“What a place for wedding!”

Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ang Thong
London, United Kingdom
“What a place for wedding!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

It was my first stay at a Four Seasons Hotel after keep hearing it from my rich relatives. I was impressed by the reception area and the view. The staff were exceptionally tentative and nothing was too much of a problem. We were gobsmacked by the villa and the provisions, the view over the bay was breath taking. Not accustomed to this level of luxury nor space in an hotel. We were determined to enjoy it while we were there. I loved the golf buggy rides on site, reminds me of the Prisoner - my number was 303. Breakfast was great and the view over the site was unbelievable. As we were there to celebrate my step daughter's wedding, there were a group of us there - family and friends. Four Seasons had pulled all the stops out to assist with the event. The actually ceremony went down a treat and to perfection. The after ceremony beach party and BBQ was just perfect with attentive staff on hand through out. We had the time of our lives at the Hotel and the wedding. Good job I didn't have to foot the bill. We are now trying to persuade the newly wed couple to going back every year to renew their vow!
The only gripe I have was that there should be another fridge inside, I didn't fancied going out in the middle of the night to get a cold drink with the heat outside!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank steveto710
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear steveto710:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Resort. I am so happy to read that your step daughter's wedding was as it should be, perfect.

Your suggestion about having another fridge inside the villa is greatly appreciated and I shall review it with the team. It is always from the feedback such as yours that enable us to improve the guest experience at our Resort.

Should any of you plan to return to Koh Samui, please do let me know. I will be delighted to assist with the arrangement.

Lubosh Barta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UAE
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Cant recomment this enough. Fabulous rooms, wonderful beach with just a perfect bar for watching the end of the day. Kids club was great with half on the beach and half of the day in the club. Gym has excellent views over the resort and the sea, equipment needs a refresh soon. Try the beach BBQ its excellent with a great exec chef (Alex). GM very good and knows his stuff. Try this resort its well worth the visit.

Room Tip: Maybe go for a room near the beach so save time on buggies
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Iain A
Dear lain A:

I am glad to learn that you enjoyed what our Resort had to offer and had a wonderful stay with us. I have also taken note of your comment on the gym facilities and pleased to inform you that the upgrade is scheduled for 2014 first quarter when the latest technologies released.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on TripAdvisor and advise us on the area that we can be better. I hope to see you back.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I'm a big fan of Fourseasons, but have heard FS is old, but it was NOT! when i first get there, i was so impress with 1st spot , check in area, the view is stunning. when i went to my pool villa, it was not old at all, still charming, very nice well function and decor. Breakfast is amazing, the view also superb. the beach , activities, the food at all the outlet is so super delicious. i only stay for 3 days but i never left the property, Fourseasons got so much to offer. i will definitely recommend anyone who is planning to visit Samui stay at Fourseasons, i think none of the hotel or resort can beat their service..

Room Tip: They all very good room in pool villa.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fabulousguru
Dear fabulousguru:

It is always a pleasure to read a wonderful review such as yours. Thank you for staying with us and making recommendation of our Resort here on TripAdvisor. We hope to have a pleasure of welcoming you back to Koh Samui again in the near future.

London
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Firstly and in summary, this is a great resort and I would absolutely recommend it both for families and couples. Now some details:

The villas - we stayed in a family villa (902) which is above the beach bar (no noise!) and although you have somewhat obstructed view of the ocean by the trees, it is extremely convenient for kids and going back and forth from the beach. The additional 'kids' room could easily accommodate two younger teenagers and it has it's own large TV with DVD but you all share one bathroom (albeit quite a large one). We did not use our plunge pool or outside area too much as it was just too hot and spent most of our time on the beach.

The beach - as beaches go, it is not a very large one! The end which is closer to the restaurant and bar is stacked tightly with loungers (much too close for my liking) but there is also a'quiet area' further away which has more natural shade and was usually not busy at all so we used it with our 4 year old daughter. The beach is actually ideal for smaller kids and toddlers as there is nice gradual decline which is perfect for splashing around. For adults and older children, if you want to have a proper swim, you have to go to the swimming platform (due to coral and rocks after about 3 feet of depth) which is about 200 yards away. Water sports and kayaks came in very handy, even with our 4 year old as you can go watching the sea life in the shallow waters and exploring small neighbouring beaches (still part of the property and good only for finding shelves). The pool on the beach is smallish for the size of the resort but nobody seemed to mind. One thing that I missed is a walk on the beach in the late afternoon as it was just too small (you can walk it in less then 5 min!)...

Kids Club - as it was, the club was up on the hill in a small room under the Gym and after a few visits and repeated activities, your kids are likely to get bored. However, during the morning, the kids club staff were trying to organising activities on the beach but there was very little promotion of it. However, the management told me that they are planning to build a new kids club this year, on one of the unused sides of the beach which I think would be ideal so watch this space.

Restaurants - the beach restaurant was great both in terms of the food, fantastic staff and the atmosphere. It was surprising to see that on many nights it was empty. The restaurant at the top, for me, had a bit less atmosphere but food was also good. We were full board as we travelled with a young child (so didn't want to go out for dinners) and it proved to be good value for money with unlimited choice.

Service- like in many places around the world, if you engage with staff even a little bit, they will respond well. In some parts of the resort, the service was outstanding (beach restaurant and beach overall) in others good but never below the expectations.

Outside activities - the elephant trek recommended and organised by the resort was good and my wife was even allowed to 'ride' the elephant as a mahout. You should also try local restaurants, at least for lunch... We went to a recommended one which was full of locals and whilst the decor was basic, the food was outstanding, fresh and very cheap...

Overall, the resort is everything you would expect from FS and is well managed with attentive and responsive management and with the planned improvements for the kids club, it is a great resort for families and couples. Thanks to for a great holiday!

Room Tip: If travelling with no more than 2 kids, take the family villa for good value and location
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank zendra
Dear zendra:

I am very happy to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time at our Resort. The team will be thrilled to know that they were able to deliver a great holiday for you and your family. Thank you for sharing your experiences while you were here with us in Koh Samui. I trust that our future visitors will find it very useful and encouraging.

Looking forward to seeing you back with us soon.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I am not one for super fancy hotels, however my husband wanted to splurge at the end of the trip and I am so happy he did!! The entrance was breathtaking!! the service was outstanding!! Our villa was on the side of the mountain with a 180 view of ocean and our own infinity pool! I usually do not eat at hotels; however the food was one of the best!! I cant wait to return!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sabrina s
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear sabrina s:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor, and for choosing to stay at our Resort at the end of your trip. I am very happy to hear that your stay was a wonderful experience.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Built into a hillside, you drive atop the hill to an un assuming entrance, however, a few steps further, when you start approaching the lobby… WOW!!! the most breathtaking views of the ocean sprawled in front of you.

Check in - we were escorted to the reception where we had to wait about 20 mins before someone attended to us as they were busy with another couple. Slightly annoying as we had arrived after an all night flight from India. Once that was done it was smooth sailing from the minute we arrived at our villa until we checked out.

Villas - Beautilly perched on stilts on in a terraced formation giving each villa unobstructed views of the sea. beautifully appointed in a luxurious fashion. the highlight was the shell shaped bath tub that overlooks the ocean. Can slide the doors open to make it an out door bathing experience or slide the huge glass doors shut if you'd rather.
The infinity lap pools gorgeous! Breakfast was served at the villa every morning.

It was my 40th birthday and we had a beautiful dinner on the Beach where the staff presented me with flowers and a card and released lanterns into the sky. It was spectacular!

Food- Was delicious. Especially the pad that and green curry in the in room dining!

Over all a memorable stay .would highly recommend it for people who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of Koh samui nightlife and retreat to a place of quiet and elegant luxury!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amberlicious
Dear Amberlicious:

I do sincerely apologize for the less than expected initial impression you experienced upon your arrival at our Resort. However, I am glad that this shortfall did not negatively impact your stay and you still enjoyed your time with us. It is especially rewarding to read that we were able to deliver wonderful memories on your special occasion like your 40th Birthday.

Thank you very much for your review and we hope to see you return.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I'm not a big fan of resort hotels. So the fact that my wife and I loved this one speaks volumes.

What to like:
The property sprawls over a tree and fern covered hillside, with the rooms having great views of the sea and the surrounding islands. You check in at the top of the resort - which creates a terrific first impression as you look out over the resort and the surrounding islands of the nearby national park. Our villa was on a prime spot on the beach. If you have any say in the matter, room 910 is the one to go for - it is the only true beach front room. The room came with its own decent size infinity pool and a deck with 4 sun loungers. The room itself was large - a king size comfortable bed, complete with a huge bath with a view of the sea, a separate inside (and outside) shower with a huge shower head, and a spacious changing/vanity area. The staff agreed with us on day one what time they would come to clean the room and what time they would do the turn down service. They kept to these times scrupulously, always polite, and bringing fresh fruit every day.
Breakfast is a huge buffet with something for all tastes - the sort of experience we have come to expect from top of the range hotels in asia. Breakfast is in the hotel's hilltop restaurant with great views over the surrounding sea and islands - and more importantly, a cool breeze.
We also ate dinner four times in the hotel. The beach BBQ on day one was far more than that. A series of food stations making food to order include one which put together truly memorable cerviches. Another produced terrificThai salads, another pad thai, another some sort of small wrap with all sorts of delicious fillings (owing more to Mexico than Thailand) - and so on. The distinguishing feature was the freshness.Twice we ate on a small beach which the hotel rather grandly calls Castaway - but which is a small strip of beach two dozen paces from the beach restaurant. But this strip of beach has a secluded feel, is candlelit, with nearby rocks picked out by floodlights. And there are just 8 or so tables. Although the food was not totally dissimilar to the big beach BBQ, it was different and it was better: the grilled fish was particularly good; and the watermelon gazpacho was terrific. The fourth time we ate in the hotel was for the Thai buffet. I've eaten Thai food in enough places to know good Thai food - and this was pretty good. A vast array of food ranging from salads to curries does not do too much good for the waistline. Mind you, I could have done without the slightly self-conscious Thai dancing (which anyway was partly hidden by the food stations).
Which brings me to the service. It was at all times friendly and eager to please. Perhaps the best proof is how they dealt with my wife's gluten intolerance. On the Thai buffet night, the chef took us round all of the food stations and explained what my wife could eat, as well as preparing a huge amount of food just for her - lots of different curries because, for example, some of the fish had been lightly coated in flour. There are lots of nice service touches when you are on the beach - bringing round iced water, complimentary snacks, etc.

What to be aware of:
i) The hilly nature of the property means that the walk from beach to room or from room to restaurant can be quite arduous. In the heat and humidity it is not everyone's cup of tea. There is a very reliable on call buggy service which we tended not to use...but some of the hills are a real effort given the climate
ii) The spa is outrageously and unreasonably expensive. One of the few things I'd say that the resort has got very wrong - even for a premium resort
iii) At low tide the foreshore and first few steps into the sea have a rather unpleasant gloopy feel underfoot - and there is a 50 to 100 metre reef (essentially a band of rocks and weed before the true tropical sea begins). The beach itself is quite a narrow strip, scrupulously maintained, with curiously dense sand - almost like a fine grit rather than yielding sand. Easy to walk on
iv) There's not a lot of water activity. The absence of noisy speedboats/water skiing pleased us, but may not suit everyone. There are some kayaks which most people use to go out to the nearby platform moored beyond the small inshore reef. And you can charter a cruiser to take you fishing or to the nearby marine park for some truly extortionate amount
v) The hotel is on a relatively remote tip of the island. Going anywhere seems to cost between 400 and 800 Baht by taxi. And the taxis arranged through the hotel may be convenient and can be charged to the room, but they are irritatingly and unnecessarily more expensive
vi) The gym is quite well equipped. But it is a bit too small and has too much equipment packed into it. And during the day, the air conditioning fights a losing battle with the sun
vii) The lavatories in the room do not have separate locking doors. May not suit everyone
viii) Koh Samui is a very heavily built on island, at least around the coast. It is not a remote, barely populated tropical paradise - but once in the resort you can forget that the other hotels exist
ix) Bophut Fisherman's village/night market is the tackiest, least authentic experience I have had in a long time. Do not go expecting a local experience
x) Breakfast is not included in the room rate. For some reason this annoys me! Given the price of the rooms, it should be
xi) Wine is incredibly expensive - but beer and cocktails are quite reasonable
xii) Late evening at the beach bar is very quiet and quite pleasant
xiii) If you are looking to eat off property, the nearby local restaurants are nothing to write home about, but we found the fresh fish and pad thai at Jun Hom, a beachside restaurant, to be fine - although in no way a hidden gem that you simply cannot miss. Far better - but really a Western experience rather than a Thai experience - was ZaZen. The choice here is Thai or western. Lovely atmosphere, beautifully designed and lit, the beachside terrace was a nice place to have dinner.
xiv) There are sandflies and mosquitoes - irritating but not overwhelmingly so

I would cheerfully return.

Room Tip: Room 910 is the real beach front room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank D j R
FSKohSamui, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear D j R:

Your kind comments that you made about our Resort and our dedicated team are truly appreciated. I am particularly pleased to learn that you found our services to be personalized and special.

I would also like to thank you for sharing with us the areas that we can be better, including our Spa and wine pricing as well as Fitness facility. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to assess how well we are meeting the expectation of our guests and where there is room for improvement. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

D j R, thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your experiences here on TripAdvisor. If I can help you plan your return, please do let me know.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ang Thong
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
#1 of 10 in Choeng Mon

Been to Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand? Share your experiences!