adjacent to the hospital/hotel. Straight out from the door (I think it's on the west end), is the number 11 bus, but I wouldn't recommend you take that one, as that'll just get you to the bus station, where you'll have to walk around a little lake to get into the heart of town. If you walk straight out from the door until you reach the crosswalk, and once you're on the sidewalk, turn to the left, you'll reach the number 4 bus, but to get to the one you want, you'll have to go under the underpass to get to the other side of the street, and turn to the left to get to that bus stop. That one will take you into the heart of town. If you are afraid of missing it, just ask the bus driver to let you know when you reach the Stavanger Stor Senter, otherwise known as Arkaden.

The hotel rooms are nice, neat, and clean. There's a small refrigerator, flat-screen TV, and free Internet. I would rather it have a swimming pool, but it doesn't. All in all, it's a nice place to stay if you just want a place to stay, but if you're looking for all the amenities of a five-star hotel, this ain't the place! It really ISN'T bad for the price, though.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo