My husband and I were so excited to visit the French and British West Indies, but unfortunately, we ended our honeymoon bliss at La Samanna. We were so excited to stay here based on the other reviews on TripAdvisor, but these people all must be CRAZY! The only thing "luxury" about this place was the outrageous prices and the pretentious staff.
Where to begin. Before our arrival, I had reached out to the hotel to inform them that it was our honeymoon and that we would be arriving early from our Anguilla transfer and would need transportation. They quoted me $98 for a taxi from the airport (which is only 8km away) and our hotel in Anguilla advised us to just pick one up at the airport instead, as it was only $20, which is what we did. Upon arrival, our room wasn't ready and they had us down as our stay was for my birthday, not our honeymoon. We had to wait in the bar for 3 hours as they were "changing a lightbulb" and finally were taken up to the room at 4:15pm. When taken to the room, we were expecting luxury. What we got was anything but. Everything was old and outdated and GROSS! Mold spots in the bathroom, a roach in our sink, and sinks that filled up with disgusting water and wouldn't drain (pictures attached). There are 2 shower heads but you could only use one of them at a time or the water was freezing cold or scolding hot.
As there was a tourist couple who had just been stabbed and their teeth punched out just days before our arrival, we decided that as we weren't familiar with St. Maarten, we would stick close to the hotel. We were going to just do a casual dinner, as we had been traveling and waiting all day long, and decided to eat at Interlude. IT DOESN'T EXIST! We came down for dinner to be told that the only restaurant that was open was Trellis, and we were not dressed appropriately. Back up the 5 flights of stairs to our room (no elevators) we went and got ready for dinner. We come back down dressed up and starving and as we approach the hostess, they were very rude as we didn't have a reservation. Although there were at least 7-8 tables open. We waited 15 minutes or so and none of the tables filled up, so they went ahead and sat us, but wouldn't give us an ocean view as we didn't have a reservation. Those oceanside open tables never were filled during our entire dinner. The food tasted fine, but at a drink each with an appetizer and dessert was well over $200.
Few other gripes
-Lunch - for a couple of hamburgers and beers - $70-90
-Breakfast - no a la carte options, only $35/pp which was the WORST food that I have ever eaten! Room temperature sausage, bacon and dry rubbery potatoes. No one even asked us if our food was ok, they just dropped the bill while we were grabbing food.
-Water - They only give you one bottle when you check in. Each additional bottle is $11 to have them bring it to your room
-Room service- Be aware that there is a $7.50 delivery charge per person for food ordered into the room. This is not gratuity, but just a delivery charge.
-Beach - Although very beautiful, the beach is also very rocky and steep sand cliffs to get in and out of the water.
-Hotel location - There is nothing really within walking distance, so you will need a car or taxi for anywhere you go.
-Checking out - We were asked if we enjoyed our stay, and our reply was "Um, it was just okay" to which the hotel responded, "Oh, I am so glad that you enjoyed it" and then handed us a packet to ask us to review the hotel on TripAdvisor. So, here it is!
-If you can, book somewhere else. We had much more luxury experience in St. Barth's and Anguilla and the prices were more reasonable (We stayed at Hotel Christopher and the Viceroy Anguilla and highly recommend them!) You will save the money you would spend on the transfer in just one day.
-Get a bucket of 6 beers on the beach for $36 as opposed to paying $9 each at any of the other bars. Also, a bottle of water is free on the beach
-Hang at the beach and beach bar/pool as the staff is very nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond La Samanna nestles amongst lush gardens overlooking 55 acres of spectacular beachfront. A complete resort in itself, Belmond La Samanna offers a spectacular private beach, two poolside terraces, 83 luxurious rooms and suites and 8 recently renovated 4600sq. ft. villas with private pools. Enjoy its sophisticated food offerings and award winning wine cellar, indulge in its European Elysees Spa, or simply enjoy the privacy and relaxation of this sophisticated and sensual French-Caribbean enclave. Gourmet dishes are served in the elegant Trellis, and Baie Longue Bar offers pool-side dining and views of Baie Long Beach. Dine on your private terrace and later enjoy a drink from the wine cellar. Belmond La Samanna is everything you could wish for in a Caribbean hideaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Belmond, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, West Indies, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Belmond La Samanna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Samanna By Orient-Express Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- La Samanna Hotel
- La Samanna Resort St Martin