Had a good stay here this past weekend. The common areas are newly remodeled and it seems that the rooms have received some new furniture. Some overall thoughts:
Some of the staff was very warm. Both female front desk managers were great. Unfortunately the males at the front desk were not that friendly and seemed troubled to look up from whatever they were doing to help you. The housekeepers and room service people we dealt with were all eager to please and very helpful. Concierge was very knowledgeable but not overly warm. Bartenders were super nice.
This was one of the areas I was most frustrated with. Booking my stay through American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts, the hotel generally will upgrade you one room category from what you booked. In this case, I was told upon arrival that I'd been upgraded from a standard ocean view room to a one-bedroom suite. Pleasant surprise. I'd requested twin beds but was assured this would not be an issue, since most of the mattresses can be converted easily. After completing the check-in process I was told my room was not ready yet and it'd be a few minutes, at which point they'd give us a tour of the property and take us to our suite. They gave us a complimentary welcome drink while waited... and waited... and waited.
Two hours went by until we were finally told our room was ready. The front desk guy took us up three sets of stairs (no elevator at La Samanna) to our room. No tour of the property as promised. Upon entering it was clear that this was not a suite. It was a standard ocean view room. The front desk guy tried to lie to me and say this was a suite when it was clearly not a suite whatsoever. While I understand that they don't guarantee an upgrade, it was frustrating that I was told our big delay was while they readied a suite with two twin beds. Seemed like they tried to pull a fast one by hoping I wouldn't notice that my "complimentary upgrade" had been revoked. We gladly would have taken one king bed in a nicer suite.
To be fair, they bought us dinner for our delay ($155). A very nice gesture. It just seemed shady that they were hoping I wouldn't notice I'd somehow lost my promised upgrade.
Very clean. Stunning views. The beach was beautiful. A bit frustrating I was told I couldn't sit in a certain lounge chair on the beach "in case somebody bought a cabana."
Very removed but it's like you're in paradise. If you plan on wanting to explore St. Martin/St. Maarten I'd suggest renting a car. If you think your vacation will be more staying on property and relaxing, then a car is probably not necessary. Also nice that it's right in the middle of the French and Dutch sides.
Our room was nice (though just a standard hotel). The furniture was all very new and the beds comfortable. Unfortunately the bathroom felt very, very dated. Old tiles and a toilet that leaked everywhere. The shower was pretty bad too.
Room service food was pretty good. Nothing to complain about. Didn't try any of the on-property restaurants.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond La Samanna nestles amongst lush gardens overlooking 55 acres of spectacular beachfront. A complete resort in itself, Belmond La Samanna offers a spectacular private beach, two poolside terraces, 83 luxurious rooms and suites and 8 recently renovated 4600sq. ft. villas with private pools. Enjoy its sophisticated food offerings and award winning wine cellar, indulge in its European Elysees Spa, or simply enjoy the privacy and relaxation of this sophisticated and sensual French-Caribbean enclave. Gourmet dishes are served in the elegant Trellis, and Baie Longue Bar offers pool-side dining and views of Baie Long Beach. Dine on your private terrace and later enjoy a drink from the wine cellar. Belmond La Samanna is everything you could wish for in a Caribbean hideaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Belmond, Priceline, West Indies, Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belmond La Samanna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Samanna By Orient-Express Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- La Samanna Hotel
- La Samanna Resort St Martin