“PERFECT!”
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We happened upon La Samanna by accident, as we were walking along Baie Longue. And, we are so happy we did!! We walked up to the hotel and were instantly greeted by two of the most friendliest people I have ever met! They made me feel instantly at home! They immediately got us lounge chairs, got us drinks, and we were in heaven. The food was excellent. They have an infinity pool that was so nice. From our pictures, we couldn't tell where the pool ended and the ocean began. The rooms looked incredible and the restaurant overlooked the ocean and had the best views of the sunset. This is the place to stay in Baie Longue. It's as if you have your own private, beautiful beach!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear gretchen411,

I am very glad to read that your walk brought you to our beautiful property. It is true that a day on our beach is often compared to a day in Heaven. Feel free to come back again for lunch as the menu on the board changes everyday and promises to regale your taste buds.
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor, this is highly appreciated. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

Reviewed 22 March 2014

As I was having a day layover between flights of 14 hours I decide to book a room at La Samanna. They honoured my request and I was extremely pleased.
Fabulous room with great views, enjoyed an excellent breakfast a great lunch and extremely friendly service!
I shall return!

Room Tip: Try the terrace suite!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank DFWJ

Dear DFWJ,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor while you were with us only for a few hours. This was such a great idea to stop by.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the future to our "Friendly Island".

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hotel is priced like a Four Seasons, but offers the experience of a Holiday Inn.

The staff is noticeably absent. They were unable to seat us for dinner. We had a Tapas plate which tasted like day old convenience store fare. It is isolate on the island and relatively inconvenient.

Do not stay here.

Stayed: March 2014
9  Thank Traveler G
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Traveler G,
Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Belmond La Samanna, as we learn from it continuously, to become better and satisfy to its best our guests needs.
Know that i take to heart your comments and i totally understand the disappointment that was yours if the quality of our service was not to your expectations.
I can assure you that we are addressing the issues you raised with all departments involved so that they are corrected in the future.
Please accept our apologies concerning our Tapas not being attractive, as they are minute made and should look and taste this exact same way.
As for dinner at our Restaurant Le Trellis, we are terribly sorry if no table were available for you at that moment and didn't get the chance to experience it; that said the hotel was fully booked and we do recommend to make a reservation in advance, as we can proudly say it is very popular place to dine.
Finally, our prices are aligned to those in all our neighbouring islands.
I hope you will offer us a chance to gain back your confidence in our staff & service.
Please accept my respectful greetings,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel was wonderful. Service impeccable- although occasional "island time" delivery of extra coffee from room service. What was disappointing was the representation that our airport transfer was round trip for $103, but the hotel did not standby the return taxi transfer when we left. Even though on the bill it was referenced as "round trip" airport transfer.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear TripadvisorMember,
Thank you very much for your very nice comments about the hotel and the service.
Regarding the transfer, it seems that you might have been over charged for a service you didn't fully get and I would mostly appreciate if you would consider contacting my concierge (concierge@lasamanna.com) to give your identity so we could look into your file to see what happened there. I will make sure to follow up on this and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Love reading the reviews posted on this amazing resort. We visit St Maarten but cannot afford to stay at La Samanna. We do visit Baie Longue beach numerous times during our stay and I'm always looking at the resort with such splendor. Celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary this year and would like to experience a special dinner celebration at their restaurant, a first! Suggestions welcomed. Thank you for sharing your stories too. Such a beautiful island. Love it.
Linda

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SXM69

Dear SXM69,
Thank you so much for your post and it would be our great pleasure to welcome you for your 45th wedding anniversary. I suggest that you get in touch with my concierge (concierge@lasamanna.com) so they will be able to offer so many different dining option. From stargazing dinner on the beach, dinner in our exclusive Wine Cellar, or our sumptuous Caligula dinner on the beach where you will be lying down, all alone on the entire beach, among candles, bubbles of Champagne and an extraordinary seafood tray.
We are very much looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at La Samanna for just one night in February after spending 10 days in Anguilla. Our vacation started off pretty poorly, as I had arrived in St. Martin early for work, with my family expected to follow 2 days later. However, they got stuck in one of the many snowstorms this winter here in New York (and everywhere in the U.S. this year, it seems), and were delayed for 2 days, so I spent 4 days alone (okay, in paradise, but still alone). When they finally arrived, the vacation really began. We had a private villa in Anguilla but needed a place for our last night before flying back to the states. I chose La Samanna because it is a hotel I've always wanted to try and we were not disappointed. It was beautiful and the service was phenomenal.

Until this stay, I was not a huge fan of St. Martin, but La Samanna changed my mind! Perched on the cliff overlooking the beautiful beach, it is stunning. When we arrived, our rooms were not yet ready (it was only 9:30 a.m., and during the high season, so this did not surprise or disappoint us). The woman at the front desk suggested we have breakfast and they would notify us when our rooms were ready. We had reserved a 2-bedroom suite because it was me, my husband, and our 2 teenage children. Beautifully furnished, with a large master bedroom/master bath, a living room, efficiency kitchen, and a smaller, but lovely en-suite bedroom on the other end of the living room, We had a lovely balcony that overlooked the beach, which was fantastic to view the sunset. The beds were extremely comfortable and the master bathroom had a soaking tub and huge open shower with rain shower head. The toiletries were L'Occitaine.

We had dinner at the restaurant that evening and everything was delicious and the service was gracious. It was a very relaxing evening with almost a full house.

Breakfast was a very comprehensive buffet, with eggs and omelets made to order, if desired, but there were a lot of other options, including scrambled egg whites, regular scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes and waffles, oatmeal, cereals, fruit, and a wide selection of pastries. The chocolate croissants were scrumptious. Fresh-squeezed orange and grapefruit juice and a wide selection of tea, espresso and cappuccino. The view is also lovely from the dining area where breakfast is served.

We spent the day on the beach, which was very nice. Comfortable lounge chairs, umbrellas, and the option of a full shaded beach pavilion (for extra cost, I believe). There were stand-up paddle boards, and other non-motorized water sports equipment and motorized options for extra cost (not a fan of these, but really did not create too much noise pollution, after all). What I loved about the beach service, was the flag that you put out in the sand when you want an attendant to come - how civilized! There was also a beach restaurant, where our kids had lunch (we had had a big breakfast, so we were not hungry for lunch). We ordered drinks at the beach and the rum punches were very tasty. My husband and I later went up to the pool area when the sun was falling in the sky and the beach became too hot for us. One thing I will say about the beach is that there is not much of a breeze, which we were not used to, so it did get very hot. The water was a lovely color and temperature, but there were lots of boulders in the water, so it did make for a bit of a difficult time when you just wanted a dip to cool off. Most people did not seem to mind, but I'm used to a sandy beach, so beware of that one negative. I'm sure if I walked a few hundred feet in either direction, I would probably have found a better entry into the water, but it was not too big of a deal - we were only there for one day.

There are at least 2 pools, one off the dining area where breakfast is served and one next to the beach bar which has a beautiful infinity edge and sits right over the beach. We spent time at the one by the breakfast dining area and it was very nice, quiet and comfortable. We ordered margaritas for a late afternoon cocktail and enjoyed the atmosphere.

The entire property was very well maintained with well manicured grounds and impeccable attention to detail. I even saw an employee wiping down the walls for potential finger prints! Always sweeping and polishing - attention to detail was notable.

On our departure, the front desk staff was very nice and helpful - they had pre-arranged to pick up our bags and for transportation to the airport.

All in, we would definitely go back again. I am pretty picky about my hotel accommodations, and this definitely met all of my high expectations.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank momtojayandlauren

Dear Momtojayandlauren,
Thank you very much for sharing your five star review.
It is such a pleasure to read that you had an enchanting vacation during your recent stay with us at Belmond La Samanna.
Your comments with regards to the service and facilities, and your praise covering many of our departments at the hotel are greatly appreciated.
We are thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful experience and enjoyed our cordial, personal service and attention to details; we are delighted you liked the setting of the room and the delicate bathroom amenities, also glad you found our property to be stunning and our location to be ideal, and that our F&B outlets succeeded in meeting your demands.

The whole Team works very hard to consistently deliver the best service and pampering experience to each of our guests and are touched when efforts are recognised through such positive feedback. Our utmost reward is to hear extremely satisfied guests like you stating that Belmond La Samanna met your high expectations and consequently gave you a taste of 5 star treatment; it is truly encouraging and we will keep on providing such high standards.
Please let us know when you will be returning to St-Martin, as we would love to welcome you back!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I spent a week in February at La Samanna. The property has been beautifully renovated, the service is better than ever, the food is extraordinary. This is my second visit, the last one being in 2010, and I have to say that this property has gotten better with the years. Incredibly accommodating staff, attentive in every way yet not obtrusive, beautifully renovated beachfront cottages, fabulous food and beverage. I am in the hotel biz, travel quite a bit, in five star destinations around the globe, and La Samanna is at the very top of the list.

A perfect resort in a wonderful part of the Caribbean, worth a special trip!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bosstowntraveller
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Bosstowntraveller,
Thank you very much for reviewing about your second stay with us and I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the service and the renovations we undertook. As a matter of fact, M. James Sherwood, creator of the Orient Express company at the time (Now Belmond), visited us 4 years ago before the renovations and said: “La Samanna is a diamond; it just needs to be polished”. La Samanna is like a good wine; years and experience brought the property to maturity and excellence. Come back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Azure Hotel & Art Studio
Azure Hotel & Art Studio
#1 of 7 in Simpson Bay
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!