“La Samanna . A dream away....”
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Maine
“La Samanna . A dream away....”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Love reading the reviews posted on this amazing resort. We visit St Maarten but cannot afford to stay at La Samanna. We do visit Baie Longue beach numerous times during our stay and I'm always looking at the resort with such splendor. Celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary this year and would like to experience a special dinner celebration at their restaurant, a first! Suggestions welcomed. Thank you for sharing your stories too. Such a beautiful island. Love it.
Linda

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SXM69
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear SXM69,
Thank you so much for your post and it would be our great pleasure to welcome you for your 45th wedding anniversary. I suggest that you get in touch with my concierge (concierge@lasamanna.com) so they will be able to offer so many different dining option. From stargazing dinner on the beach, dinner in our exclusive Wine Cellar, or our sumptuous Caligula dinner on the beach where you will be lying down, all alone on the entire beach, among candles, bubbles of Champagne and an extraordinary seafood tray.
We are very much looking forward to hearing from you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
North Salem, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at La Samanna for just one night in February after spending 10 days in Anguilla. Our vacation started off pretty poorly, as I had arrived in St. Martin early for work, with my family expected to follow 2 days later. However, they got stuck in one of the many snowstorms this winter here in New York (and everywhere in the U.S. this year, it seems), and were delayed for 2 days, so I spent 4 days alone (okay, in paradise, but still alone). When they finally arrived, the vacation really began. We had a private villa in Anguilla but needed a place for our last night before flying back to the states. I chose La Samanna because it is a hotel I've always wanted to try and we were not disappointed. It was beautiful and the service was phenomenal.

Until this stay, I was not a huge fan of St. Martin, but La Samanna changed my mind! Perched on the cliff overlooking the beautiful beach, it is stunning. When we arrived, our rooms were not yet ready (it was only 9:30 a.m., and during the high season, so this did not surprise or disappoint us). The woman at the front desk suggested we have breakfast and they would notify us when our rooms were ready. We had reserved a 2-bedroom suite because it was me, my husband, and our 2 teenage children. Beautifully furnished, with a large master bedroom/master bath, a living room, efficiency kitchen, and a smaller, but lovely en-suite bedroom on the other end of the living room, We had a lovely balcony that overlooked the beach, which was fantastic to view the sunset. The beds were extremely comfortable and the master bathroom had a soaking tub and huge open shower with rain shower head. The toiletries were L'Occitaine.

We had dinner at the restaurant that evening and everything was delicious and the service was gracious. It was a very relaxing evening with almost a full house.

Breakfast was a very comprehensive buffet, with eggs and omelets made to order, if desired, but there were a lot of other options, including scrambled egg whites, regular scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes and waffles, oatmeal, cereals, fruit, and a wide selection of pastries. The chocolate croissants were scrumptious. Fresh-squeezed orange and grapefruit juice and a wide selection of tea, espresso and cappuccino. The view is also lovely from the dining area where breakfast is served.

We spent the day on the beach, which was very nice. Comfortable lounge chairs, umbrellas, and the option of a full shaded beach pavilion (for extra cost, I believe). There were stand-up paddle boards, and other non-motorized water sports equipment and motorized options for extra cost (not a fan of these, but really did not create too much noise pollution, after all). What I loved about the beach service, was the flag that you put out in the sand when you want an attendant to come - how civilized! There was also a beach restaurant, where our kids had lunch (we had had a big breakfast, so we were not hungry for lunch). We ordered drinks at the beach and the rum punches were very tasty. My husband and I later went up to the pool area when the sun was falling in the sky and the beach became too hot for us. One thing I will say about the beach is that there is not much of a breeze, which we were not used to, so it did get very hot. The water was a lovely color and temperature, but there were lots of boulders in the water, so it did make for a bit of a difficult time when you just wanted a dip to cool off. Most people did not seem to mind, but I'm used to a sandy beach, so beware of that one negative. I'm sure if I walked a few hundred feet in either direction, I would probably have found a better entry into the water, but it was not too big of a deal - we were only there for one day.

There are at least 2 pools, one off the dining area where breakfast is served and one next to the beach bar which has a beautiful infinity edge and sits right over the beach. We spent time at the one by the breakfast dining area and it was very nice, quiet and comfortable. We ordered margaritas for a late afternoon cocktail and enjoyed the atmosphere.

The entire property was very well maintained with well manicured grounds and impeccable attention to detail. I even saw an employee wiping down the walls for potential finger prints! Always sweeping and polishing - attention to detail was notable.

On our departure, the front desk staff was very nice and helpful - they had pre-arranged to pick up our bags and for transportation to the airport.

All in, we would definitely go back again. I am pretty picky about my hotel accommodations, and this definitely met all of my high expectations.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank momtojayandlauren
Dear Momtojayandlauren,
Thank you very much for sharing your five star review.
It is such a pleasure to read that you had an enchanting vacation during your recent stay with us at Belmond La Samanna.
Your comments with regards to the service and facilities, and your praise covering many of our departments at the hotel are greatly appreciated.
We are thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful experience and enjoyed our cordial, personal service and attention to details; we are delighted you liked the setting of the room and the delicate bathroom amenities, also glad you found our property to be stunning and our location to be ideal, and that our F&B outlets succeeded in meeting your demands.

The whole Team works very hard to consistently deliver the best service and pampering experience to each of our guests and are touched when efforts are recognised through such positive feedback. Our utmost reward is to hear extremely satisfied guests like you stating that Belmond La Samanna met your high expectations and consequently gave you a taste of 5 star treatment; it is truly encouraging and we will keep on providing such high standards.
Please let us know when you will be returning to St-Martin, as we would love to welcome you back!
boston
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I spent a week in February at La Samanna. The property has been beautifully renovated, the service is better than ever, the food is extraordinary. This is my second visit, the last one being in 2010, and I have to say that this property has gotten better with the years. Incredibly accommodating staff, attentive in every way yet not obtrusive, beautifully renovated beachfront cottages, fabulous food and beverage. I am in the hotel biz, travel quite a bit, in five star destinations around the globe, and La Samanna is at the very top of the list.

A perfect resort in a wonderful part of the Caribbean, worth a special trip!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bosstowntraveller
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Bosstowntraveller,
Thank you very much for reviewing about your second stay with us and I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the service and the renovations we undertook. As a matter of fact, M. James Sherwood, creator of the Orient Express company at the time (Now Belmond), visited us 4 years ago before the renovations and said: “La Samanna is a diamond; it just needs to be polished”. La Samanna is like a good wine; years and experience brought the property to maturity and excellence. Come back soon.
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Once again, La Samanna was wonderful!! We just returned from two glorious weeks enjoying this elegant resort. I could write a tome!! But, suffice it to say, that after visiting this oasis many times over the past 28 years we, again, were sad to leave. As usual, the staff, to a person, is the most accomodating we have experienced anywhere in the world - - A tribute to everyone including senior management!! We crave privacy and pampering in good taste without ostentatiousness. That is La Samanna. We will return next year, only for three weeks instead of two. Thanks again, everyone at La Samanna, for a wonderful stay! L&L K.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank larryk417
Dear L&L K,
Thank you for such a great feedback. I am so happy to read such a beautiful description of our small piece of heaven. You found the perfect words to describe this simple luxury that 35% of our repeat guest come and seek over the years. Guest like you make La Samanna this very special place to be and it is always with emotion that we welcome our long time guests year after year. You are truly part of La Samanna family and La Samanna history.
Parkland, Florida
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We fell in love with the island of St. Martin (French side) because the people are so nice, the food is incredible (better than France) and the beaches are superb. The hotel itself, for the price, leaves something to be desired. When you are paying that much for a "supposed" five star resort you want five star service and a five star room. We didn't feel we got that. The room was teeny tiny, much like a studio apartment, but had a nice view of the beach and some of the services that were offered were not five star at all.Many mix-ups with the concierge was frustrating. We would not stay there again but try another resort on the island for comparison.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very small and have many stairs to climb. Doors do not have locks but have magneti...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank suexcourt
Dear SuexCourt,
Thank you very much for your feedback. Saint Martin is a very European Island that lives on a Caribbean rhythm and this is what gives its very special character. Our Deluxe room are not very large but beautifully located on a pristine beach facing the beautiful sunset. I am sorry you didn’t feel safe with a magnetic lock and I can assure that the property is highly secured and our guest have nothing to fear. Thanks again for taking the time to give your feedback.
Powell, Ohio
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a week at the incredible property with my wife. Amazing beach and rooms with priceless ambiance all under the direction of Romel who made sure every moment was special. Private wine tasting in the Wine Cave is a steal you will never forget just like the complimentary fruit served daily on the beach and the warm afternoon donuts delivered to all beach lovers.

Priceless property & service!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Gregory M
Dear Gregory M,
Thank you very much for this great feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to read you visited our exclusive wine cellar with our sommelier Christian. I will also share your feedback with Romel who takes such good care of the Beach Bar. I hope you will be back soon and don’t forget that we have a great fitness center to exercise so you can eat more donuts on the beach.
Wantagh, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We picked this luxury hotel thru luxury link which is a travel website. We went Sat November 24, 2012 for 5 nights. The option on trip advisor had me put 2013 but it was really 2012.This place was breath taking. The hotel was amazing and so was the staff. We stayed in a villa for my mom’s 60th birthday and our host was incredible as well. The breakfast was included and was very filling. You get a lot for it being included. I feel terrible as they were amazing and I am only getting to the review now 2 years later but I remember it like it was yesterday. I will make this review sort and to the point. Food was incredible. Views and basically everything in plain sight was breath taking. Beaches were very clean and beautiful. Hotel was very clean and so was our villa. We had my niece with us who at that time was almost a year old. I would say it is kid friendly and there are a lot of things for kids to do. The only reason I would go back without any kids is the beach which is amazing but has a drop right when you get in the ocean with a hard pull. It is like that all year long. This is not the hotels fault obviously and for adults it is absolutely fine and kids that are over 12. You have to swim a little far out. The water is incredible and amazing I just would personally rather not bring kids that are under 12 because of the drop. Other than that reason bringing kids there of any age is fine. I would have to say this place is a dream come true. I felt like a celebrity there. Staying in St. Maarten on this side of the island I wouldn’t stay anywhere else but there.

Room Tip: Villa's have the most breath taking views and a private pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear DanielleV,
What a great review, thank you very much. I am very happy to read that your expectations were met while staying with us and I must apologize for the beach condition as this is not usually that steep. We are used to have a very flat beach in the winter and a small drop in the summer. Mother Nature has decided not to flatten the beach this winter and this is the first time in decades that we experiment this phenomenon. All beaches of surrounding Islands are facing the same lack of sand but we have good hope to recover from this as soon as a big wave will bring our sand back. Thanks again for the great review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,251 reviews

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!