Stayed at the Tamarind for a week in May. Third visit to Barbados having previously stayed at Crystal Cove. Tamarind compared favourably, having in my opinion, a better beachfront and location.
We were upgraded to a 3rd floor Junior Suite with sea views. Beautiful outlook towards the Carribbean Sea and a very spacious room with comfortable bed. Lots of storage space, only area lacking was the bathroom which felt dated and stuffy. Our room was cleaned well throughout our stay, only minor complaint being that the turn down service arrived at 7pm like clockwork every evening. This was too early for us and although the maids were happy to come back later, it would have been nice not to be disturbed whilst getting ready for dinner every night. Note there are no 'do not disturb' signs for the rooms.
Bar area was spacious with plenty of tables, service was good although typically laid back. Drinks selection excellent with premium brand spirits available.
The breakfast room was excellent, no queueing for tables or buffet. Plenty of breakfast options with changes to a few items every day in order to keep it interesting. Eggs cooked to order and fresh tea/coffee arriving soon after you were seated
The main restaurant was adequate. Lunches were nice if a little boring after a while. We ate at the hotel restaurant once during our stay which was nice, but we preferred venturing out of an evening and our B&B booking allowed us to do so.
There are 3 small pools at Tamarind, 1 is adults only and within the spa area. The pools are clean and kept at a nice temperature throughout the day. We chose the beach over the pools but those otherwise inclined will find the beds and pool bars more than comfortable.
The beach was the main plus point for me. The beach is long and stunning, plenty of sun loungers that were very comfortable, there were empty seats on the beach throughout the day. The sea was calm but the sea bed quite rocky as you enter. You soon learn a path to take in order not to stub your toes! Once in, the carribbean sea is hard to beat. There are lots of beach sellers walking daily some more persistant than others. A polite 'no thank you' was more than sufficient.
Outside the hotel are a few restaurants and bars within walking distance. You are next door to Daphne's and can walk through the hotel or down the beach to this restaurant. You have Scarlets almost opposite and the Cliff is within a 15 minute walk south.
Holetown is a bus/cab ride away but definitely worth exploring of an evening.
So anything to be cautious of? The staff were friendly but a little cold, we found we were served without any conversation made. I didn't fall in love with the hotel. It was a comfortable base and nothing more. There seemed no soul. I'd return only if we got a very good rate and only then because the beach was so lovely.
A solid 4 star hotel with none of the wow factor to push it to a 5.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tamarind rests on a 750-foot crescent of premium West Coast white sand beach and is as family-friendly as it is an exclusive adult hideaway. Tamarind features contemporary guestrooms, an intimate spa and relaxation space and two restaurants. Contemporary sun loungers, day beds and decks, transform outdoor spaces into outdoor 'living rooms' providing flexible spaces for dining, drinking, relaxing and events. Complimentary features include: motorized and non-motorized watersports, daily buffet breakfast, WiFi in rooms and throughout property, fitness center and classes and water taxi to other Elegant Hotels' west coast properties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Destinology, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Southall Travel, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Travelbag, Hotels.com, TravelUp and Evoline ltd so you can book your Tamarind by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind By Elegant Hotel Paynes Bay
- Tamarind Cove Saint James
- Tamarind Cove Barbados
- Hotel Tamarind Cove
- Tamarind By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Paynes Bay