“A very pleasant surprise”
Review of Out Of The Blue - CLOSED

Out Of The Blue
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 August 2013

To be honest the Mumbles - a rocky and "historical" bay outside Swansea, on the way to some really fine beaches like Three Cliff and Rhossili (these two locations are worth a summer trip to Wales, in my opinion) - is not at first sight the place where you expect to find gourmet cuisine and a small gem of a restaurant, family-run and with the greatest attention to quality and details. But this is exactly what the aptly named Out of the Blue is: on the shore front of the Mumbles but easy to miss (go towards Verdi, look for a blue-coloured entrance door), this restaurant specialized in fish dishes and run by a father-son Sicilian team (with the son in the kitchen), is a very pleasant surprise. Everything is great, from the fresh oysters to the fish platter (with very lightly fried fish). The price is more London than Wales, but the quality is competitive with the best fish cuisine in the country. Closed on Sundays and Mondays, though...

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Great lunch exactly what was advertised on menu . Spot on . Why dont negative reviewers speak to the staff/ chef when they are having a terrible time? Surely they deserve a chance .

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Service terrible, food overpriced and, unforgivably for a fish restaurant overcooked.

My first choice was off, my second choice was off and ten minutes after making an order I was told that my third choice was off as well. On a fish restaurant menu with only 7 options one of which was meat and one vegetarian this was beginning to sound like the cheese shop sketch. The speciality Mediterranean breads was a sliced baguette at £3.95. When challenged they said (yes you've guessed it) the speciality bread was off and they thought this would do. In other words they hoped I might not notice. The main course was which was not what I had wanted to order anyway was overcooked but by this time it was clear that further complaint would get nowhere.

By the time we left I felt like I had spent a lot of money to have someone take the piss out of me.

7  Thank Hillsidepaul
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and i visited 'out of the blue' on Saturday 10th August for my birthday meal. On entering we were left standing by the door for a few minutes while what appeared to be the only waiter ignored us while he worked out someone's bill. A simple acknowledgement would have kept us happy but this wasn't the case. We were finally showed to our table by the waiter who gave us the impression that it was an inconvenience that we had arrived. He left a special board by our table with no menu's and disappeared for a further 10 minutes. He finally brought menus and told us all of the items that were not available. I find this frustrating as it wasn't a late table. We looked at the menu which had none of the items advertised on their online menu and was littered with spelling mistakes. For a restaurant that charges between £8 and £10 for most starters, and £21-£25 for most mains I find this extremely insulting. After another 10 minutes the waiter arrived to take a drinks order. We were sat on a table right by the kitchen, I usually like the fact that you can see into a kitchen of a restaurant but this was something else! A team of people with very limited English shouting at each other in italian with no concern for diners at all. There was also a very annoying bell that kept ringing, but we couldn't tell where it was coming from, if this had signified that food was ready for service I wouldn't have minded but I saw hardly any food leave the kitchen. By now we had been in the restaurant for 30 minutes and still had no drinks. I could see the waiter who had taken our drinks order calculating someone else's bill and that our drinks still hand't been prepared. We took this as our cue to leave. I explained to a man who had spent a lot of time standing in the door of the kitchen that we had waited 30 minutes and still had no drinks and that we were leaving. I'm not sure if he understood me and just muttered 'ok'. As we were leaving another diner told us that we had made the 'best decision'. In a nutshell I wouldn't go back here if you paid me. I can't even comment on the food but on reading some other reviews am happy that we left when we did.

8  Thank Laura P
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Visited ''Out of the Blue'' twice in a week both times the fish was excellent! starters are large and the Sea Food Platter at £23 was very good value, fresh skate, a large bowl of local superb mussel's,white-bate, calameries and vegetables with sauteed potatoes.
As a comparison if you have eaten at a Loch Fyne Restaurant then ''Out of The Blue'' is in the Premier League!

1  Thank Trickytwo