Belmond La Samanna
US$245
US$217
Travel Inn Hotel(Simpson Bay)
US$133
US$111
No availability for your dates from our partners
Turquoise Shell Inn(Simpson Bay)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
1,150 results
All reviewsbeach barmain buildingplunge poolwine cellarla caveone bedroom suiteour honeymoonbeach attendantsconcierge staffbeautiful resortstar servicest martinbeach servicebaie longueorient expressthe main dining roomprivate beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 April 2014

It's a shame that I am forced to write this review, because but for one major flaw we enjoyed our stay. La Samanna is otherwise a great hotel -- clean, luxurious, great location, good food, relaxing -- everything you'd want in a boutique luxury retreat.

Unfortunately they're also apparently greedy -- they hosted a large corporate function while we were there, which was way too big for a hotel of this size. Whereas at a larger hotel a large group would blend in and be absorbed by the other guests, this group dominated and overwhelmed La Samanna. The pool became a networking location, making us feel unwelcome. Staff was focused on the group, making them unavailable for "regular" guests. Certain facilities (e.g., the main pool) were closed for a day during our stay to accommodate group events -- for which we were not compensated. The hotel should be ashamed for hosting such an event at the same time that other guests are staying at the hotel.

So, in sum, call ahead before booking to confirm no corporate events. If there are none, I guarantee you will enjoy your stay -- we just had unfortunate timing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Jason E
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Jason E,
Thank you very much for writing about your stay with us. I would like to apologize if you felt that the group we had in house made you feel unwelcome and you must know that we always try in these situations to pamper our individual guest to make them feel like home. This group trip was an incentive for the best employees of a great company and only a few members of staff had the duty of looking after them; the other majority only focuses on individuals and I am sorry if you felt we were not 100% available for you. This shouldn't have happened and your comments will surely be reviewed with the entire team so action can be taken for the future,
I hope you still enjoyed your time with us and that we will have the great pleasure of welcoming you back to beautiful Belmond la Samanna.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

still the best location on the island, despite some erosion long bay remains spectacular. the hotel may benefit from some revamping. we expected staff to be more welcoming and attentive at this price level.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank unionsquare

Dear Union Square,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. It seems that the welcoming you got wasn't up to our high standard and I would like to apologize for this. Your review will be shared with the entire team and I hope you will consider coming back to la Samanna in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We spent the day at the resort, renting a cabana on the beach, stopping on a recent cruise. Didn't seem like they sell a lot of these for the price, given that the beach is already so beautiful, private, and remote, but I certainly wasn't about to pay for a room rate, just to use their beach when there are no shortage of amazing beaches on both sides of the Island. Truth be told, my little brother got engaged there and I wanted to show my kids and see myself. Breathtaking, Luxurious, Amazing. But Pricey. When my kids got cranky in the afternoon, they stood out amongst the mostly European crowd as obnoxious American kids. When your kids are older and can appreciate, I can't imagine a much nicer place to spend a long weekend, that also easy to get to......if you can afford.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark R
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Mark R,
Thank you for your review and I am very happy to read that you took the time to come to our beach cabanas even for such a short stop over during your cruise. So nice of you to come and see where your brother got engaged. I hope this brought lots of happiness in his couple and it would be wonderful to have them back.
Do you know that over 80% of our guests are American? As Belmond La Samanna is usually considered as a romantic get away, you must know that we have a great Kids Club for children up to 13 years old. We are looking forward to welcoming you and your brother back again in our small paradise.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

What an amazing experience!! Beautiful grounds, great staff, accommodations are awesome & the scenery is breathtaking! The private beach is for guest only, so not crowded, free chairs & umbrellas, plus beach service that allows you yo order food & drinks without ever leaving your spot, doesn't get any better! We will be staying here again, luxury at it's best!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Mark S,

Thank you so much for this great review! I count of you for spreading the word about our beautiful piece of Heaven and look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

With direct flights from NY this place is a no brainer. Stunning powerade blue, warm water. Delightful staff, facilities becoming dated but the beach is fantastic. Not sure about the plastic trampoline in the middle of the beach - kind of ruins the view.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon L

Dear Simon L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Belmond La Samanna. I am happy to read you enjoyed our beach and as for the facilities, I must tell you that we have been undergoing major renovations over the last 2 years and this is only the beginning. The trampoline is one of the favorite attraction of our guests and I must admit that its yellow color does make it quite noticeable. I thank you for your comment and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.