“Awful ending to our honeymoon bliss”
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Chicago, Illinois
“Awful ending to our honeymoon bliss”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My husband and I were so excited to visit the French and British West Indies, but unfortunately, we ended our honeymoon bliss at La Samanna. We were so excited to stay here based on the other reviews on TripAdvisor, but these people all must be CRAZY! The only thing "luxury" about this place was the outrageous prices and the pretentious staff.

Where to begin. Before our arrival, I had reached out to the hotel to inform them that it was our honeymoon and that we would be arriving early from our Anguilla transfer and would need transportation. They quoted me $98 for a taxi from the airport (which is only 8km away) and our hotel in Anguilla advised us to just pick one up at the airport instead, as it was only $20, which is what we did. Upon arrival, our room wasn't ready and they had us down as our stay was for my birthday, not our honeymoon. We had to wait in the bar for 3 hours as they were "changing a lightbulb" and finally were taken up to the room at 4:15pm. When taken to the room, we were expecting luxury. What we got was anything but. Everything was old and outdated and GROSS! Mold spots in the bathroom, a roach in our sink, and sinks that filled up with disgusting water and wouldn't drain (pictures attached). There are 2 shower heads but you could only use one of them at a time or the water was freezing cold or scolding hot.

As there was a tourist couple who had just been stabbed and their teeth punched out just days before our arrival, we decided that as we weren't familiar with St. Maarten, we would stick close to the hotel. We were going to just do a casual dinner, as we had been traveling and waiting all day long, and decided to eat at Interlude. IT DOESN'T EXIST! We came down for dinner to be told that the only restaurant that was open was Trellis, and we were not dressed appropriately. Back up the 5 flights of stairs to our room (no elevators) we went and got ready for dinner. We come back down dressed up and starving and as we approach the hostess, they were very rude as we didn't have a reservation. Although there were at least 7-8 tables open. We waited 15 minutes or so and none of the tables filled up, so they went ahead and sat us, but wouldn't give us an ocean view as we didn't have a reservation. Those oceanside open tables never were filled during our entire dinner. The food tasted fine, but at a drink each with an appetizer and dessert was well over $200.

Few other gripes
-Lunch - for a couple of hamburgers and beers - $70-90
-Breakfast - no a la carte options, only $35/pp which was the WORST food that I have ever eaten! Room temperature sausage, bacon and dry rubbery potatoes. No one even asked us if our food was ok, they just dropped the bill while we were grabbing food.
-Water - They only give you one bottle when you check in. Each additional bottle is $11 to have them bring it to your room
-Room service- Be aware that there is a $7.50 delivery charge per person for food ordered into the room. This is not gratuity, but just a delivery charge.
-Beach - Although very beautiful, the beach is also very rocky and steep sand cliffs to get in and out of the water.
-Hotel location - There is nothing really within walking distance, so you will need a car or taxi for anywhere you go.
-Checking out - We were asked if we enjoyed our stay, and our reply was "Um, it was just okay" to which the hotel responded, "Oh, I am so glad that you enjoyed it" and then handed us a packet to ask us to review the hotel on TripAdvisor. So, here it is!

Tips
-If you can, book somewhere else. We had much more luxury experience in St. Barth's and Anguilla and the prices were more reasonable (We stayed at Hotel Christopher and the Viceroy Anguilla and highly recommend them!) You will save the money you would spend on the transfer in just one day.
-Get a bucket of 6 beers on the beach for $36 as opposed to paying $9 each at any of the other bars. Also, a bottle of water is free on the beach
-Hang at the beach and beach bar/pool as the staff is very nice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank chigirl83
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Chigirl83,
Thank you much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit to La Samanna. We realize that a honeymoon celebration cannot be reenacted, and your visit to our beautiful part of the world should have been idyllic in every way.
In reading your commentary, I personally apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
I have read with great disappointment your review on TripAdvisor, and on many levels, I regret that we let you and your husband down. From the condition of your accommodations, to the service experience at our restaurant, to the communication regarding your transportation options we apologize.
Despite the many shortcomings you experienced, I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time at our pool and Beach Bar and found the service, setting and value to be commensurate with a luxury resort.
I would certainly welcome the opportunity discuss your visit further and attempt to regain your trust and confidence in La Samanna.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We just returned from another trip to La Samanna. The resort is spectacular. The beach is a bit steep but there are two pools on the property. The staff is top notch. Special thanks to Mayliss, Isabel, Jean, and Romel for excellent service. The Romel Masterpiece drink is amazing. We have been coming here for a few years and could not imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Beth571
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Beth 571,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor! I am very happy to read that you had a great time and I share your thought regarding the RUM “Romel Unique Masterpiece” cocktail.
I took note of your special recognition of Maylis, Isabel, Jean and Romel. Your kind comments will most certainly be passed along to them.
The beach is now going back to its normal shape and has flatten down again for the new season.
Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can be of assistance on a future visit to St Martin. I, and the entire team, hope that we shall have an opportunity of welcoming back soon.
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Never have I taken a vacation where the staff were so warm, friendly and caring. The people here really cater to your needs and truly goes above and beyond to allow you to relax thereby enhancing the time spent there. My husband and I went for our one year anniversary and words can not express how very special Monica Monroy made it for us. She literally brought tears to my eyes on a few occasions. Husbands and boyfriends, want to sweep your woman off her feet. Monica at beachfront resort, LaSamana, will make it happen. She is a real gem and provides exemplary customer service.
Tucked away on the French side of the Caribbean, this breathtaking Mediterranean resort has the best white sandy beach. Having gone to Hawaii numerous times, I can honestly state, I would come back to La Samana before going back to Hawaii.
I met a very gracious and loving man Jean Claude who made a dream come true for me. He brought coconuts and cut them in front of me so that I can taste fresh coconut juice. Such a fun unforgettable experience. This man has a spirit about him that is rare to none. I look forward to going back just to converse with him. Hughette, Richard, just to name a few of the very hospitable and kind hearted people. In fact, there is a simplicity about St Martin's people and it is without a doubt refreshing. They seem to follow the adage of treat others how you would like to be treated.
The food is not only visually appealing but tastes delicious. Love the steak tartare.
The ambiance is very romantic and if you are looking to do a little snorkling and go on a waverunner, well its all here.
This will definitely be a tradition for us and we can not wait to not only return for the wonderful weather but to visit the absolutely fabulous people here. Thank you LaSamana team.

4 Thank Michele K
Dear Michele K,
Thank you so much for your e-mail commenting on your recent stay at La Samanna, I am very grateful for your feedback and so glad to read you had a fabulous 1st anniversary celebration.
I truly appreciate and agree with your glowing comments about Monica and Jean-Claude, you can be assured that they will be shared with them. This will truly make their day!
Thank you also for the notes regarding the food and the service in our restaurant, Chef Gil has been working hard to improve the dining experience for our guests since he arrived a year ago and I must admit that our guest’s feedbacks are fabulous and go beyond our expectations.
I am happy to read you caught the real charm and beauty of our extraordinary Island and I remain at your service shall you need any kind of assistance before we welcome you again soon, I hope.
Very best regards,
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My husband and I have traveled to St. Martin 7 times and stayed at La Samanna 6 of those times. It is such a beautiful place and we will return! We love the rooms, we have stayed in the smallest beach front, to the largest suite in the main building and we have loved each one of them. We love to have lunch at the beach bar, the bar staff are so friendly, especially Romel and Jean...the entire staff at the resort are very attentive and we have never been dissappointed. La Samanna is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, the sand is white and the water is so crystal clear! La Samanna is the only place I will ever stay while in St. Martin.

3 Thank Peacheshb
Dear Peacheshb,
It is our repeat guests like yourselves that have made La Samanna a wonderful place for 40 years and I am so pleased that you still find it so. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff, I will be sure to share your comments with them.
I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back soon at La Samanna.
Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Our stay in La Samanna last August 2013 was excellent, and would highly recommend it without any doubt to everybody, families, couples, groups and even on your own. The service, food and accommodation are very good, and being myself a yearly visitor in the Caribbean, I could say thatLa Samanna is amongst the best hotel I have visited.

I am a tennis fan, so I was really spoiled with Joanna, La Samanna's tennis pro, who is available in the hotel for complimentary tennis lessons every Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9 to 10 am. She's a very nice young lady willing to teach and practice tennis lessons with the customers. I was really lucky to be the only one who showed up during our stay in La Samanna, and will definitely enjoyed it very much.

Among the hotel personnel, Leo, the guy helping out on the beach is the most helpful and nicest one. He really knows his job and deserves a good tip.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Roxana C
Dear Roxana C,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. Our diligent staff is one of the reasons why guests keep coming back, and our Chef Gil is delighting our pallets with his fine cuisine.
I wanted to thank you as well for your comments about Leo and Joanna, I will be sharing it with them as I am sure they will be very happy to hear they made your day.
I hope you and your family will return soon.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The hotel is beautiful and can be rated as one of the top hotels in the world. The grounds are magnificent and the bungalows breathtaking. They are updated with all the comfortable features of home. The beaches, service, breakfasts and beaches are a rare finding all grouped to one property. I highly recommend staying there on your next vacation.

Room Tip: Ocean front villas can't be beat !
2 Thank Howard C
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Paradies! We have been returning to La Samanna for the past several years and consider it a little bit of Paradise on Earth. Stepping onto the resort transcends you into another universe. The rooms are spectacular and the views breathtaking. The beach is private and sand like cushions under your feet. Why try someplace else when you have perfection here. If you want to experience a little bit of Paradise and want to be pampered and enjoy yourselves, La Samanna is the place to go!

Room Tip: •"Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!