“Good food but some elements overpriced. Service average.”
Review of Out Of The Blue - CLOSED

Out Of The Blue
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Recently visited this restaurant that was recommended to us by a friend on a Friday lunchtime. The quality of the ingredients was good and the lunchtime two course was good value. However, the al a carte menu was somewhat overpriced for what you actually got with the mains probably in the region of £5.00 over what the real value should be bearing in mind the ingredients and skill level to cook. If you were to visit then I would go for the two course menu for value. I would also advise to get the waitress to read back the order to you to ensure you get what you ordered. Although they were prepared to change the order it was after some friendly discussion as to what had been heard/written down. Need to adopt a more 'customer is right' attitude maybe?

1  Thank Gary064

Reviewed 10 April 2012

My wife and I visited Out of the Blue last Friday because we read some of the good reviews this restaurant in Mumbles has. Well, I have to say that it was an extremely disappointing experience. Out of the Blue is the perfect place if you want overpriced, poorly-cooked food. My wife had a seafood risotto which was just average/below average. But I had a seafood/fish plate which was horrible - the calamari were cold, the salmon was overfried/reheated, the mussels were simply appalling, and the fish was poorly fried.

In addition to this, my wife and I shared a starter - seared king scallops (literally four of them), a glass of wine, and a lemonade. All together, it was 51 pounds. I don't mind paying this money if the food is good, but in this case it was simply appalling. One more element for you to have in mind - the bread that they served us was hard as a stone.

We spent three wonderful days in Mumbles during Eastern and Out of the Blue was by far the worst part of it.

5  Thank Mateo C
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Good, fresh local seafood. Went for dinner on first night of new Spring menu in Easter Week. Good, tasty seafood - however disappointed with creativity of kitchen staff with seafood combo. Hake grilled (overcooked) - prawns and calamari all fried. Surely there must have been some alternative ways to cook so that 2/3rds of the dishes were not fried. Side of potatoes - also sauteed.
Seafood was fresh. Price is high for the quality of what you get. Nicest/poshest restaurant in The Mumbles....so obviously paying a premium for this.

2  Thank tahirs
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We ate here at lunchtime in January, so the restaurant was quite empty, but this meant the service was very good. There was a good choice of mainly fish dishes, but with meat and vegitarian options too. We were offered the A La Carte menu, specials board (which had a lot on it) and the lunch set menu for £12.95 for 2 or £15.95 for 3 courses. We mainly ate from the set menu, but I did have the calamari rings from the specials board to start, which were wonderful! All 4 of us had the sea bass with a cream sauce, prawns and leeks for main course. When it arrived the fillet did look quite small, especially compared to the ones on display on ice by the front door (I guess you get these from the A La Carte menu) but along with the veg and potatoes it was just enough. The fish was amazing, cooked very well, with a great sauce and succulant prawns, very impressed! We decided to have sweet and I have to say the creme brulee was out of this world, with a great sound when you hit the sugar with a spoon. Overall a very enjoyable lunch, very tasty and a good standard for a set menu, slightly larger portions for the main course would not have gone a miss though.

2  Thank Patrick186466
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Oh dear. Haven't quite got it all together. Service a bit week, stressed if rushed, poor value and not the best meal either. Better places nearby.

3  Thank Sipsiwn