Norton House Hotel & Restaurant
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Beachcomber(Swansea)
US$111
  • Breakfast included
US$181
The Alexander(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$75
The White House(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$61
Priceline
US$162
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Travelodge Swansea Central Hotel(Swansea)(Great Value!)
US$75
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsseafood bistrowedding partyfunction roomwedding breakfastlovely buildingbridal suiteporknew ownersgarden roomsunday lunchfull welsh breakfastwedding receptionthe main housethree course mealwide choiceexcellent qualityfirst class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed in a Standard Room at Norton House Hotel recently on a weekend away in Swansea. Beautiful area and lovely property. The breakfast was fantastic. It was a lovely morning so the french doors were open and letting a slight sea breeze in. Service from check in to check out was impeccable. Better than some five star properties I have stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank samuelheffernan88
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Property is quite shabby. Avoid rooms 18-21, which involve walking under an archway where the staff clearly do their smoking (lots of fag ends on ground) and beer kegs are stored. Not so lovely view of the back of the kitchen, with accompanying cacophony of saucepans.

My room had a TV which didn't work, no wifi, a stained ceiling from water damage, scratched and sagging furniture, and a cramped bathroom. The room was clean but the bin had not been emptied. I asked to change room but was told they were fully booked. Some people were on same booking as me, but had not arrived but I was not given the choice of swopping to another room on the booking. I was woken early by the sound of the person above me moving round - not their fault, clearly no insulation or sound-proofing.

No wifi in rooms, told free wifi was available in main hotel but my devices did not pick it up, so pretty hopeless

The saving grace was the breakfast, which was cooked to order and very nice. Lots of choice at the buffet also.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 18-21
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Jennifer1101
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Really got the last room as we were passing through and decided we liked Mumbles. Hotel up the road was full but called Norton House where a room was available. We had room 18, an attic room in the annex and quite warm as was the weather generally. No air con but 2 fans in the room and additional ones were offered. Furnishings oldish and housekeeping we felt was poor. We had twin beds and pushed them together only to find an insect cemetery under the bed. I moved the bed back before my partner noticed. In hindsight the staff were kind I am sure had I complained they would have done a quick clean up. Food in the restaurant was freshly prepared, tasty and well presented and well priced. Breakfast was included in the rate and was excellent. Close to the seafront with a lovely walk into the centre. Internet in our room was not working but it was good in the lobby. Room Price was probably on the high side for the quality compared to other hotels of similar standing but not all are 5 minutes walk to the seafront!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HanoiHarry
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We rented out an apartment from the hotel for 4 of us for a stopover the night before graduation. Staff were very friendly upon check in and the apartment is very clean, the beds are extremely comfortable and have a shower room, bathroom and kitchen with bar stools to eat.

I would recommend this as a base to go and explore the gower and surrounding area as you can come back to somewhere warm, clean and dry.

There is a restaurant but did not try it and I did not actually enter the hotel part as the apartments are across the free and large car park/courtyard.

Our reservation said both with breakfast and without, so they provided us with it at no hassle. They even made us bacon sandwiches to take away so as not to be late for graduation.
Only slight quibble was that the shower room door (off a bedroom) did not close.

I would recommend this to a friend and would stay again if I were to return to explore the gower. And you can't really go wrong when we paid roughly £25 per person for the apartment! Brilliant.

Room Tip: We stayed in 'Langland' apartment.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Globetrotter311
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We've just attented a wedding at the Norton house hotel and as we're not local decided to stay for two nights as well so we could spend more time with the bride and groom and less time travelling, on arrival we were pleased with the reception area, it looked well maintained and the receptionist was polite and welcoming.
We we're told our room was in the separate annex and this is where my opinion started to change...on walking into the entrance it was obvious that it was in need of some TLC but I assumed this was down to it being a high traffic area.
On entry to our room it became apparent that this wasn't one of the "newly refurbished" rooms, the carpets and walls were damaged and stained and many of the fixtures and fittings were either not fit for purpose or completely broken, the general cleanliness of our room left a lot to be desired . Our initial instinct at this point was to cancel our booking and find somewhere else but after a very long car journey and as not to add any negativity to the wedding party we decided to wait and see what the service was like before was made a hasty retreat.
So after reading all of this you may wonder why we've still given 3 stars for value and 4 for overall experience? Well,simply put the food and service in the main hotel and throughout the wedding reception exceeded our expectations, so much so that we decided to stay the duration purely on these grounds.
After seeing the rooms of some of out other guests it has become apparent that we "drew the short straw" Many of the rooms do seem to be of a higher standard than ours. Would we stay again? Only if it was possible to book specific rooms.

• Stayed: July 2014