“wish I was still there”

Mai Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ang Thong
“wish I was still there”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just got back from this hotel it is beautiful, it's clean, luxurious and a pleasure. The pools are great the staff are polite and the service is second to none. The Phillipino waiter Miguel was a great guy and nothing was too much trouble for him, he deserves a big thank you from his senior's for making us so welcome, another big thank you to the head chef, the food in the resort is excellent my only comment is it could be a little more varied. Chef always came to the table to check everything was ok with our meal and I feel she genuinely cared and took great pride in the food.
Now for the bad bits which are the only reasons I don't give it 5 stars.
The back of the hotel needs some sort of path leading around the pool as if your going out for dinner it's not great walking through sand in your best shoes.
Also it really needs some sort of entertainment, it's a little remote and i would have been happy staying in the resort every night had there been a band, I think this for a lot of the guests as it got much quieter in the resort in the evening.
Lastly the beach is very rocky so not great for swimming, the hotel has compensated by installing a small pier so not too bad, however, if you walk down the beach it is truly dirty, bottles, dead fish, just nasty, I think the island should seriously think about cleaning it up and sweeping the beach occasionally.
Overall we had the best time and this resort is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: I would go to the back if you want a quieter area, the swim up pool rooms are not my thing as you ca...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jo r
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Jo r

Warm Greeting from Mai Samui Beach Resort & Spa.

First of all, thank you for choosing our resort for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such a wonderful comments.

I am pleased to read that you were impressed with our level of service throughout the resort and that our team was able to attend to your every need to create your wonderful experience.

Thank you once again for staying with us also me and my team are looking forward to welcome you back again for your next holiday.

Yalyong Ongsanam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed in April and had a lovely time. The pools are amazing the service great and the staff excellent. It is in a very quiet place on the island and the perfect place to unwind. I did the carving lessons and loved it . The room was great and room service was excellent, our room was by the little pool and l loved it , We sprayed our rooms every time we left the room and that seemed to work. Looking forward to going back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Christine H
Dear Christine H

Warm Greeting from Mai Samui Beach Resort & Spa.

First of all, thank you very much for staying with us and thanks again to spending your time to give us the review.

It is great to read that you had a memorable holiday.
We all here are looking forward to welcoming you back here again for your next trip to Thailand.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

This is a really great resort with great service. The beach on the western side of the island is a bit too rocky for swimming, but they offer a complementary shuttle to the other side. The breakfast buffet is amazing!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Kasper W
Dear Kasper W

Warm Greeting from Mai Samui Beach Resort & Spa.

Thank you for your wonderful comment and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back here again soon.

Shanghai
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed there last week for 4 nights and enjoyed every moment ! The rooms are super comfy and big, with a beautiful balcony overlooking the pool. There are 2 big pools, once of them leads to the beach front. Nice location (thought a bit far away from many central places). The food at their restaurants was just OK, but the drinks at the bar, breakfast and the friendly service made our time there really pleasant

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Skykateswisa
Dear Skykateswisa

Warm Greeting from Mai Samui Beach Resort & Spa

Thank you for choosing our resort for your holiday and for taking the time to share such a wonderful comments.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I would like to start by saying this is definitely one of koh samui's best resorts. we stayed for 10 nights Jul 2014 and have to say the standard of the rooms very romantic and quite a statement, my only negative would be the bugs in the room, I feel the house keeping could be improved slightly as the re was only ever one girl cleaning the room, but she did a good job as she could, but maybe the hotel could have more house keeping the staff as this is something standard when we have had our room cleaned in other worldwide countries. But to be fair this is something very minor in the scheme. The hotel is maintained very well the facilities are great, swimming pool is well looked after and the food in the hotel was the best we had in koh samui, so we had our main meals at the hotel.

The beach is pretty but could do with some maintenance, as a morning sweep with make the beach one of the finest in koh samui. loved the GG's message on the beach it was the best massage we had in koh samui and is highly recommended.

We hired a car as the resort is a little drive from the main stretch but it is lovely because your away from the hussle of chaweng.

The hotel caterers for children really well, my daughter really enjoyed the mai samui and the staff are very friendly and always had a smile and welcomed us every day so well. It made our holiday feel special. We would like to also like to mention Mr Wan chai the hotel manager who was exceptionally accommodating and made our holiday so special.

Room Tip: Pool villas are amazing here
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Mefinn
Dear Mefinn

Warm Greeting from Mai Samui Beach Resort & Spa.

We will improve the service as you comment and will be keep the standard service.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed in mai samui resort for 3 nights in july 2nd week. It was wonderful and amazing experience. If you really want a nice hassle free time, plz go there. It is not in city center and that is what we like the most. Outdoor pool is huge and supereb. Cocktail in poolside bar is must. Break fast wide choice and good. Sala and thai restaurent both delicious food and reasonable. Staffs are professional and well mannered. Free city shuttle free bus are there. If this return pick up from city is little late like say 7 pm then guest can enjoy bit of city night life also. We really enjoy a lot and we will go back there for sure. Thanks.

Room Tip: Delux room with pool access
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Arnab B
Dear Arnab B

Warm Greeting from Mai Samui Beach Resort & Spa.

It is great to read that you had a memorable holiday.
We hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back again for your next trip to Koh Samui.

Mr. Yalyong Ongsanam
Petworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked the hotel and flights with Etihad as a package through Voyage Prive. It seemed very good value and I was not disappointed.
On arrival at Koh Samui airport, the smell of jasmine and other heavily scented flowers was overwhelming. The airport must be the cutest ever, with little electric train- type carriages collecting you from the aircraft and taking you to the arrivals hall and baggage claim.
The hotel had provided the transfers, which were in a comfy air conditioned 4x4.
After 23 hours travelling, and it being late we didn't take much in when shown to our room. All I really focused on was how huge the bed was and how I wanted to get in it!
The bed was so comfortable however that we didn't get up until about 3pm the following day, and then dressed and headed off in search of food.
We went to the Mai pub and restaurant where the food is all Thai and they make great American style cocktails. After a stunning and incredibly cheap meal of Phad Thai stuffed with prawns very filling and under £4) , we explored the resort. Well, it is beautiful. The thought that has gone into the buildings by the architects is amazing, with much use of wood. There are two pools, the lower pool nearer to the reception is shallower and ideal for children and families, whereas the enormous main pool is about 130cm deep and winds around the main restaurant, passing under three small footbridges, so you can do a few circuits each morning to keep fit! There are small islands in the pool that are planted up with palm trees and flowering shrubs, so it's all really lovely. The pool bar on the beach has a swim up area and happy hour is in fact Happy 5 hours, 1-6pm every day when cocktails are half price.
The room itself was very spacious, with the massive bed, good size closet and a safe. There was a sliding door to the bathroom and a walk in shower and a bath...on the balcony. It took me all of the first week so get up the courage to use the bath, as I was convinced that everyone in the restaurant must be able to see me getting in or out. We were on the second floor, and the first and ground floors have screened baths. Anyway, it was ok but took an age to fill as it was so big.
We had a few spa treatments, and they were all great. A Thai massage for two was included and was so different to any massages I have had before. After much stretching and bending, we felt quite invigorated. I also recommend the after sun massage which is good if you've over done it a bit, and best of all for me the anti- cellulite treatment. That was fantastic, and next year I want a course of treatments. I have been pummelled and vibrated by so- called anti- cellulite machines, but the masseuse' manual pummelling left my skin noticeably smoother after just one session.

The spa is cheaper than you will find at home, but probably a bit pricy compared to some places on the island. However, the whole experience and sense of calm and ritual is so very relaxing, places like Champneys could learn a thing or two.
The staff at the Mai Samui were lovely. I had a really bad cough and cold (caught on the plane!) and they left teapots of chopped fresh ginger in our room to make into tea, and we're really kind. A Special thank you to Captain Zar Zar who is bar far the most smiley person I have ever met, Peke who is just lovely too, and the nice man in the breakfast room who wrote down the names of Thai dishes that would help me get better.
Thank you to all the staff who are so polite and gracious. It is our intention to come back next year and bring our adult daughters.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are slightly more expensive, but have direct access to the pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
18 Thank debswestsussex
Dear DebwestSussex

Greetings from Mai Samui Beach Resort and Spa

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent holiday and for taking the time to share such wonderful comments.
I do really glad that our overall service and facilities make you have a great time and enjoyable along with a good memory with us.
I have already passed along your comments to Captain Zar Zar and Peke and their team as well as our entire team as it is feedback such as yours that provides added motivation for our team to deliver the highest standards of service.

Thanks you once again for staying with us and looking forward to welcome you back again soon.

Mr. Yalyong Ongsanam
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Sea Dance Resort
Sea Dance Resort
#6 of 186 in Bophut

Been to Mai Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!