“location location location but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Rome, Italy
“location location location but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

still the best location on the island, despite some erosion long bay remains spectacular. the hotel may benefit from some revamping. we expected staff to be more welcoming and attentive at this price level.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank unionsquare
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Union Square,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. It seems that the welcoming you got wasn't up to our high standard and I would like to apologize for this. Your review will be shared with the entire team and I hope you will consider coming back to la Samanna in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We spent the day at the resort, renting a cabana on the beach, stopping on a recent cruise. Didn't seem like they sell a lot of these for the price, given that the beach is already so beautiful, private, and remote, but I certainly wasn't about to pay for a room rate, just to use their beach when there are no shortage of amazing beaches on both sides of the Island. Truth be told, my little brother got engaged there and I wanted to show my kids and see myself. Breathtaking, Luxurious, Amazing. But Pricey. When my kids got cranky in the afternoon, they stood out amongst the mostly European crowd as obnoxious American kids. When your kids are older and can appreciate, I can't imagine a much nicer place to spend a long weekend, that also easy to get to......if you can afford.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark R
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Mark R,
Thank you for your review and I am very happy to read that you took the time to come to our beach cabanas even for such a short stop over during your cruise. So nice of you to come and see where your brother got engaged. I hope this brought lots of happiness in his couple and it would be wonderful to have them back.
Do you know that over 80% of our guests are American? As Belmond La Samanna is usually considered as a romantic get away, you must know that we have a great Kids Club for children up to 13 years old. We are looking forward to welcoming you and your brother back again in our small paradise.
St. Martin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

What an amazing experience!! Beautiful grounds, great staff, accommodations are awesome & the scenery is breathtaking! The private beach is for guest only, so not crowded, free chairs & umbrellas, plus beach service that allows you yo order food & drinks without ever leaving your spot, doesn't get any better! We will be staying here again, luxury at it's best!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Mark S,

Thank you so much for this great review! I count of you for spreading the word about our beautiful piece of Heaven and look forward to welcoming you in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

With direct flights from NY this place is a no brainer. Stunning powerade blue, warm water. Delightful staff, facilities becoming dated but the beach is fantastic. Not sure about the plastic trampoline in the middle of the beach - kind of ruins the view.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon L
Dear Simon L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Belmond La Samanna. I am happy to read you enjoyed our beach and as for the facilities, I must tell you that we have been undergoing major renovations over the last 2 years and this is only the beginning. The trampoline is one of the favorite attraction of our guests and I must admit that its yellow color does make it quite noticeable. I thank you for your comment and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Claremont, CA, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

At almost $1,000 per night (high season rate including taxes) there were high expectations before we arrived. Mid afternoon arrival did not find our rooms ready but we were upgraded to a suite on the beach. The room was comfortable and as a suite very spacious but the quality and furnishings are perhaps closer to 4 star rather than 5. The gardens and grounds are mature and well landscaped. The hotel buildings show their age but are well cared for. The spa is miniscule. I guess the strength is the friendliness and warmth of the people who work there. They all went out of their way to make us feel so welcome with a genuine friendliness that comes with a happy well managed team.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Hugh B
Dear Hugh B,

Thank you very much for your kind review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you room was not ready when you arrived but as we are often sold out, we need a few hours after guests' departure to clean the room for the next arrivals and this explains that our check in time is 4pm. We encourage all our guest to let us know their exact arrival time in advance so we can play with the room attributions depending on Departure / Arrival time and make sure everyone is settled as soon as possible to start enjoying a great holiday.
The hotel just celebrated its 40th birthday and renovations take place little by little, year after year. Most of the rooms on the beach have been refurbished with beautiful and new comfortable furniture. We are hoping you will consider coming back so you can try one of them.
Your great comments about the staff will be shared with the entire team. Thank you again for reviewing on Trip Advisor.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed here in March for 8 days. It was myself, 2 teenage daughters, and my 83 year old mother. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. Every staff person was very kind and helpful. The resort is stunning, ocean views galore from just about everywhere. We had a lovely 2 bedroom suite right on the ocean. It was much larger than I thought it would be, a nice kitchen, living room and 2 good sized bedrooms with large, modern baths. A stunning patio with covered table area, lounge chairs, and umbrella,2 steps down and you are on the beach. Note for accessibilty issues - the resort has had a lot of erosion recently and there a is a huge drop-off of about 10 feet, straight down from the upper flat part of the beach where the lounge chairs are down to the ocean. They have installed ropes to make it easier to navigate, but my mother could not go down to the water. The location of the resort is fabulous, $20 cab ride from the airport. If you think you may want to explore the island, I would recommend taking a taxi to the hotel from the airport and then renting a car at the hotel for the days you want it. MUCH less hassle than renting from the airport, and most days we did not leave the hotel except for dinner, and we took a taxi then anyway. The food was delicious, albeit pricey. The breakfast buffet is simply amazing, best I have ever seen. We ate lunch either on the beach (quaint flags by your lounger that you put out when you need something) or at the pool restaurant. The only negative I would give the hotel is lack of dinner options. The pool restaurant/bar is so nice, and lively but it is not open for dinner. The breakfast dining area is not open for dinner either. The dinner dining area is small, and lacks anything special. We ate there one night and were not terribly impressed, there are many gourmet/fun/island type restaurants close by, so just plan on eating out for dinner. If the hotel could open the pool restaurant even just a few nights a week, that would be ideal. They said you could order tapas there, but we tried one night and none of the staff knew what we were talking about. There is a golf cart system they use to shuttle you back and forth to the main building if you don't want to walk, or like us have an elderly traveler with you. You call for the cart, and hardly ever have to wait, they show up immediately.
Truly, the staff make this resort special. Small example - we broke our "do not disturb" sign one morning leaving for breakfast, It is a shell necklace that you hang on the door and it got caught a few times and broke. Anyway, when we returned from breakfast, it had been replaced without our saying a word. That is service. This hotel is worth the price, heaven on earth.

Room Tip: Ground floor oceanfront suite made access to the beach so easy.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Southerntraveller_12
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Southerntraveller_12,
Thank you very much for your great words. I am very glad to read that you had a fantastic time with your family. I am sorry that your mother wasn't able to go in the sea due to the steep access but the big wave we were expecting since November to flatten the beach has arrived 2 weeks ago and the access is now completely flat again. This wave was 5 months late and there was unfortunately not much we could do about this as Belmond La Samanna beach is a nesting point for sea turtles and only mother nature is allowed to modify its shape.
Thank you for your comments regarding dinning options and as I was explaining in a precedent post, we are now working on having a wider choice for dinning venues. The tapas menu from the bar was quite new when you stayed with us and I am very sorry to read that my staff wasn't well informed about it. This has been corrected and guests are welcome to give them a try everyday from 5pm.
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back again.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

My wife and I had a very nice stay at La Samanna last week. The resort is beautiful and well maintained. The beach is amazing (though the surf is a little rough with a steep drop off). We had an ocean view room with a private balcony in the main building that was quite nice. The room had been recently redone and was in excellent condition. One small issue was our air conditioner was broken the first night, but was fixed quickly the next morning and the temp at night wasn't too bad even without it. I would have loved to try a beach front room, however, that was not the cards for us this trip.

The food at the beach restaurant is decent and the drinks are quite good (but very pricey). The food at the main restaurant is good as well, though maybe not worth the price.

The tennis facilities are good (1 hard court, 2 artificial grass (I think) courts), though sparsely used during our stay, and the pro was very friendly and helpful.

Areas for improvement:
1. The service at the water-sports hut was terrible. We took out a few paddle boards and received very little help and no instruction (not even a "have you used these before"). All the guy did was have us sign a waiver and point us to the boards. Coming back from our paddle he did not come to help us get the boards back up the beach until the last minute and I ended up cutting my foot on beach rocks in the process. Not a big deal, but I would have expected a little more help.

2. In general the service on the beach as well as the bell hop service was spotty. A five star resort should not make mistakes with your luggage and should be more attentive to their guests. Note, the beach service was not terrible, just not as good as I have experienced at other 5 star resorts. Also, the breakfast, main bar and restaurant service was better.

3. I don't think there is anything the hotel can do about it, but it seems a lot of island boat tours come to use the cove/beach. I'm sure this is great for the people on the boat tour, but as a guest of the hotel, the beach is much quieter and nicer without them. It's not a huge problem, but a bit of a nuisance.

Despite these small issues, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. That said, we did get what I consider to be a reasonable rate on the hotel, which was half the rate we would have had to pay if we visited a few weeks earlier. I think if I had paid 2x as much, I might have expected a bit more, so be sure you set your expectations accordingly.

Room Tip: We had room 107 which had nice privacy (near the end of the hall) and was recently redone. I would...
1 Thank MGNYC23
Dear MGNYC23,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.
While I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel very much, I am sorry that the Watersport staff hasn't been more present in helping you and giving you advices when you might have needed some. Your review will be shared with them, together with the Bell boys and Beach team, and we will implement corrective measures to make sure service is constantly delivered at the highest level and at all times.
Regarding the Island boats coming to our cove for snorkeling, there is as you said not much we can do as the sea is a public area. Our cove is indeed a beautiful place to snorkel and has the advantage of being very calm when the sea can be rough at other places of the Island. The good thing is that these boats usually stay for a very short time.
Thank you again for your review and I hope we will have the great pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,223 reviews

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!