“Nice rooms and it stops there......”

Four Points by Sheraton Penang
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tanjung Bungah
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here for 1 night on the 11th June as I could not stay in my regular hotel as it was fully booked. I have heard from my staff that this is a newly refurbished hotel and I should give it ago. I was impressed when I first walked into the hotel. Staff was friendly, check in was efficient, beautiful view of the ocean from the lobby and the room was nice, clean and good size. I had a beautiful view of the ocean from my room. Bathroom was a tad small but I was ok with it.
The nightmare started when my staff and I decided to have dinner at "The Eatery" the only restaurant in the hotel. When we walked in at around 18:45 staff was more interested in talking amongst themselves. Restaurant was empty besides the 2 of us. Maybe they felt that they wanted to give us time to settle in. After 20 mins I had to asked for the menu, when the beef tenderloin arrived I never ever had the chance to experience eating a road kill or chewing on a leather belt until I had that piece of beef tenderloin. It was disgraceful.
Next morning I decided to go to the gym to work off the "beautiful" piece of tenderloin I had (NOT!) and to my shock horror when I walked into the hotel gym at around 6 am.....the gym had dirty towels strewn all over the place and used plastic cups was all around the gym. I could not believed what I was seeing.
You think to your self this must be the end of my nightmare in this hotel but no....went down for breakfast at 8:45 and the place was packed. That is expected especially when it was school holidays. When I went to to grab my breakfast nothing was refilled...most of the buffet trays were empty or scraps left behind. This was a disgrace when they brought me my bill for RM50 ringgit.
I was so glad to be only staying for only 1 night and I swear to myself I will never walk back into this hotel again. We'll this hotel has now been placed in the company list as one of the hotels that we will never use again. All I can say is the state of the hotel reflects poorly on the management. I give this hotel another 6 months and it will be in a sad state. To the management team that runs the hotel....I just want to say the hotel is a reflection of your leadership and "YOU" are the hotel. All of you need to go back to basics on how to run a hotel. If that was my hotel, I would replace all of you!! Thank you so much for setting a new benchmark in what a poorly run hotel should look like"

Room Tip: Stay away from the restaurant unless you want to experience bad food and service.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Fasted09
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Hi there Fasted09 and thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on your stay.
I am very sorry that we did not meet your expections during your stay. It is very obvious that we dropped the ball on more than one occasion and I feel sorry that this happened during the time you were with us. Rest assured that I do not want to be know for mediocre service and that I have taken immediate action for such things not to re-occur. On a more postive note, thank you for pointing out the friendly associates in other areas and the efficient check-in.
I hope that in time, you will give us another opportunity to convince us of our usual high standards.
Best Regards - Kurt.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Five days at this hotel was the perfect way to end an amazing trip to Borneo and Penang. From the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough for us to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. Amerjeet organised a late check out for us on the Friday, although the hotel was fully booked out for the weekend and the new patrons needed to get in ASAP. Alam, Rony, Vernice, Khairy, China and Daneesh did everything in their power to make our stay enjoyable and were always up for a chat when we bumped into them. The Ocean View Rooms provided a spectular view of the beachfront and the room staff kept our room very clean and tidy. I would recommend this hotel to anybody who wanted to experience the friendliness of the staff, excellent service and great views.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John J
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Hi there John J and thank you very much for reviewing your stay at Four Points by Sheraton Penang.
Thank you mostly for pointing out the friendliness of our associates, which is what we pride the most on.
I hope to welcome you back again very soon and remain with very best regards.
Kurt.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel has excellent beachfront and a nice, airy lobby. The room was very comfortable with fluffy pillows and firm bedding, although the bathroom was a bit small, Everything looks new and well-maintained. The view of the beach with coconut trees, fine sand with lots of seashells and blue skies was captivating. The only drawback was the inadequate parking. Due to limited space, many guests had to double park.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hi there gelaine250 and thank you for your review on your stay at Four Points by Sheraton Penang.
I'm very happy to read that we met your expectations and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

If not for Malcom, the front desk manager who salvage our day, I will rate this hotel very lowly.
I checked in at 2pm but was told the room will not be ready for another 45mins!
We have not had lunch yet and intended to check in and go out, but he offered us free lunch in the restaurant while waiting. It was very nice gesture from Malcom!
When we checked in and I was having my bath, I realized they did not refill the shower cream and shampoo! Then they did not have the bath towel in the bathroom!
I called 3 times, and 30mins, before I got my towels! This is really not acceptable and showed they rush through the housekeeping to give me the room!
The beach in front is small area with full of seashells, so kids has to be very careful when walking.
The hotel vicinity has nothing, no local food stall or convenient stall.
I do not see any shuttle bus service.

Overall, I may not want to stay in this hotel again due to the room service and location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hi there Desmondcheng and thank you for choosing to stay at our resort during your trip to Penang.
I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment in terms of room readiness. It is true that we are guaranteeing the rooms to be ready by 3pm, however if the hotel is not fully booked the night prior and we do have rooms available, then we will certainly issue keys prior to 3pm if guests arrive early. I am happy though to read that Malcolm offered a complimentary lunch even before the guaranteed check-in time of 3pm. I am sorry to read about the late delivery of the towels and toiletries.
The size of the beach is always changing according to the tides and this area is known for wonderfull shells washing ashore, which our guests like to collect and take back home.
Our hotel is the first beach-hotel when leaving Georgetown, so many guests are commenting postively about the location. It is correct that if you are looking for more local food-stores, you would have to drive about 10km down towards Battu Ferringi, to which we are offering a complimentary transportation every day at 7pm.
I hope though despite your disappointment, I will still have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Thank you and best regards - Kurt.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Nice location , nice view. I stayed for one night at 1st Floor Deluxe sea view, this is just the perfect view for the beach of the hotel. I like this room very much though not a spacious room. But for spending bout 400MYR incl. tax with the surrounding and view , worth it.
A pity, the hotel seriously lack of parking lot for driver. Thwed ey provide car jockey service and asking to leave your car key, but I think lots of ppl just like me dun used to let other ppl `taking care ` of their vehicle, so everytime when return to hotel I need a great efforts to wait for a lot especially at night.
Also they dun allowed guest to open the windows.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi there MiingChan and thank you for posting a review on your stay with us.
I agree that the views of our rooms facing the ocean are truly spectacular, especially in the morning time. I am sorry that we have limited car-parking, however we do offer valet service at no charge. Alternatively if guests prefer not to leave their car-keys with valet, we can certianly
guide to where the nearest car-park is located.
I hope though this won't hold you back from returning to us and i hope to see you again here very soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Overall the hotel staff are good with friendly service. Rooms design & deco are modern minus the bathroom which is small and without shower curtain. It wets the entire floor every time I shower. Breakfast was good, especially the coffee. The beach was clean and swimming pool are great for family relaxing. Car park is a major problem as there are not enough space if there is function. They do provide car jockey but I am not comfortable by leaving my car key overnight. Lift need an upgrade as it broke down and I was trap inside during my stay. Finally maybe the hotel can upgrade the key card system to prevent non in house guest venturing in to the hotel floor. Hope to return again.

2  Thank ckloke
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hi there ckloke and thank you for posting a review on your experience with us.
Thank you very much for your praise and for the suggestions for improvement. I am sorry that the elevator was out of service unexpectedly for a moment during your stay and I'm even more sorry that this happened to you whilst you were inside the elevator. I hope though this won't keep you from returning back and that we can welcome you again very soon.
Thank you very much.
Kurt.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Having spent the week in Malaysia on a business trip it was nice to settle in at the Four Points by Sheraton for my final night away and a bit of free time. The hotel was clean, modern and good value for money. The rooms were fresh and bright and the Deluxe Seaview Rooms had beautiful views of the ocean.

Staff at the Four Points by Sheraton Penang were fantastic. They went out of their way to accommodate and offered exceptional customer service!

The location is great for some but may not be for others - it depends on what you are wanting from your stay in Penang. It is situated in a quieter area between two of the main tourist areas - Batu Ferringhi (along the beach where the night markets are, restaurants, bars, trishaws and street food) and Georgetown (the city centre where you can visit temples, heritage buildings and shopping malls).

If you are wanting to explore both of these areas then the Four Points by Sheraton is perfect! Batu Ferringhi is approximately 15 minutes by car in one direction and Georgetown is approximately 20 minutes drive in the other. The hotel offers a free transfer at 11:00am to Georgetown and then another free transfer at 7:00pm to get to Batu Ferringhi for the night markets. It is then a cheap taxi ride to get back from either (around RM20 - RM30).

If, however, you are wanting to step out of your hotel and be right in the heart of the action (and walking distance to many eateries/bars/night markets etc) then you may want to stay elsewhere - I'd personally recommend Batu Ferringhi for this.

Overall this was a great hotel and experience. Thank you to the lovely staff at the Four Points Sheraton Penang!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Hi there Cmp14 and thank you very much for posting a review on your stay with us at Four Points by Sheraton Penang.
I'm very happy to read that you found our associates exceptional in offering service. This is what we pride the most on and I'm happy to see that you appreciated this.
I also agree to your statement that our location is perfect for any traveler that wants to get a glimpse of Batu Ferringhi AND of Georgetown, as we are smack in the middle of both attractions.
In fact, we are offering complimentary transportation to both these areas once per day.
Thank you once again for posting a review and I look very much forward to welcome you back again. Best Regards - Kurt.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung Bungah
#2 of 6 in Tanjung Bungah
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
#2 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Penang? Share your experiences!