“Beautiful resort with fabulous beach”
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Reviewed 16 March 2013

La Samanna is a resort with a beautiful beach. I stayed in a Terrace suite, everything in the room was perfect: beautifully decorated, big bathroom with shower and bathtub, lots of wardrobe space, comfortable bed , living area , small kitchenette with pod coffeemaker, roof solarium and balcony with amazing views. Everyone was very friendly, great service. Loved the breakfast, good variety, but what I really liked was the wide variety of fresh fruit and yummy pastries. The food for lunch and dinner was good, but not spectacular.
I had a massage, it was very good, but pricey. They have water sports area in the beach, the staff was very nice. The beach is beautiful, enjoyed relaxing by the beach. Out of the 2 pools, I preferred the pool by the beach bar, it had a nicer view.
Great hotel for couples and families.

Room Tip: Some rooms are far from main building, and you have to walk a lot. In my case, I did not mind the wa...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear Mari R,
Thank you so much for posting your review and taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay at La Samanna. It makes me very happy to read that you were pleased with your room (great description thanks!), the staff and our services. I will make sure to share your review with the staff. We surely hope you decide to visit us again.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed at la Samanna this week from Wednesday to Thursday. The views are unbeatable. My room was one bedroom ocean front. Very well appointed comfortable room. The restaurant was good for breakfast, nice spread of the usual stuff, eggs, bacon sausages, fruit, cereal, bagels toast yogurt etc. it was not the greatest breakfast buffet but superior to many I have experienced. The staff was really lovely, very attentive, helpful and friendly. The bar in the main lobby was okay, the day staff were not the best with cocktails but the guys at night we good. The pool bar was very cool and the bar manager Romel was probably the most outstanding staff member I came across, really professional, exceptional in how he handled the customers. Nice selection of wine, spirits at both bars. The food was good at the beach bar, one mistake though we had the most amazing grilled sea bass one day for lunch and they insisted it was wahoo. Not sure how that happened but it was lovely so I didn't complain. The two pools on property are nice, but the one at the beach bar is the better of the two. I did a treatment at the spa, I had a mani pedi and a Swedish massage. The mani pedi wasn't great, was over in 20 minutes and I am used to me thorough relaxing pedicures. Would not recommend theirs. The massage however was very very good. They are pricey though but they typical guests at this hotel are not going to be watching their pennies. It was overall a great stay and I would recommend if you wanted a treat. It is good for families with young kids but I think teens and Tweens would be bored at this property. It is somewhat remote and away from the more exciting parts of st martin.
One comment additionally , if you have a room by the pool bar and you sleep with windows open, they set the tables at 530 am and this woke me up. They need to do something about that.

Room Tip: Bit of a long walk to the rooms on the far end of the property.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Dear marita_la,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review La Samanna on Tripadvisor, I really appreciate all comments as it allows us to evaluate any areas that are not up to our guests standards. I am delighted that you enjoyed our property, rooms as well as finding all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I will make sure recognition is given to those names mentioned as our staff always love positive feedback. I am so sorry to hear that one of your treatments at the spa was not up to standard and if returning to La Samanna in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that we can ensure you can experience that service again in a proper manner. La Samanna is in a very private and peaceful area of the island, we are lucky to be only a ten to fifteen minute drive to both Marigot and Maho where there is lots of restaurants, nightlife and activities. I do hope you chose to come and visit our little piece of paradise again, and thank you again for giving us such great feedback!

Reviewed 14 March 2013

La Samanna is probably the finest Hotel on the island. The suites are well appointed and the Villa we just stayed in for a week was even better. Our personal concierge, Andrea went out of his way to ensure our comfort, ease of travel and dinner reservations on the island. The jet ski tour-guided excursion was a blast and our guide definitely showed us a great time. The beach is nice, but has some strong currents (at least in the month of March).

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are the best. The villas have unbelievable views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I can not seem to find Interlude as a separate restaurant, so I will review here! 2nd time to La Samanna for dinner and it was perfect. Delicious food and a super special birthday dessert! After dinner we went to the bar for a cocktail and the pastry chef brought me yet another birthday dessert! You can not find better service anywhere. If you need a car service to take you here, call Rolandos VIP Services. 1 721 580 9212. He drove us everywhere the week we visited and he was prompt and super funny!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2013

Dear Jennifer B,

I am very happy to hear that you enjoy to come to La Samanna to enjoy an excellent evening out especially to celebrate such a special event. We do hope that you come again in the future and are able to enjoy our wonderful service once again!

Reviewed 10 March 2013

we stayed already in Saint Martin,but for the first time at La Samanna...Wonderful view, great atmosphere, excellent food..
everything nice... we had dinner at interlude restaurant, the food was perfect, nice staff, in particular we want tank Antonio, our favorite waiter, very professional.....the best....
We hope to come back next year......thanks a lot

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mary M,

I are so happy to hear that you chose to stay with us here at La Samanna for your last trip to St. Martin. I am delighted to hear you had such a great stay and that you enjoyed our food, atmosphere and service. I will ensure we let Antonio know that he has been acknowledged for doing such a great job. I hope to see you again in the future for another great stay at La Samanna!

Reviewed 9 March 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 5 day getaway at La Samana. The grounds are quite pretty and well maintained. Isabella at the front desk was lovely and efficient and checked us in quickly. The beauty of this resort is the spectacular ocean view (get a room with a view) and the large gorgeous beach - very special!
Things start to fall apart when you dine at the beach bar. We had a very unhappy looking waitress who took our order, made some small mistakes (forgot to bring salad dressing, salt and pepper, second drink orders), but nothing major. By the end of the meal she was all smiles and really wanted to make sure we were pleased with her "its my job to keep you happy". a little odd, but appreciate the effort- whatever....
Waitresses in the dining room always greeted us with smiles and were very pleasant and attentive. The food at main restaurant was good- spotty at the beach- $120 for an "okay" meal for 2 and a beer.
The beach attendants were good enuf - not terribly friendly like other resorts of this caliber, but kept our drinks coming. We had a terrible incident with the beach supervisor when we asked him if he would tell the couple next to us to turn down their music or kindly use headphones. He refused to ask them, said he didnt want them to complain about him and that their music wasnt that loud anyway. He offered to move us but we had been there for 2 hours so again, we suggested he kindly ask them to use headphones or ask them to move. He reminded us that all the beaches on the island were public and they had a right to do whatever they wanted to do - NO JOKE!!! It was crazy and ridiculous! Funny now, but we never really got that bad taste out of our mouths - Not what you expect at a 5 star resort. BTW they did wind up asking them to turn it down and it was NO big deal and the couple couldnt have been nicer and more apologetic!
Romal (sp) at the beach bar was charming, handsome and wonderful! Wish he was in charge of training the entire beach staff!
La Samana is a great easy getaway from NYC area and the island has so much to offer. We will certainly consider returning next year with the hopes that they can get their act to 5 star quality - if not We'll be looking for other recommendations.

Room Tip: 2nd floor ocean front with roof top!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deedeelee148

Dear Deedeelee148,

Thank you for all your feedback that you have posted, we truly value all types of feedback whether negative or positive, as it allows us to take corrective measures to ensure that all of our guests are receiving 5 star service everywhere within our resort. I am very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your experiences at our Beach Bar and I would like to apologize for the incident that occurred on the beach. Our beach boys do the best possible to keep every guest happy and I am very sorry to hear that you were upset with they approach in handling the situation. I do hope you will return to La Samanna next year and please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can ensure you are treated as our most valued clientele.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I arrived at La Samanna for a three day business trip. Upon arrival, I realized I was in need of a black belt. None was available on premises. I asked Katlyn of guest relations if should could be of assistance. A few hours later a black belt was delivered to my room. It's nice to k ow good old fashioned service can still be found at La Samanna. Thanks Katlyn.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Marc J,

I would like to thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at La Samanna. We love receiving feedback that show's that all the staff here at La Samanna are always willing to go above and beyond for all our customers. We truly hope to see you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!