“Lovely La Samana”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Dallas, Texas
“Lovely La Samana”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

La Samana in St Martin is just lovely! Upon arriving on the property one knows you have arrived to a beautiful Caribbean property. The resort itself is very reflective of the Caribbean Islands and sets on an outstanding stretch of the Caribbean beach. We had a 2 bedroom suite - beach front- which was very nice but in need of some renovations. The restaurant and resort both had outstanding service and the restaurant has a very creative, delicious Chef. But once again the main areas of the resort are in need of some renovation. We did move to one of La Samana's Private Villas half way through our week - and - WOW!!!! The Villas are fairly new and the latest decor, design and ammenities that any Caribbean Island has to offer. La Samana you are lovely but renovated your hotel to the level of your Villas!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear FF4ever,

Thank you very much for your kind review of La Samanna. We are quite fortunate to have this breathtaking location that marvels our guests. I am happy to read that you experienced outstanding service in both the resort and the restaurant - that is certainly what we aim for. Our new Chef has certainly brought creative and delectable treats to our restaurant and it please me to hear you enjoyed the food. Every year we try to renovate one area of the hotel while still keeping true to the Caribbean flavor that La Samanna has and that many of our return guests miss. I am glad that you were able to spend time in our Villas, they are indeed a spectacular addition to the resort. Thank you again for your review, we hope you come back either to the Villas or the resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

i have to say that i love la samanna but we were a touch disappointed in our recent visit. we were in a renovated room with a very large terrace. other than 2 outdoor lounge chairs we had a dinning table with chairs that were too low for it. we asked when we arrived for suitable furniture as we like to have breakfast outside but no one ever corrected the problem. instead we had to bring out a desk chair and double up pillows to sit and eat al fresco. you would think that the staff would have noticed this and taken care of it but no one did even when asked. we also arrived to find our rooms were wrong. this vacation was booked 6 months previous and was confirmed on many occasions. la samanna tried their best to accommodate us and we ended up being happy with our rooms but we waited hours to get into them. we sat at the bar and had lunch but we were never even offered a drink. because we were traveling with young children twice they ordered room service for dinner. twice it took over two hours for dinner to come. both times they called for someone to pick up dinner dishes and no one ever came so the dirty dishes and food remained till the room was cleaned the next day. the new rooms and bathrooms are wonderful...for the most part the staff was friendly. the beach servers were terrific. i did find a few of the wait staff unfriendly and not too helpful. in talking with other guests they mentioned the same situation with the same people. la samanna is a special place on an island that is not so special. the crime rate is climbing and that makes it a bit frightening so having a retreat like la samanna where everything is on site is very special. we will definitely come back. that said i think the hotel needs to address the furnishings of the terraces outside of the guest rooms and ridding themselves of staff that are not happy to be apart of such a great hotel. another irritating situation was that i asked from day one for decaf coffee pods for the coffee maker. they delivered a few the first day but never refilled the tray from then on. all of these items are little things that are so easy to correct and that won't frustrate the guest but until they are taken care of the hotel is not a 5 star.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear tilde m,
I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. I regret to hear about the the lack of follow up from my staff in regards to the outdoor furniture and the coffee pods. You are right, the staff should have noticed and taken action. The confusion upon your check in and our failure to offer you a welcome drink it is not the way we like to greet our guests and I sincerely apologize for theses incidents and the inconvenience. I will make sure to share your comment regarding the staff with them, our guest's impressions are very important to us and it is what helps us resolve some of our issues. I agree with you entirely, La Samanna is a very special hotel, some of our staff has been with the hotel for well over 20 years and are very happy and proud to say that, unfortunately, some staff may not see the value in that. I am happy to hear that despite some of the misgivings you will be back. Please do make sure to let us know when you will be visiting so we can ensure a 5 star service.
San Juan, PR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

La Samanna is a resort with a beautiful beach. I stayed in a Terrace suite, everything in the room was perfect: beautifully decorated, big bathroom with shower and bathtub, lots of wardrobe space, comfortable bed , living area , small kitchenette with pod coffeemaker, roof solarium and balcony with amazing views. Everyone was very friendly, great service. Loved the breakfast, good variety, but what I really liked was the wide variety of fresh fruit and yummy pastries. The food for lunch and dinner was good, but not spectacular.
I had a massage, it was very good, but pricey. They have water sports area in the beach, the staff was very nice. The beach is beautiful, enjoyed relaxing by the beach. Out of the 2 pools, I preferred the pool by the beach bar, it had a nicer view.
Great hotel for couples and families.

Room Tip: Some rooms are far from main building, and you have to walk a lot. In my case, I did not mind the wa...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mari R,
Thank you so much for posting your review and taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay at La Samanna. It makes me very happy to read that you were pleased with your room (great description thanks!), the staff and our services. I will make sure to share your review with the staff. We surely hope you decide to visit us again.
Antigua WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed at la Samanna this week from Wednesday to Thursday. The views are unbeatable. My room was one bedroom ocean front. Very well appointed comfortable room. The restaurant was good for breakfast, nice spread of the usual stuff, eggs, bacon sausages, fruit, cereal, bagels toast yogurt etc. it was not the greatest breakfast buffet but superior to many I have experienced. The staff was really lovely, very attentive, helpful and friendly. The bar in the main lobby was okay, the day staff were not the best with cocktails but the guys at night we good. The pool bar was very cool and the bar manager Romel was probably the most outstanding staff member I came across, really professional, exceptional in how he handled the customers. Nice selection of wine, spirits at both bars. The food was good at the beach bar, one mistake though we had the most amazing grilled sea bass one day for lunch and they insisted it was wahoo. Not sure how that happened but it was lovely so I didn't complain. The two pools on property are nice, but the one at the beach bar is the better of the two. I did a treatment at the spa, I had a mani pedi and a Swedish massage. The mani pedi wasn't great, was over in 20 minutes and I am used to me thorough relaxing pedicures. Would not recommend theirs. The massage however was very very good. They are pricey though but they typical guests at this hotel are not going to be watching their pennies. It was overall a great stay and I would recommend if you wanted a treat. It is good for families with young kids but I think teens and Tweens would be bored at this property. It is somewhat remote and away from the more exciting parts of st martin.
One comment additionally , if you have a room by the pool bar and you sleep with windows open, they set the tables at 530 am and this woke me up. They need to do something about that.

Room Tip: Bit of a long walk to the rooms on the far end of the property.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear marita_la,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review La Samanna on Tripadvisor, I really appreciate all comments as it allows us to evaluate any areas that are not up to our guests standards. I am delighted that you enjoyed our property, rooms as well as finding all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I will make sure recognition is given to those names mentioned as our staff always love positive feedback. I am so sorry to hear that one of your treatments at the spa was not up to standard and if returning to La Samanna in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that we can ensure you can experience that service again in a proper manner. La Samanna is in a very private and peaceful area of the island, we are lucky to be only a ten to fifteen minute drive to both Marigot and Maho where there is lots of restaurants, nightlife and activities. I do hope you chose to come and visit our little piece of paradise again, and thank you again for giving us such great feedback!
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

La Samanna is probably the finest Hotel on the island. The suites are well appointed and the Villa we just stayed in for a week was even better. Our personal concierge, Andrea went out of his way to ensure our comfort, ease of travel and dinner reservations on the island. The jet ski tour-guided excursion was a blast and our guide definitely showed us a great time. The beach is nice, but has some strong currents (at least in the month of March).

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are the best. The villas have unbelievable views.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

I can not seem to find Interlude as a separate restaurant, so I will review here! 2nd time to La Samanna for dinner and it was perfect. Delicious food and a super special birthday dessert! After dinner we went to the bar for a cocktail and the pastry chef brought me yet another birthday dessert! You can not find better service anywhere. If you need a car service to take you here, call Rolandos VIP Services. 1 721 580 9212. He drove us everywhere the week we visited and he was prompt and super funny!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Jennifer B,

I am very happy to hear that you enjoy to come to La Samanna to enjoy an excellent evening out especially to celebrate such a special event. We do hope that you come again in the future and are able to enjoy our wonderful service once again!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

we stayed already in Saint Martin,but for the first time at La Samanna...Wonderful view, great atmosphere, excellent food..
everything nice... we had dinner at interlude restaurant, the food was perfect, nice staff, in particular we want tank Antonio, our favorite waiter, very professional.....the best....
We hope to come back next year......thanks a lot

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mary M,

I are so happy to hear that you chose to stay with us here at La Samanna for your last trip to St. Martin. I am delighted to hear you had such a great stay and that you enjoyed our food, atmosphere and service. I will ensure we let Antonio know that he has been acknowledged for doing such a great job. I hope to see you again in the future for another great stay at La Samanna!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,225 reviews

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!