“Best Place on Earth!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
ft. lauderdale
“Best Place on Earth!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

I have traveled all over the world but nothing compares to La Samanna!! From the amazing ocean sunset views to the impeccable accommodations to the world class service. You won't find a place better on earth to vacation. I guess that is why we spend at least 7 days every year for the past 12 years at LaSamanna. If you haven't been then you haven't really experienced paradise.

Room Tip: One bedroom ocean view rooms are preferred
1 Thank darrel b
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear Darrel B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor, we are so pleased to hear such great remarks from our regular clientele. We appreciate such great feedback, and when we share it with the team it puts a smile on everyone's faces. Thank you again so much and we are looking forward to welcoming you again next year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Once we were able to locate La Samanna (the hotel sign is oddly hidden behind foliage and an ugly recycling bin on the main road), we found a beautiful, small hotel on a lovely beach and we truly enjoyed our 6 night stay. The positives--there are two pools (one is a very nice infinity pool--although there were a few missing tiles that need to be replaced) and a very large beach area. Even though the hotel was at capacity the week we were there (Easter week), it never felt crowded and there were always available chairs. Isabel at the front desk was wonderful upon check in and we were upgraded to a fabulous one bedroom suite after we expressed our displeasure with our original view--which was of the backside of the beach bar and restaurant. The complimentary rum upon check in was a nice touch as was the large chocolate Easter egg that was left for us the night before check out. The bed in the suite was extremely comfortable (very high thread count) and the suite was clean with charming furnishings. Our view of the ocean and cliff from our suite patio was breathtaking, which for us, made up for any flaws at this resort. One minor complaint regarding the room is that the shower is open and literally in the middle of the bathroom so there is no privacy and whenever we took a shower, water flooded the entire bathroom which resulted in an unnecessary use of all of the towels--we left quite a mess for the turn down housekeeper. I think some of the suites have been renovated to correct this problem.
While I was not expecting Four Seasons level of service--having read prior reviews and aware beforehand that this is a smaller property that still retains its family run charm- everyone who works at the resort seemed helpful.
The negatives--my main complaint with this resort was the food. Coming from NYC I am used to overpriced food. And when you are staying at this resort you are certainly not looking to count your pennies. However, when you are charged $7 for a can of soda at the pool, and $24 for a plate of raw vegetables (I had ordered vegetable tempura but after waiting 45 minutes for the plate, ate the raw veggies without complaint), the feeling of being nickel and dimed is overwhelming. Also there is a $7 per person service charge for room service. Room service takes a very long time so plan ahead. Considering our room was steps from the room service kitchen, it was doubly ridiculous. The coffee pods in the deluxe coffee maker are complimentary upon arrival and then they charge $4 per pod afterwards--we found this out after we called room service for refills. I found the charge for the refill pods extremely tacky given the cost of this resort--although complimentary coffee is provided with some fruit and cookies in the main hotel in the mornings, which made up (somewhat) for that annoyance. We ate at the Trellis our first night and the setting truly is spectacular. The $45 entrees were unimpressive (I had a mixed seafood dish just drowned in melted cheese--ick, my husband had a "just ok" fish dish), as was the service and I could have done without the $11 bottle of sparkling water. The menu options are also limited. At no time were we offered tap water, even though the water is safe to drink on St. Maarten. As a result, I was turned off to the on property food offerings from that the first night, so we wound up eating many of our meals off property, (which also led to some hits and misses). I recommend renting a small car while visiting so you are not limited to the resort restaurants. Despite my issue with the food, I would absolutely return to La Samanna because the gorgeous private setting is why we were there and is what makes this resort special.

Room Tip: The Villas on the cliffs--P, N-- have the best views and they are quiet. The villas on the beach wer...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Nibblerbee,

After reading your review I am very happy to hear that you did enjoy your time with us here at La Samanna and that you are definitely planning on returning to La Samanna, although you mentioned a few deficiencies during your stay. I am delighted to hear that my Front Desk agent's went out of their way to ensure that you were in a room that you enjoyed during your time here with us, as we definitely have a view that deserves to be admired by all our guests. I am happy that you enjoyed our special Easter gift that was delivered into your room. I am however very sorry to read about your dissatisfaction with the food at the resort, we are introducing a new menu very soon that gives more options to all of our guests. We do hope you consider to return again and if so do not hesitate to contact us so we can ensure that you can meet with our Chef upon arrival and we can provide you with high quality, amazing food throughout your stay! Thank you so much again for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed here for our honeymoon in April 2010 (plunge pool suite). This is the best island we have been to, and Iwe have been to a lot. You will thank youself for going here; splurge for a good room. Food is pricey but it's good. Beach is awesome, staff is ok. Hands down the best in st Martin.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Donkey 212,

I am so pleased to hear your great review on our property and very grateful that you chose to spend your honeymoon here with us. I am delighted that St. Martin is your favorite island and that you consider us the best choice here on the island. We are very lucky to have such a beautiful setting on this amazing beach and I am happy you were able to enjoy it to the fullest. Thank you very much for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.
Rome, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week in St Maarten. I spent dozens of hours researching and planning what to do, where to go, where to eat, etc... I ran across a review on Tripadvisor that said one could go to La Samanna for the day, rent chairs and an umbrella, and view the sunset from their bar. We drove to La Samanna (which isn't the easiest place to get to to start with) and was turned back by the security guard.

Now, La Samanna is on Baie Longue and all of the beaches in St Martin are required to be open to the public. So, we drove around to the public entrance and walked down to La Samanna. The walk on the beach is a very difficult half mile. Once we got to the Hotel, I inquired about renting some chairs and an umbrella. I was told they do not generally do this, but perhaps could make an exception (especially since there was literally NO ONE in ANY of their 115 chairs). Oliviere was very gracious in making sure we were comfortable, even bringing out a few fresh fruit skewers for us. We ordered from their beach / bar menu and were treated like one of the paying guests. Thanks Oliviere!

If you are planning to give this a try, I would check with the Hotel first.

2 Thank drdewrag
Dear drdewrag,

Although I am sorry to hear about your experience getting down to our beach, I am happy that once there you were able to enjoy it and were treated just like any of our guests of course. Unfortunately, we do ask that all outside guests contact the hotel prior to trying to spend the day as we do enforce different policies depending on our occupancy and time of the year. During our high seasons when the hotel is full we do enforce the policy that no outside guests are allowed as our priority of course is for the service and security of our own in house guests. Perhaps if you do chose to visit our property again or even stay with us, do not hesitate to contact us prior to arrival. Thank you
Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

La Samana disappointed from beginning to end of our one overnight stay. It started at arrival from St. Barths via ferry where we had been promised a taxi pickup. There was none. When I called the hotel, the person demanded to know who had committed to the transfer - but since I had no access to my emails, I couldn't tell her. She then said - "just get your own taxi" with no apology whatsoever. Upon arrival, we were brought to our room and found food from the previous guests left on the dresser. They quickly cleared it away and we went to the beach. But, when I returned to my room, I couldn't get in. I trekked up to the office (a very long walk) for new keys, trekked back - still wouldn't open. I called the office from the beach bar, then waited back at the room. It took 1-1/2 hours to get access to the room and I was asked to wait there (the maintenance man was very apologetic). By the time we got back down to the beach to sail the Hobie Cat it was 4:15 and were told "too late - we close at 4:30!" Famished, I went back to the beach bar to get a bite, only to be told they stop serving food at 4 p.m.! So, we checked the internet site and decided on the "casual" restaurant but when we went there we were told there was only one restaurant - Trellis - no others. We had no information whatsoever about the resort in our room or provided to us. No map, no list of activities, when facilities open or close - nothing. The next morning I was surprised to see a yoga class pool-side - how do those people know about such an activity? I would have wanted to join in. I ordered room service for breakfast (from quite a rude person) and of course the order arrived wrong - one too many continental breakfasts! The server was the only bright spot - she was very friendly. While she brought the newspaper, again, no resort information. We only stayed one night - which was one too many. After 6 days in St. Barths at the fabulousTom Beach Hotel (see my 5-star review) the La Samana was a major disappointment. Never again.

Room Tip: Our corner room, F-11, had private outside stairs down to pool - a nice feature, but room was very s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank havaneserule
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear havanesrule,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your one night stay at La Samanna. I regret to read that it was a major disappointment. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of communication and information prior to your arrival and during your stay, even if it was a brief one. I have shared your comments with the entire staff as your dissatisfaction affects all of us. I apologize for any mis-communication that was passed on to you, as our Beach Bar's main menu does close at 4.p.m, however they do continue to serve our full room service menu on the beach afterwards. I am also very sorry that you were not able to enjoy the different complimentary activities that we offer to our clients, as we do have Yoga, Tennis and Pilates complimentary once per week. Again, I am terribly sorry that we fell quite short of your expectations. Should you ever decide to visit La Samanna again, please contact me directly so we can ensure your stay can be one that leaves you with better memories.
Colquitt, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Just got home today from a 5 night stay at one of the villas at La Samanna (Sula). We have been to several islands in the Carribean and have stayed at some pretty nice places, BUT, our villa at La Samanna was AMAZING! The villa itself was beautiful with attention paid to every detail. In fact, i can't think of a single complaint. We had our own pool and the views from the resort were breathtaking. The buffet breakfast was great and each person in our group had a spa service while there....no complaints there, either. Best of all, the staff at La Samanna were there to answer any question or need we had. Props especially to William Burpitt, the Villa Operations Manager. From arranging transportation to making dinner reservations, he went above and beyond to make our first (of hopefully, many more) stay at La Samanna an experience we will never forget!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenngarland
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

La Samana in St Martin is just lovely! Upon arriving on the property one knows you have arrived to a beautiful Caribbean property. The resort itself is very reflective of the Caribbean Islands and sets on an outstanding stretch of the Caribbean beach. We had a 2 bedroom suite - beach front- which was very nice but in need of some renovations. The restaurant and resort both had outstanding service and the restaurant has a very creative, delicious Chef. But once again the main areas of the resort are in need of some renovation. We did move to one of La Samana's Private Villas half way through our week - and - WOW!!!! The Villas are fairly new and the latest decor, design and ammenities that any Caribbean Island has to offer. La Samana you are lovely but renovated your hotel to the level of your Villas!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear FF4ever,

Thank you very much for your kind review of La Samanna. We are quite fortunate to have this breathtaking location that marvels our guests. I am happy to read that you experienced outstanding service in both the resort and the restaurant - that is certainly what we aim for. Our new Chef has certainly brought creative and delectable treats to our restaurant and it please me to hear you enjoyed the food. Every year we try to renovate one area of the hotel while still keeping true to the Caribbean flavor that La Samanna has and that many of our return guests miss. I am glad that you were able to spend time in our Villas, they are indeed a spectacular addition to the resort. Thank you again for your review, we hope you come back either to the Villas or the resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,151 reviews

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!