“"La Samanna Is Great"”
Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The concierge, service, cleaning, beach, food/drinks, fun for kids, overal is all great. In my opinion it's devinetly a 5-star hotel! We stayed in I10! The path to the beach and the tennis court is like a tropical rain forest! Food and Drinks was at best service, and during x-mas time they give presents to all of the guests!

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank quint879
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear quentinsoloviev,

Thank you for taking the time to write about La Samanna. I am so happy to read that all the departments that you come in contact with have been providing a great service, I will be sure to share that with the staff. And indeed, when Christmas comes around we like to spoil our guests. Hope to see you back this season.

There are newer reviews for Belmond La Samanna

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Once again we returned to La Samanna for our annual visit to St Martin. Our stay was almost perfect. We were greeted with a rum punch while we checked in. Our room was ready, and as we requested, in Building F. We like this building because it looks out on the infinity pool as well as the sea and is near the beach bar.

The only small disappointment to us was that one evening the beach bar was closed to those not attending a private birthday party. We enjoy watching the sunset with Romel or Jean and to miss one of these evenings is truly a disappointment as we only have seven opportunities each year. It seems that there should be some kind of accommodation for those of us who have paid for the use of all the facilities.

Otherwise, the entire stay was perfect. We found everyone with whom we came in contact to be very friendly and ready to assist.

The views are fabulous from almost anywhere in the resort. Be sure to reserve a package which includes breakfast. Also have a massage. A rental car is great to have for the daytime but we do prefer a cab at night.

La Samanna is expensive, but definitely the nicest place on the island, in our opinion. It is not a bustling resort, but a peaceful place where one can "re-boot". First timers we spoke with were amazed at the privacy afforded by La Samanna.

We wish the mixed drinks were not so pricey and that there was a regular coffee maker in our room.

We look forward to returning the same time, next year.

Dear sandman 9253,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us. While I am glad that it was almost perfect, I sincerely apologize that the beach bar was privatized one evening during your stay. We do always have the Baie Longue Bar and the Trellis terrace as a wonderful spot to enjoy the sunsets. I look forward to seeing you back next year for your "re-booting"!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We visited La Samanna as our villa was just a short distance away. We went to the terrace bar over looking the beach for sunset. The view was breath taking. there were lounges and beds to allow complete relaxation. The beach is nearly private with only a few villas in addition to the hotel. The staff from the guard at the gate to the front desk to the service staff was more than helpful. The waitress took us to a beautiful nearly private terrace when we could not find a seat in the bar. We had a 7 year old with us ,who was catered to including bringing her a small pizza. On
the beach they have private cabanas with butler service and champagne. For amazing quiet service in a private luxurious setting I can think of no better choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Carl J

Dear Carl J,

I hope next time you are on St. Martin you will choose to stay at Belmond La Samanna! It is always a pleasure to read that our slice of paradise has made a positive impression on those that even are not staying with us. I truly hope next time we can count you as in house guests so you can enjoy all the hotel and staff have to offer.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spectacular hotel on a beautiful beach! It looks just like the gorgeous pictures! We were greeted with a welcome coctail upon arrival and got to soak in the beauty of La Sammana. The staff was always attentive and sincere. We arrived early and after a delicious lunch in the lobby bar our room was ready early. We were celebrating our 20th anniversary and we were fortunate to have a room upgrade. In addition, we had champagne and fruits upon our arrival. Our room was beautiful (F17) and had a fantastic view of the water and infinity pool. We had a breakfast package included which was such a perfect way to start the day. Ketty and the other waitresses were wonderful. Concierge and staff were always helpful and friendly. The sports center was great. We did paddle boarding after a brief lesson. The beach is gorgeous and the loungers are wonderful. It is an expensive resort but it was a special treat to go to. St Marten is a beautiful island. I have been there at least 7 times and La Samanna is the best! We are dreaming of our next chance to return! We had a wonderful time as a couple but it would also be fantastic with our (well behaved!) children! :)

2  Thank RivieraMaria

Dear RivieraMaria,

We are already waiting for your next visit! Thank you so much for your kind review of Belmond La Samanna. I am so happy to read that you had a wonderful time with us. I will be sure to share your comments about the staff with the team,as these are always motivators for us. Hoping to see you back soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

You will feel like a celebrity from the moment they let you in through the front gates of this exclusive Villa. Felt more like an Estate or private Membership Club than a Hotel/Resort. Of course, this comes with a price. If it were cheap, everyone would be able to stay here. This is by far the most beautiful piece of property and beach on the island. Here are some tips/suggestions:

When to go: Book your trip in May. The weather is great, the crowds are gone and you will pay more than 1/2% off your room in low season. There may be some sporadic renovations going on but who cares? They do it discreetly and besides, you shouldn't be in your room...you should be on the Beach!!

My wife and I stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View Suite w/ King Bed and huge terrace. Don't be surprised if you see a Giant Roach, Lizard or mold on the bathroom tiles. This is a humid climate. What did bother us was when the several different housekeepers kept continuously reminding us that it was their last day working for the week before we checked out. Maybe the European guests are not big tippers? The room comes with a small fridge, few free coffee pods for the espresso machine. When those are done, you gotta cough up $4 a pop for a Joe. electricity is mostly 220v but they have at least one 110v outlet so you don't need to pack your converters coming from USA.

Be sure to rent a car for your entire stay. It's only 10 minutes to the airport but La Samanna is pretty isolated. Stock up on your supplies at the closest supermarket (Marigot or Maho) liquor, food, etc. We had croissants and sandwiches from Sarafina's Bakery about a 15 min drive away. Ate and drank all day on the beach, then splurged on a dinner in the eve.

The Beach: They advertise the beach as private, but it is not. You will soon find out why when you are using the complimentary water activity equipment and several Tour boats show up to ruin your quiet enjoyment. The property is private so the only way for a non guest to get to the beach is by sea and the tour operators are making a mint taxiing their patrons to this "exclusive" resort. They are loud, they blast their party boat music and occasionally swim to shore. They basically come to take photos of the resort because there is not much of a reef to snorkel, just a bunch of rocks and ordinary fish. So smile for the camera while you are scarfing down your $30 burger and $18 10oz drink! The paparazzi tour boats come in from 10 am-6:30 pm/sunset booze cruise. I counted 5 boats at once and total of around 14 throughout the day.

Guests include honeymoon couples, retirees, wall street types, staight/gay, and models. Although we saw a few families w/children, we wouldn't recommend you bring the kiddies along unless you are ok with them hanging poolside or beach side with topless, thong wearing cougars and cigar smoking moguls. Americans often get culture shocked here. Please remember European rules apply, nudity and smoking are tolerated and sometimes encouraged. Leave the kids at Grandma's and enjoy the Monaco type Atmosphere. You deserve it!

Trellis was good for dinner, but not great. Got the feeling the staff may be underpaid because no one was smiling or up to par with the dining etiquette. A little motivation and education will go a long way. A good pruning and tuning with the Sommelier & Chef will bring the service into parity with the great wine selection. Their crapiest wine is 90 pts so if you can't choose close your eyes an pick one. Be sure to take a ride up to Grand Case. THE best dining and service is found there. Some restaurants also take USD$ @ Same price of EUR. So your $$ goes a lot further.

This is the BEST place to stay and worth every penny. So save up your paper and book it!

5  Thank Iggy P

Dear IggyP,

Thank you very much for taking time to review your recent stay at Belmond La Samanna. Thank you for your comments regarding the restaurant and its staff, please be assured that I will share your comments with them as it helps us improve. I am glad to hear that this is the BEST place to stay, I must agree. We take great pride in providing a 5 star luxury experience to our guests, of which you were witness yourself we have a wide range of clientele. Regarding our prices on Food & Beverage, they are in line with our competitors in neighboring islands, I hope that you come back to visit us soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here just this past week in a suite on the ocean, only a short staircase away from what felt like a private beach as, although there were other guests at La Samanna, the atmosphere was subdued, lovely and quiet. This is not a commercialized noisy activity-laden conglomerate; its flowery landscaping and shady paths to the dining room, infinity pool, art gallery, fitness center and tennis courts (not to mention the boats to take out included in the hotel price) open up to these facilities in an unhurried and pleasantly organized fashion. There is also a spa where my husband and I both got massages (to convince my husband to get a massage after 12 years of marriage is proof of the spell this place puts on you to relax and enjoy the aesthetics and delights of this elegant yet understated place). I am admittedly a Francophone so the French influence to delight the senses with the layout of the grounds and the fantastic friendly customer service was a welcome home to me. La Samanna reminds me of Greece. The breakfast buffet is fantastic with omelets made to order and of course buttery croissants, breads and muffins, fresh fruit (including my favorite, mango) and choices of meats, cheeses and cereals. Their varieties of tea are wonderful; the only item that I didn't like and of course this is a personal choice is the coffee. J'adore the coffee I've had in France and I really like French Roast by Starbucks but that wasn't offered at La Samanna and I don't know if the taste of the coffee was due to a problem with local coffee crops that we heard about… Anyway, the staff was wonderful and the concierge was amazing; every recommendation was top of the line. YOU HAVE TO GO TO The Sand for dinner at Baie Nettle. What a super place, the ambience right on the water, outdoors, fresh fish (I had the razor clams, trigger fish and strawberry melba dessert!!) and the owner and Angelique are super customer service where you never feel rushed but they are there at just the precise moment to whisk away your used plate and offer a new surprise to the palate. We also enjoyed Le Tastevin at Grand Case for dinner for my birthday, the chocolate dessert was deliciously decadent! DEFINITELY will come back to St, Martin and La Samanna!

Room Tip: Our room had a roof deck so we enjoyed the full moon and stars canopy as well as the ocean since our...

Dear ElizabethYC,

I do not think I could have put it better myself, you were under La Samanna spell! It makes me very happy when I read a review such as yours. It pleases me to read that you found not only the physical aspect of the property to your liking, but that the staff and service was friendly helpful. I am sorry that you did not like the coffee we serve, perhaps next time you come shoot my Guest Relations Manager and email and let her know what your coffee preference is so we can have it in stock. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to our little slice of heaven.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I was looking for alternative caribbean Island to Barbados and discovered St.Maarten. I saw that the Belmond La Samanna seemed to meet all my criteria. The staff were very friendly and they all spoke English luckily, since I don't speak French or Dutch. The rooms were magnificent! They were large and comfortable and had a great view. The food was good, and the pool area was nice as well. The
Beach was one of the best I've ever seen in my life. This hotel blew away my expectation and I definitely will be coming again!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank MrGrimston

Dear MrGrimston,
I am so happy to hear that Belmond La Samanna met all your criteria and that you will be coming back! It pleases me to read that the hotel blew away your expectation. We look forward to welcoming you back year after year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!