“Classic Island Elegance”
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Reviewed 10 August 2013

For the last 9 years we have enjoyed vacationing on Anguilla and have stayed at Mallihouanna (which is closed but was our favorite) The Viceroy and Cap Jaluca. This year we decided to stay on St Martin and chose La Samanna. What a beautiful resort... situated high on a bluff with a gorgeous view of the entire beach. We had a 2 bedroom suite #L 10 which was close the main building and right on the beach. This was probably the most relaxing stay I can remember. The staff was attentive and yet discreet ... most notable were Mark (the beach manager) and Isabella at the front desk. If you are desiring a beautiful beach resort in an elegant and private setting this is the place....sadly we will miss Anguilla however we have found our new destination for years to come.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Sunpyrat,
I am thrilled to know that we have a new repeat family joining what is already an extensive group! It makes me so happy to hear that your stay with us was a wonderful vacation. I will make sure to share your comments with both Isabel and Mark. Thank you for sharing your impressions of La Samanna and will be very happy to say to you and your family - Welcome Back, for many year to come.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Beautiful, well kept resort! The beach and pools were amazing. We stayed in one of the beach cottages and it was well worth the cost. It was spacious and decorated beautifully. The restaurant was excellent as was the view. The bar staff was the only thing mediocre, they were unfriendly and slow. The pool was rarely cleaned up from the day before until after 11am. I found the French side of the island much more relaxing and cleaner than the Dutch side. The restaurants were very good on the French side. Travelers need to be aware the taxis are very expensive.

Room Tip: The cottages were perfect for6 people.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicolette M

Dear Nicolette M,
Thank you very much for taking time to post your review of your recent stay with us. While I am thrilled that you found the resort, pools and beach amazing, I do regret your experience with the bar staff and the upkeep of the grounds. Rest assured that your comments will be taken into account and we will make sure that for your future stay those areas are rectified. I hope to see you back for your next summer vacation.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband and I have stayed at 5 star hotels around the world, but La Samanna provided the best overall experience we've had anywhere. We stayed in an ocean front suite, second floor, with a stunning view of the green ocean water, the infinity pool and the beautiful bay. The suite was lovely and spotlessly clean, the food was delicious and the service was exceptional. All I can say is Kudos to the management for creating such a lovely environment. From the moment we were greeted outside the lobby, we were met with warmth and an eagerness to please. Everyone, from the front desk, to the housekeepers, to the gardeners were always smiling and helpful. One day we had a temporary glitch with the internet service in our room. Later that day, a hotel staff member surprised us with a gift of a fruit and cheese platter and a lovely red wine as an apology for the inconvenience. The glitch happened briefly one other day and the manager generously and without any prodding or complaints from us, treated us to an amazing four course dinner at their signature restaurant overlooking the bay. If you want a truly memorable and lovely experience, I recommend La Samanna unequivocally.
S. Weinberger

Room Tip: try for an ocean view suite. We loved the 2nd floor with the balcony for stunning views and privacy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan W
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Susan W.
I am so pleased to read that your vacation at La Samanna was perfect. It was a pleasure for me and the rest of the staff to have you and your husband spend some days with us. Thank you for such a lovely review of the resort and your stay. We hope you return.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Aside of the beauty of Saint Martin´s sea color, the hotel is a plus to the trip...good location , good view, good service.....Very close to the night life as pubs and restaurants.
shopping is another good experience out there because no tax added....

Room Tip: Always at the water side because the beauty!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear MarinaBellotti,
Many thanks for your review. I am so happy to read that you found that our food, location and service all lived up to your expectations. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed in a Suite with the plunge pool and it was absolutely a wonderful experience. The view from the room was breath taking and the privacy factor of having our own patio area was totally worth it. The food at the hotel was excellent as well. The people were very friendly. Overall I would go back and stay there again in a second. Also, there were not a lot of people staying there as it is a relatively small hotel...80 rooms. Although we were there during their off season, we were assured that the beach is never too crowded and very private.

Room Tip: Ask for the plunge pool Suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline K

Dear Jacqueline K,
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience with us and like you said, we hope you come back soon, rest assure it is never too crowded.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My family and I stayed here in June for a week in a 3-bedroom cottage. We had a 23-month old, three 30-somethings and my parents. This was undoubtedly the nicest place we’ve ever stayed. I’ve seen some negative reviews but honestly, I think those people to need to get over themselves. Island time is notoriously or wonderfully (depending on your outlook) slower and reminds us to just take a breath and relax. Even with a 23-month old, I was never sitting around thinking things took FOREVER.

When we checked in, the reception is just breathtaking. We stood at the top of the resort admiring the view. Heaven was the first thought that came to mind. The beautiful bay below us was a stomping grounds for many boats and catamarans. I went snorkeling but never saw many fish so not sure if I just didn’t go out far enough. But the area was always happening with fun things to see underwater.

Speaking of the water sports, this was a true delight. We took advantage of paddle boarding for the first time, kayaking a few times, snorkeling and the trampoline. My sister lost a rented Go-Pro camera and after realizing she could not dive down the 20 feet or so to get it (once she actually found it) the staff were EXTREMELY generous to go out on their jet ski and dive down to retrieve the camera. This was just one level of their gracious customer service.

Our room was in building D and I think this was the best. We had the entire cottage to ourselves which consisted of a beautiful two-bedroom suite and kitchenette, MULTIPLE outdoor verandahs and then another suite upstairs for my parents with two porches! We were steps away from the pool and beachfront. We didn’t spend any time in the ocean below our suite due to some pretty rough waters. This was no fault of the resort. But with a 2 year old, I chose the pool for its calmer water.

I realized this was not the type of place most people take small children but as I’m sure many parents know, it’s hard to find someone to keep your kid for a week! But the resort and the guests were very accommodating. We had a high chair every day at breakfast and my son was allowed in the nice dining room at night (we only ate their once)..perhaps because it was the low season. Even if he was squealing in delight at the pool, I was never frowned upon. In fact, many people came over to ask about our son. We never went to the pool by the main resort but only stayed at the infinity pool. To me this was much better anyway because the views were so great. The pool was a true community feel.

Our accommodations of course were so beautiful. The beds were comfortable, the suite was spacious. We had a few technical problems and the staff was able to come and immediately remedy the problem (faulty/leaking AC and European DVD player that we could not get to play our American DVDs. Obviously a user-error).

We ate breakfast every morning and it was quite delicious. There was something for everyone. It might have been nice to have mixed it up although the selection was quite expansive that I could get all my favorites each day or try new things. I recommend the juices! Also, the drinks at the beach bar are STRONG but in a fun positive way. We had one per day overlooking the pool and it was plenty. Didn’t want to be escorted away for being a drunk mom!

I highly recommend La Samanna for those who are seeking an exceptional getaway. As a family they were very accommodating. There aren’t “kid-friendly” activities but as a family trip, we made it work. My son can be okay virtually anywhere. The cats on the property were entertainment in and of themselves. So we made it work. If you want non-stop excitement and loud groups, don’t go here. But if you want a wonderful place to relax, enough people to people watch and have good conversation but not feel crowded, LA Samanna is the best! I saw one of the villas as well as one of the standard rooms. All are just perfect!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bacon77

Dear Bacon 77,

It was a pleasure reading your review, thank you very much for taking the time to write it. It sounds as though the resort was able to accommodate the type of relaxing family vacation you were looking for. I am thrilled that you were able to take advantage of the different facilities we have to offer, from the two pools, the Watersports and the restaurants We surely hope that La Samanna becomes the "place" for your future family getaways.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Had the pleasure of organizing our annual general meeting at La Samanna. The unanimous review of the entire group was a 10/10. The staff were professional and friendly and efficient. The guests that stayed in the Villas stated that it was the best accommodations they had ever stayed in. The closing party will long be remembered in our companies top 5 greatest ever!

Thanks to the whole team there. We will all be dreaming of your amazing location for a long time.

Room Tip: Stay at the Villas... AMAZING sunsets and sunrises!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear kitesurf 1,
I am so happy to hear that your annual meeting here at La Samanna was a success. The resort is a great place not only for families but also for business groups. I am thrilled to read that your team gave mine 10/10! La Samanna will now have to be the place you all come back to relive a great meeting and even better closing party.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Azure Hotel & Art Studio
#1 of 7 in Simpson Bay
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Mary's Boon Beach Hotel and Spa

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!