“Great location!”

Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Paynes Bay
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We had a great stay at the Tamarind, it's not perfect and may not suit everyone but it is in a great location and is clean and comfortable. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a one bedroom suite which was very spacious and had a great view overlooking the Rilaks pool and onto the ocean.

The hotel was full of couples and families with young kids last week, very much a family hotel. Breakfast was good although too many birds flying around made it a little uncomfortable. We had a problem with no water on our last day, this was handled well and we were moved rooms with no fuss.

We would recommend and stay again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the busy road that runs along the back of the hotel. Ocean front rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jawoodall75
Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Just returned from an 18 day stay at the Tamarind. There were 17 of us at one point and the hotel catered wonderfully for us all from the beautiful private beach, the pools, the views, the entertainment, the fabulous food and the generosity of spirit and kindness of all the excellent staff. We had a fantastic time at this beautiful, spotless, haven! The concierge services were fully utilised and we regularly took the 5 minute bus ride into Holetown for shopping etc. Restaurants and places of interest all within very close proximity to the Tamarind. A family holiday full of all the choices one would expect from a top of the range resort. Thank you Tamarind &Thank you beautiful Barbados - breathtaking!

Room Tip: The views from all rooms are fantastic whether pool/garden or beachfront
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Chrissy S
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I just flew in yesterday from this fabulous resort. Do not hesitate to book this. Keep in mind its on the more quiet end of the island but that's what we wanted. If you want hopping nightlife go to St. Lawrence Gap and stay there. The Tamarind is pristine, its constantly being kept up with paint and every day they wash every floor, hallway, pool deck etc. The Wed night Caribbean Buffet is delicious. The sunsets are to die for. Every night they have a different performer as you dine al fresco by the main pool and right above the beach. Everyone is extremely friendly and very willing to accomodate you. If you want to book an activity there is a concierge who is adorable that will assist you during the day but at night she's not there so you are on your own. The pools are very clean and have comfortable temperatures. The ocean swimming is superior as well. Extremely clear and its roped off from the incoming water sports. If you collect sea glass there is TONS of it on the beach. Very smooth and beautiful colors. Of note: All of the catamarand tours collect just north of your beach. That is where the sea turtles are. You could swim out to them and get the same benefit but its fun to sail. Our room was always made up by around 2:30 and at night they come and give you water and turn down the beds. It was a birthday celebration for me. The staff caught wind of that and surprized me with a breakfast delight one morning with a candle and tasty chilled wine later on in the day. Great folks. A definate must if you are looking for a quiet intimate couple experience.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean Front on the first floor on the South end we had Room 131 and it was perfect.
3  Thank traveladvisor190
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My sister and I (both in our 60's) just returned from a 5 day stay at the Tamarind. I chose this hotel because of the overall good reviews on tripadvisor. We can't wait to return one day! Thank you so much to everyone at Tamarind for making our stay a 10 out of 10!
Our rooms (125 and 126) were spotless, the beds very comfortable and there was lots of space. We loved the breakfasts....oh my so many choices! I really liked the Tamarind Bread and fruit compote plus having all the lovely fresh fruit cut up was epecially nice. The coffee (which arrived within 3 minutes of us sitting down) was always hot and it was never a problem if we asked for more.
Thank you to Jane for the upgrade and to Tamilla for organizing one of the activities on our wish list (glass bottom boat with Westwater Adventures Inc.). She also helped me get to Harrison Caves...another item on my wish list.
I loved the pool by our rooms and had it to myself every evening while I enjoyed the stars, moon, and whistling frogs.
One day my sister ran out of Kleenex, called housekeeping, and within 3 minutes the housekeeper had brought her two fresh boxes. That's service!
There was never a problem getting a "lounger" and I understand that at some hotels they are in short supply. The beach is gorgeous. I always thought they touched up the colour on those postcards from the Carribean until I saw the lovely blue water for myself.
Thank you to everyone at Tamarind for "doing it right"!

Room Tip: 125 and 126 are fairly quiet (except at night when there is a live band but they seem to stop playin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Beth O
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Great hotel, great staff. Arden, Cassandra and randy at pool bar were really helpful and became like friends. All the staff we came in contact with were great. The people of barbados are so friendly. Would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paul K
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at the Tamarind - our second visit to Barbados - and we stayed at the Colony Club then. So here we go - the staff were great and very friendly, apart from the housekeeping crew. Twice, we returned to our room after 4pm and our room had not been serviced. Who wants to sit out on their balcony to enjoy the sunset with a drink, only to be asked to move so the maid can sweep? This is not on on a four star hotel and on one occassion, my husband felt, though perhaps not intended, that he was just plain in the way. Our room was nice and the bed extremely comfortable so no complaints there. However, we were aware we had a nice room with wooden french doors, unlike some rooms who had 1970,s steel sliding doors which looked pretty shabby. We were also lucky that the location of ours managed to get the afternoon and evening sun - room 242 - but some looked as if they were permanently in the shade.

The restaurants and food were very good - we dined once in the hotel restaurant and it was excellent. Far better than our meal in Daphnes - the restaurant affiliated with the Tamarind and the House - very very average and not good value for money.

The bar staff were great and friendly .

I agree with other reviews - the pools are just too small for the complex and don,t get me wrong here - I have kids - but if you want a quiet break - don,t come during school holidays or mid term as the pool areas are a nightmare and the kids club is too big.

I also agree that overall, the place is a bit shabby - could really benefit from a lick of paint to take it into a better class of hotel.

Two big plusses though are the Spa staff - especially the young masseur who gave me a wonderful back massage to reduce the chronic back pain I have - he was professional and extremely good - highly recommend. The other staff are the guys on the beach who organise all the watersports - great team. Also can recommned Tony who operates from the same beach and Brian - he will take you out on a Hobie for 2 hours to swim with the turtles - great morning or afternoon activity.

So all in all - would I stay here again - really not sure. If they did the place up a bit and perhaps even had a month child free - then yes. Otherwise, for us, it did leave us with a feeling of it being a tad expensive for what it delivered.

Room Tip: Ask for room near the Rilaks pool as it is away from main hub if you want a bit of p n q.
4  Thank choosycatEdinburgh
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed at Tamarind Feb 10 for 5 nights. The rooms are nice, beach great, weather perfect. All in all a great stay. However, when getting dressed to return to 30 degrees and snow in New York, I could not find my shoes. We asked housekeeping, no sign of them so I had to arrive back in sandals and freezing feet! My husband was also missing a new sweater of his. Hate to accuse anyone but it was odd! Still, we loved Barbados!

2  Thank stuben
Hilton Barbados Resort
Hilton Barbados Resort
#1 of 6 in Bridgetown
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hot...
#3 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#6 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Tamarind by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!