“Great time!!!”
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Aside of the beauty of Saint Martin´s sea color, the hotel is a plus to the trip...good location , good view, good service.....Very close to the night life as pubs and restaurants.
shopping is another good experience out there because no tax added....

Room Tip: Always at the water side because the beauty!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear MarinaBellotti,
Many thanks for your review. I am so happy to read that you found that our food, location and service all lived up to your expectations. We hope to see you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed in a Suite with the plunge pool and it was absolutely a wonderful experience. The view from the room was breath taking and the privacy factor of having our own patio area was totally worth it. The food at the hotel was excellent as well. The people were very friendly. Overall I would go back and stay there again in a second. Also, there were not a lot of people staying there as it is a relatively small hotel...80 rooms. Although we were there during their off season, we were assured that the beach is never too crowded and very private.

Room Tip: Ask for the plunge pool Suite.
1  Thank Jacqueline K

Dear Jacqueline K,
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience with us and like you said, we hope you come back soon, rest assure it is never too crowded.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My family and I stayed here in June for a week in a 3-bedroom cottage. We had a 23-month old, three 30-somethings and my parents. This was undoubtedly the nicest place we’ve ever stayed. I’ve seen some negative reviews but honestly, I think those people to need to get over themselves. Island time is notoriously or wonderfully (depending on your outlook) slower and reminds us to just take a breath and relax. Even with a 23-month old, I was never sitting around thinking things took FOREVER.

When we checked in, the reception is just breathtaking. We stood at the top of the resort admiring the view. Heaven was the first thought that came to mind. The beautiful bay below us was a stomping grounds for many boats and catamarans. I went snorkeling but never saw many fish so not sure if I just didn’t go out far enough. But the area was always happening with fun things to see underwater.

Speaking of the water sports, this was a true delight. We took advantage of paddle boarding for the first time, kayaking a few times, snorkeling and the trampoline. My sister lost a rented Go-Pro camera and after realizing she could not dive down the 20 feet or so to get it (once she actually found it) the staff were EXTREMELY generous to go out on their jet ski and dive down to retrieve the camera. This was just one level of their gracious customer service.

Our room was in building D and I think this was the best. We had the entire cottage to ourselves which consisted of a beautiful two-bedroom suite and kitchenette, MULTIPLE outdoor verandahs and then another suite upstairs for my parents with two porches! We were steps away from the pool and beachfront. We didn’t spend any time in the ocean below our suite due to some pretty rough waters. This was no fault of the resort. But with a 2 year old, I chose the pool for its calmer water.

I realized this was not the type of place most people take small children but as I’m sure many parents know, it’s hard to find someone to keep your kid for a week! But the resort and the guests were very accommodating. We had a high chair every day at breakfast and my son was allowed in the nice dining room at night (we only ate their once)..perhaps because it was the low season. Even if he was squealing in delight at the pool, I was never frowned upon. In fact, many people came over to ask about our son. We never went to the pool by the main resort but only stayed at the infinity pool. To me this was much better anyway because the views were so great. The pool was a true community feel.

Our accommodations of course were so beautiful. The beds were comfortable, the suite was spacious. We had a few technical problems and the staff was able to come and immediately remedy the problem (faulty/leaking AC and European DVD player that we could not get to play our American DVDs. Obviously a user-error).

We ate breakfast every morning and it was quite delicious. There was something for everyone. It might have been nice to have mixed it up although the selection was quite expansive that I could get all my favorites each day or try new things. I recommend the juices! Also, the drinks at the beach bar are STRONG but in a fun positive way. We had one per day overlooking the pool and it was plenty. Didn’t want to be escorted away for being a drunk mom!

I highly recommend La Samanna for those who are seeking an exceptional getaway. As a family they were very accommodating. There aren’t “kid-friendly” activities but as a family trip, we made it work. My son can be okay virtually anywhere. The cats on the property were entertainment in and of themselves. So we made it work. If you want non-stop excitement and loud groups, don’t go here. But if you want a wonderful place to relax, enough people to people watch and have good conversation but not feel crowded, LA Samanna is the best! I saw one of the villas as well as one of the standard rooms. All are just perfect!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bacon77

Dear Bacon 77,

It was a pleasure reading your review, thank you very much for taking the time to write it. It sounds as though the resort was able to accommodate the type of relaxing family vacation you were looking for. I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of the different facilities we have to offer, from the two pools, the Watersports and the restaurants We surely hope that La Samanna becomes the "place" for your future family getaways.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Had the pleasure of organizing our annual general meeting at La Samanna. The unanimous review of the entire group was a 10/10. The staff were professional and friendly and efficient. The guests that stayed in the Villas stated that it was the best accommodations they had ever stayed in. The closing party will long be remembered in our companies top 5 greatest ever!

Thanks to the whole team there. We will all be dreaming of your amazing location for a long time.

Room Tip: Stay at the Villas... AMAZING sunsets and sunrises!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear kitesurf 1,
I am so happy to hear that your annual meeting here at La Samanna was a success. The resort is a great place not only for families but also for business groups. I am thrilled to read that your team gave mine 10/10! La Samanna will now have to be the place you all come back to relive a great meeting and even better closing party.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

My husband and I spent one night in LaSamana (21 July) and an additional seven nights in a villa. I can honestly state this was the best experience we have had in a hotel. The front desk staff was attentive and professional. I have to mention Isabel, who gave us our orientation to the facility and our room. She appeared to anticipate our every need and desire. She demonstrated the kind of customer service that should be emulated. As the kids say, " she is the bomb". We are sure to return because of her. Reggie was the gentleman who drove the facility cart and he could not have been more friendly and attentive. I don't remember the lady bartender that waited on us Sunday night, but she made great drinks and deserves serious accolades. All of the staff were excellent, I just don't know all the names. Can't forget the breakfast buffet, " magnifique". 7 other family members traveled with us, but stayed in a different hotel. After visiting us at LaSamana, they are now determined to stay there the next time we visit St. Martin. Great experience!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are our preference.

Dear Linda M,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. Our diligent staff is one of the reasons why guests keep coming back, I am so very happy that you saw that during your stay. I hope you and your family return soon, we will be waiting for your either at the villas or at the hotel .

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our flight home was cancelled so we booked the best hotel closest to the airport. Boy were we surprised! We expected some nice, but never imagined such a lovely and peaceful please. Staff is attentive, the rooms seem recently updated and the restaurants simply superb. Well done! We shall return!

Room Tip: Ask for the beach view rooms.

Dear DrABC,

Normally after ones' flight is cancelled one is usually not in the best spirits, but I am so glad that you were able to forget all that with one night with us. I am so happy that you were surprised by the resort and the staff. We certainly hope you will be back for a longer stay.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We recently completed a 12 night stay at this wonderful hotel. We met with the General Manager during our stay and no-one was sure whether this was our 9th or 10th stay. While the hotel does have some minor flaws, the overall experience is wonderful. I have read some comments about surly and unresponsive employees and this baffles me. Almost all of the staff have been there for years and are gracious and professional. There have been some changes recently and the saddest one is that breakfast is by the pool and not on the signature balcony. The pool is nice but the balcony was exceptional. The bar area in the main building has been enhanced and now is a perfect place to sit and enjoy the sunset. Lunch was not avilable at the grill by the pool but was available at poolside with limited choices. The Beach bar and grill are an alternative. The newly decorated rooms are light and cheery. We were fortunate to have a suite in the main building overlooking the sea. From our point of view this is 10 stays and counting. This hotel is just a wonderful, relaxing and gracious experience. There really is nowhere else you should stay on the island.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear RobertMD 152,

It is our repeat guests like yourselves that have made La Samanna a wonderful place for 40 years and I am so pleased that you still find it so. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff, I will be sure to share your comments with them. It is true that the recent renovations have moved things around a bit, nonetheless we feel that the new look and location of the Baie Longue Bar allows our guests to enjoy the exceptional sunsets. We can not wait to welcome you back for your 11th, 12th or even 20th stay with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Azure Hotel & Art Studio
Azure Hotel & Art Studio
#1 of 7 in Simpson Bay
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!