“Very Good, Not Perfect”
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Had a good stay here this past weekend. The common areas are newly remodeled and it seems that the rooms have received some new furniture. Some overall thoughts:

SERVICE:
Some of the staff was very warm. Both female front desk managers were great. Unfortunately the males at the front desk were not that friendly and seemed troubled to look up from whatever they were doing to help you. The housekeepers and room service people we dealt with were all eager to please and very helpful. Concierge was very knowledgeable but not overly warm. Bartenders were super nice.

CHECK-IN:
This was one of the areas I was most frustrated with. Booking my stay through American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts, the hotel generally will upgrade you one room category from what you booked. In this case, I was told upon arrival that I'd been upgraded from a standard ocean view room to a one-bedroom suite. Pleasant surprise. I'd requested twin beds but was assured this would not be an issue, since most of the mattresses can be converted easily. After completing the check-in process I was told my room was not ready yet and it'd be a few minutes, at which point they'd give us a tour of the property and take us to our suite. They gave us a complimentary welcome drink while waited... and waited... and waited.

Two hours went by until we were finally told our room was ready. The front desk guy took us up three sets of stairs (no elevator at La Samanna) to our room. No tour of the property as promised. Upon entering it was clear that this was not a suite. It was a standard ocean view room. The front desk guy tried to lie to me and say this was a suite when it was clearly not a suite whatsoever. While I understand that they don't guarantee an upgrade, it was frustrating that I was told our big delay was while they readied a suite with two twin beds. Seemed like they tried to pull a fast one by hoping I wouldn't notice that my "complimentary upgrade" had been revoked. We gladly would have taken one king bed in a nicer suite.

To be fair, they bought us dinner for our delay ($155). A very nice gesture. It just seemed shady that they were hoping I wouldn't notice I'd somehow lost my promised upgrade.

COMMON AREAS:
Very clean. Stunning views. The beach was beautiful. A bit frustrating I was told I couldn't sit in a certain lounge chair on the beach "in case somebody bought a cabana."

LOCATION:
Very removed but it's like you're in paradise. If you plan on wanting to explore St. Martin/St. Maarten I'd suggest renting a car. If you think your vacation will be more staying on property and relaxing, then a car is probably not necessary. Also nice that it's right in the middle of the French and Dutch sides.

ROOMS:
Our room was nice (though just a standard hotel). The furniture was all very new and the beds comfortable. Unfortunately the bathroom felt very, very dated. Old tiles and a toilet that leaked everywhere. The shower was pretty bad too.

FOOD:
Room service food was pretty good. Nothing to complain about. Didn't try any of the on-property restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JustinBrandonLA

Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was our first trip to Saint Martin and all of our expectations were blown away by La Samanna. It's an incredible resort and the location and views are completely amazing.

We stayed 4 nights at a 1 bedroom villa along the beach. We had planned to explore the island but ended up staying the entire time at La Samanna. We ate every evening at the restaurant which is outside and looks over the bay. Our days were spent at the beach bar and along the ocean where the amazing staff takes care of every need.

Excellent food. We had the risotto and steak multiple times. Excellent drinks. The rum punch is fantastic. The gym and spa are top notch. We had a deep tissue massage that was incredible. The staff is incredibly kind and attentive. Diane and Isabel at the front desk were outstanding.

Our room was luxurious and spotless and seemed brand new. Beautiful marble bath and shower.

The most amazing part of La Samanna is the location, the beach and the views. Pictures do not do it justice. You must experience it for yourself.

Overall, a 5 star experience and one of the best vacations we've ever had. There was nothing negative regarding our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a one bedroom along the beach.
1  Thank Nathan A
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Our room was amazing. Balcony facing the ocean big room with family room. No elevator but I did the mind. The rooms were old fashioned in an elegant way. The breakfast was very good sitting in the restaurant facilities get the beach or the restaurant balcony was very romantic. Service was impeccable. My wife and I got a couples massage, a must do. Highly recommended. The activities were fun too but we ventured off the resort for other attractions too. Taxi was very expensive.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Travelerdarren
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear travelerDarren.

Thank you for your feedback and I am very happy to read about your great stay. As I read you review I see that you were staying in the main building, which wasn’t part of the latest renovation that took place one and a half year ago in the beachside rooms. As you mention the old fashion elegant style, I can tell you that some of our long time repeat guest only wants to stay in the main building and they would be upset if we touched the design of the rooms. I will also share your comments with the SPA. Thanks again for the review and I hope we will have you back soon at beautiful La Samanna.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

La Samanna is beautiful. The beach, the rooms... the staff was very nice and helpful. We had a terrible experience with the restaurant and don't recommend you eat there. Room service was also awful. But the beach is very nice. The pool. Lunch at the beach bar is pretty good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear david R.

Thank you very much for taking time to post your review of your recent stay with us. While I am thrilled that you found the resort service and beach amazing, I do regret you had a deceiving experience with the Restaurant and room service. Rest assured that your comments are very important for me and I would be very grateful if you would consider getting in touch with me personally to review these issues as our guest are usually extremely happy with our new chef’s cuisine. I hope to hear back from you and that you will consider giving La Samanna restaurant a new chance in the future. pdeyrolle@lasamanna.com

Reviewed 20 November 2013

This was our second visit to La Samanna..once before the renovations and just this November. The beach is very private, beautiful water, very relaxing. We love it because it is not touristy or crowded. Our room was just perfect. We were in the main building on the top floor so we loved the views at night. Our bedroom TV did not work for the entire week which was not so good but that was the only glitch. We stocked the fridge with our own drinks as the prices for cocktails are a bit high on the property and it does add up.
You can rent cars right on the property so no need to call an outside company.
The breakfast buffet is just wonderful. There is something for all appetites.
We ate dinner at the restaurant and it was good. Not the best dinner we had on the island but you can't beat the views.
Staff is SUPER friendly and is there for anything you need. Most of the friends we met there never left the property. We are a bit more adventurous and ventured all over the island and then would come back to relax.
A great place for couples..not super kid friendly simply because it is on the quiet side and more mellow that a bigger resort. I actually like that there weren't a bunch of screaming kids running around!
All in all..it was a fabulous, highly upscale resort that was well worth the visit.
The couples massage was WELL worth it!!
Boutiques on premises as well as a nice fitness center.

1  Thank budcalifornia

Dear Budcalifornia.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to see that this was your second visit to the resort and that and I really hope this won’t be the last. I am sorry to read about your TV. We are now working with a big European TV/Wifi provider and getting the technology to the Caribbean can sometimes be a little bit tricky but all is now in order and everything is working perfectly. Regarding the kids, it is true that we do not have many but we do have a Kids club every afternoon on demand, so feel free to bring the kids next time and they will have great fun. I am hoping to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

FABULOUS from start to finish ... rooms are beautiful.. staff is amazing best beach.... breakfast perfect and the concierge very informative... views at night the beach is lit up.. great dining.... the most friendly staff... wonderful fabulous resort.. piece of heaven...

Room Tip: Top floor... view magnifcent
1  Thank ambercity

Dear Ambercity.

Thank you so much for your kind words about your recent stay at beautiful La Samanna! I share the exact same thought about this small piece of paradise and I wish everybody was able to see its real and unspoiled beauty. I hope you will be back soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We just came back from 7 days vacation from this terrible place. We paid around 7000$ for horrible vocation ever. The first day I wanted to go to the beach but I saw 2 street dogs walking on hotels beach, they can come to you when you r resting and taking a nap on a beach. When I asked staff to do smth with that they just ignore me. This hotel is pretending to be a 5 star hotel but its 2 star hotel. When u having a dinner for 300& cat may walk under the table- it is normal????!!!!! Stuff is unprofessional! I've never go back!!! My friends just wanted to book this place and thank God they cancelled!!!! I don't recommend place to anybody, it is over priced for beach with street dogs and a " high end restaurant" with cats!!!!

9  Thank Liana V

Dear Liana V.

I would like to apologize once again about the presence of cats around the property. As we explained to you during your stay, Saint Martin and Sint Maarten Deutsch side are “Cats friendly” and there are many local associations fighting for their protection. The few cats we have around the hotel are all vaccinated and sterilized, tagged and protected by these associations. Please accept all my apologies if they ruined your holidays.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!