Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Passage Samui Villas & Resort(Ang Thong)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$109
Agoda.com
Mai Samui Resort & Spa(Ang Thong)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$91
US$21
US$20
US$32
US$28
Agoda.com
Baan Sijan Resort(Ang Thong)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$93
Agoda.com
Sam Cee Resort(Ang Thong)
US$19
US$270
US$207
Win Hotel(Ang Thong)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
1,478 results
All reviewspla plabuggy servicekoh samuibuggy driversprivate poolbeach staffin villa diningkids clubgolf buggiesonce in a lifetimesteep hillbreathtaking viewsour honeymoonmain restaurantbedroom villathai restaurantthe entire staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 February 2010

First, transit. In email they offered transfer from the airport for about 2550THB = 80USD. Transfer takes maybe 30 minutes. At the airport, there's a limousine desk where the going rate is 800THB. The vehicle was a clean new SUV with a polite helpful driver. At 10PM, the usual legion of pushy taxi drivers was nowhere to be seen. To return to the airport the hotel reception will book a taxi for 700 BHT.

Now the hotel. First of all, the the service was impeccable and faultless, the staff are friendly and helpful.

If you want space and seclusion this is great. Villas are scattered across a 300 ft hillside, reached via golf buggy (you call, wait five mines, and they drive), and are afforded privacy by the slope, the design, and the jungle. Villas are spacious, modern, clean, great sound system, ipod hookup, wireless internet, DVD, LCD TV, huge bathroom, designer bath with maybe enough room for two, powerful aircon, lots of light and glass, large deck, cool infinity pool, lavazza espresso machine.

But the villa was not quite top-notch luxury and probably not worth the 750 USD daily - the shower was not a rain-forest, there was no pillow menu, the minibar was outside on the deck by the pool with a separate key and a sticking door, the light switches were traditional and partly hidden, and one side window blind would leak early morning light. The sun would move behind the trees, so a limited time each morning to sunbathe.

Beach is cozy, nice, short, soft shallow sand, tiny lapping waves, good staff, restaurant and bar. Snorkeling was a big disappointment: Like so many places the coral been damaged over the years, so not much live coral and few fish. Some seaweed too. And occasional pieces of trash under water just offshore. At 1600 USD, day trip boat forup to six to the National marine park is one option, Another is a much cheaper group trip external to the hotel (I recall 70 USD).

Food was good. Breakfast was the clear winner at 1040THB for full buffet and eggs menu, 750THB for continental buffet. Wine is absurdly expensive mostly, but not completely, due to Thai taxes. A 10USD Australian wine, Rawson's Retreat, was 100USD on the dinner menu. Reasonably priced and excellent cocktails and beer. Dinner was delicious. One disappointment was the limited availability of authentic Thai food (which should be marketed as an attraction) at the hotel and elsewhere on the island.

So a good time. I've stayed in better places for less money elsewhere in the world.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Anterior
Reviewed 31 January 2010

The most fabulous hotel ever. Far from the centre of time ...but with a property like this you will not want to get out!

villas are divine ... food is fabulous ...
There was nothing wrong I could find with it ...

• Stayed: June 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I have skimmed some of the negative reviews of this hotel and I must say, I am shocked. At the time of our check in, my husband and I were so bowled over by the treatment we received and the unparalled view from the reception pavillion (there's really no adequate word to describe the wall-less, open air check in) that we asked to extend our stay. We were in a beach villa (room 903), and the room and the view were spectacular. Everything from the bed linens to the villa layout to the daily fresh fruit was impeccable. The service was unparalleled: 15 minutes before my scheduled spa appointment, a buggy showed up at our villa without my having to call for it. The staff made it clear that the guests were a priority and we did not want for anything. To the people complaining about the food prices, my only response is, "Come on: it's a luxury resort." I don't think the prices are any higher than one would expect at an Aman resort, a Peninsula, a Mandarin Oriental, or an Oriental Express. Does the food cost more than it would at a Holiday Inn? Yes. But this isn't a Holiday Inn. If you are looking for, and are willing to pay for, luxury: Stay Here. It's worth every penny.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travel_Snob78
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We had a nice time during our 5-day stay in the 4 Seasons on Koh Samui. The villas are beautifully decorated and have amazing views. However, nothing beats the view from the top, especially from the Lan Tania restaurant-this restaurant is the only spot in the resort that deserves a “Wow”: next to the views, the food is amazing and offers a lot of variety and the service is excellent (make sure you go to the Thailand food evening they run once a week and try the self-made mango jam over breakfast). However, the rest of the resort is nice but lacks the typical 4 Seasons “Wow-Effect”. Quite annoying is that the resort is hardly walkable and transport by buggy is not always readily and takes a lot of the atmosphere away. Also, staff is friendly but misses to provide the typical exceptional 4 Seasons service. Partially, the resort appeared under-staffed. Overall we had a nice time there but think the price we paid was too ambitious for it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2010

It's been a while since we stayed there, and I've been meaning to post a review. Nothing went right on this trip. We should have known from some of the negative reviews on this site. In fact, we called ahead to put them on notice about what we were reading. We were silly to think this would help. It was probably a language issue. The staff’s English was very poor, but they certainly knew how to say “certainly.”

The resort showed promise when we arrived. Despite an awkward greeting, they threw one of the best hotel parties we’ve ever been to for New Year’s. It was like a wedding with the hotel guests assigned to random tables. They had a great spread, a fantastic band, and an impressive fire works display. We had a ball.

The biggest problem with the property is that the entire resort faces North. This means your villa has water views but gets no sun. Your private villa pool is unheated and therefore frigid (again, no sun), forcing you to the general beach area, which also faces North. The beach gets some sun, but you have to turn your chair away from the water to get any. The pool is too small for the number of guests, and there were not enough chairs. The beach was also covered with seaweed day and night. And I mean covered. There were armies of women raking the seaweed away all day. This took away from the overall feel, and certainly the available lounging space.

The food was our biggest issue. Foolishly, I had beef carpaccio one night and got terribly sick. I should have known better, but the Four Seasons brand lulled me into a false sense of security. The hotel was extremely unsympathetic. First they accused me of not actually being sick, but I later left enough evidence for the cleaning staff to prove otherwise. Then the manager suggested I ate something outside the hotel since no one else who ate the beef got sick. What a jerk. I think his name was Alex. Even before getting sick, the food was mediocre at best and way over priced.

We were also unlucky with the weather. We stayed a week and only got 2 days of sunshine. The resort was totally unprepared for rain. There was literally nothing to do. No board games, no organized activities. Nothing. Wait, that’s not entirely true. They did put on a concert one day, where someone played bowls. He squeezed music out of all types of bowls: glass, ceramic, you name it. It was one of those situations where everyone wanted to leave, but no one wanted to be rude. To be fair, they did have a decent movie collection and a good TV system in the room.

It looks like the reviews are more positive than when the resort first opened. So hopefully they fixed some of these issues. Even still, I doubt the resort now faces South.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple