“Better and better”

Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Paynes Bay
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Tamarind just gets better. Each year, there are a few niggles, but the great thing about the management is that they listen to them and improve year on year. This was our 3rd visit to Tamarind and 9th Barbados trip and we're already looking at booking again next year.

Our room this time was just amazing. Sea view, very spacious, more storage space than any other room I've been in, great balcony, super-efficient air con. An extra bonus this time was a small plunge pool right outside the door which feeds into the spa pool below... very handy on those really hot evenings.

Last time I reported about the limitations of the lunch menu. This has been re-vamped and extended. The quality is much better than before. One day I had the tuna nicoise which was superb. All menu items are reasonably priced. The bar staff get better and better each year. This time I tried a few concoctions recommended by the brilliant Arden. Whatever they're paying him, it can't be enough. I have now perfected his vodka, tomato, mango, chilli cocktail which is a daily routine for me now. It does get busy at the Relacks bar at happy hour when there's only one member of staff on so sometimes there is quite a wait, so this perhaps needs attention.

Tiffany, the concierge is excellent. She is very happy to ring round restaurants and sorted us out each night. This is far easier and cheaper than doing it yourself. Let me explain... There is a phone and telephone directory in the room. It is easy enough to ring the restaurants and make reservations as I did last year, since I felt a bit guilty asking Tiffany to make my phone calls for me when I could easily do it. However, the in room phones are billed to the guest per call and I ended up with a hefty phone bill. Inexplicably, if you use the guest phone in the hotel lobby, there is no charge. Sometimes, this year, I had to phone the restaurant Tiffany had very efficiently booked to confirm the booking. This involved a trip to the lobby to make that phone call. This is an inconvenience that could be avoided by making local calls free from guest rooms.

Beach staff are brilliant too. Special mention must go to Tito and Melissa who always take time out to chat to guests and both are hilarious but very efficient and exceptionally hard working.

The restaurant has moved up a notch. Last time I reported quite a lot of repetition in the breakfast menu and some long queues at certain times. This time, there was a better rotation of breakfast items but it's not quite right yet. Eggs benedict appeared twice and flying fish twice in a two week stay. EB is my all time favourite so some nice hollandaise would have been good to go with them. Also while I know it's expensive, some smoked salmon a couple of days wouldn't have gone amiss. It was available one year. This is probably the victim of budget cuts though. However, queues are no more. Sherissa is ultra-efficient and makes sure everybody is seated promptly. The coffee is OK, but no more than that. However, we've been spoilt a bit in Europe over the past few years with the rising bar in the quality of the coffee. I was in NYC recently and noticed how poor the coffee was there, compared to Europe.

Some urgent work had to be done to some admin offices which was handled very professionally by the maintenance team. It was obvious that some heavy construction work was underway. The area was screened off and the management made every effort to ensure guests were unaffected. One of the builders put his drill through our water feed which cut off our supply. The management quickly put this right so we weren't inconvenienced. I think Kym, the manager was on vacation, but it is testament to the excellent staff that despite her absence, the place ran like clockwork

Perhaps the next big thing to improve in rooms is the shower. At the moment, they are mixer showers, not thermostatically controlled which involves a lot of guess work and the occasional cold shower when you can't be bothered or are too drunk (thanks Arden) to get the temperature right.

Overall though, I can't recommend Tamarind enough. It is a home from home for us and, in all the two weeks we were there, I can honestly say nobody had a bad word to say about it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RobbyJBridlington

Reviewed 20 August 2014

My wife and I have just returned having experienced a magical holiday. The service was exceptional, the staff were so friendly WE FELT LIKE FAMILY !! A perfect central base to discover the delights of the west coast with a safe environment and with outstanding free water sports facilities. The restaurant and bar staff couldn't do enough for us and even the chambermaids asked us if we were happy with the standard of the rooms every day. We cannot fault the place and will definitely return again next year. All this was further enhanced by the welcome we received and the farewells after the event. This was a first honeymoon and 40th birthday celebration we will never forget thank you to everyone. John and Jo xx

Room Tip: rooms 101 201 301 are the best
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lancsmaninyorkshire
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Six friends and I booked 4 rooms at the Tamarind Cove Hotel to serve as "home base" while immersing ourselves in the sights, sounds, and activities that is Barbados during Crop Over. Prior to arriving we already had planned to be away from the hotel for most of the days, and well into the nights, so imagine our surprise and delight that we seldom wanted to leave the hotel premises!
Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly front desk staff and our choice of freshly made cocktails (I HIGHLY recommend the Tamarind Punch!) Hotel and island practices were explained in detail as we were treated to the opportunity to sit down and relax during check-in, a treat after our long travels. This greeting let us know that we could expect to be pampered the entire trip and we were! The front and bell desks were quick to provide drivers, recommend restaurants and activities, and even asked about our adventures upon our return to the hotel. The cleaning crew was prompt and accommodating to our highly erratic schedule and I never spotted one grain of sand inside the hotel, which should be impossible as the beach was 10 feet beyond the back of the hotel! I feel asleep on a lounger one afternoon and was offered a drink by an attentive waiter mere MOMENTS after I woke. The hotel staff was superior in every way.
I'm sure we've all experienced the bait and switch tactic hotels use of only posting pictures of their largest and most expensive rooms. As such, the guest rooms were a pleasant surprise in that they actually represented the splendid pictures posted on the hotel's website. They were tastefully appointed, the bedding, linen and robes/slippers were first rate and the rooms were more than spacious enough for two people, even if the beds were twin sized. Queen bed rooms are also available for couples. Coffee service, a miniature fridge and turndown service was included and a microwave was delivered upon request.
We started each morning at the hotels breakfast buffet located in the 'Oak Room', which is included with each reservation and the food was delicious even if the service left something to be desired. I found the greeter, waitresses, and chefs to be very pleasant if a tad short-handed but the breakfast manager was not very hospitable especially since Crop Over activities often began/ended at odd hours. When attempting to take a glass of OJ and two danish up to our room as we arrived back at the hotel after Foreday Morning (which ran from 10pm to 7am) I was denied, rather rudely, and told to order room service, which would take 45 minutes! I knew we would be asleep by then and was left with no option but to buy gas station donuts from across the street. I understand rules are in place to ensure all are accommodated but when dealing with such a traditional Bajan holiday, I feel an exception was not unreasonable request.
Unfortunately, I ALWAYS received rude and dismissive service at the '246 Bar' attached to the Oak Room. The hotel does not have an ice or drink machine so guests have no other recourse but to go down to the 246 Bar for both. Each of the (at least) five times I went down with my ice bucket, I was clearly ignored while "paying" drinkers were served expensive alcoholic drinks, sometimes two and three times! This left a very bad taste in my mouth and I have promised myself not to use the bar for any reason on future trips, and instead go off site to patronize a local 'watering hole'.
With the exception of these two hiccups, the Tamarind Cove Hotel was an excellent stay and a PHENOMENAL place to serve as home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Minervaqueen
Reviewed 14 August 2014

For once my entire family (me, hubby, and daughters 10, 6 and 3) are all in agreement! This was universally agreed upon as the best ever family holiday. Excellent personal service, clean, safe, friendly, amazing facilities (watersports, kids club, restaurants etc). I just can't fault it. We stayed for 2 weeks and we left promising ourselves that we'd return soon. The girls all loved the kids club (a first for our family) and want me to mention Pomello, Shawndelle and Sheena - apparently the most fun grown ups ever!

Room Tip: No lifts so if you have a pushchair request a ground floor room/suite - not third floor like us! Sea...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Wow, first off I must say this trip was simply amazing. I had a beautiful 6 day stay at the Tamarind Hotel for Barbados Crop Over festival. The staff was very pleasant, informative and helpful. Me and my friend stayed in a suite with a balcony that had the ocean view. Very clean room, nice and chilled seeing how it is very hot in Barbados. Bathroom was also very clean and neat. Room service came at least 3 times a day to turn down sheets and to clean the rooms and bathroom keeping everything tidy. The hotel is located right off of Payne's Bay; very relaxing and peaceful not to mention gorgeous! Breakfast buffet is available in the morning, dinning at night with live music. There are 3 pools to enjoy a dip in, 2 bars, fitness room, swimsuit shop, beauty salon, gift shop, a business center, a recreational room for children amongst many other accommodations at the Tamarind. I would stay here again without a doubt. Already booking my stay for next year.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank courtneyp438
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have recently returned from our stay at the fabulous Tamarind hotel in Barbados. Being July there was a bit of rain most days but in general the weather was amazing. The location of the Tamarind hotel is great - right on the beach (about 1km walk along the beach to the famous Sandy Lane Hotel) with a choice of 3 swimming pools (1 adult-only). There were always plenty of sunbeds either around the pools or on the beach. Choice of 2 pool bars, plus snack bar and restaurants. The service level was great - very friendly staff throughout the hotel.
The hotel is ideal for families with kids of all ages - ours are 8yrs and 5yrs so they enjoyed the kids club (very well-equipped and air-conditioned with a great timetable of activities). The complimentary water sports are perfect for older kids and adults (although ours did enjoy the giant doughnuts and banana boat!!)
The layout of the hotel was perfect -only 3 floors high so no lift. We had an Ocean View Junior Suite that was extremely spacious - king bed, double sofa bed plus an extra single bed and plenty of floor space left. The standard of the room and equipment what you would expect from a 4* hotel.
We had a wedding anniversary and my daughters birthday whilst on holiday and the arrangements prior and during were simple - staff were attentive and efficient.
I cannot rate this hotel and Barbados highly enough - we will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Rooms near the Rilaks pool are better for families as further from evening entertainment (however th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mel M
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have just returned from a fantastic 14 night stay at Tamarind. 18/7 - 02/08.
We would recommend this hotel for all types of guests.

If you are looking for a quiet chilled relaxing holiday, then this is the place.

If you have children, then this hotel went out of its way to cater for all age groups. The water sports team were so engaged with helping the youngsters to learn to scuba dive / waterski etc.

The sea is a pure clear waveless joy to swim or just walk in, the stones in the first 6 ft or so can be a bit tiresome, but after that just pure heaven to be in.

From the Operations Manager ( Antonia ), right down to the gardners, I cannot fault the attitude of the staff.
Politeness is to say the least a joy to behold, every member of staff made you feel welcome and couldn't do enough to help.

We opted for bed and breakfast, as we didn't want to commit to eating at the hotel every night.

The A La Carte menu was superb, the quality of food was faultless, a bit slow at times for service, but always piping hot and well presented.
The menu was a bit repetitive , but lots of choice.

Breakfast choice was plentiful, full English was easily consumed !!, for a healthier option, the continental and fruit options were fresh and well presented.

We had room 232, an ocean front room, virtually on top of the beach, no restricted views, well presented with a nice spacious wet room style shower.

We have already re booked for 2015, this holiday was just what was needed to unwind and relax.

If you want a more energetic holiday, this is purely down to your choice, the facilities are there if you so desire.

We visited the Colony Club hotel, but it wasn't for us, glad to return to Tamarind, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

If you love to sit on the sand with a bottle of wine and watch the most glorious sunset, then this is the place for you.

Only one fault ........ The 14 nights went too quick.

It's a shame not to be able to recommend lots of staff for a special mention, all were so helpful, but our vote goes to Patrick ...... He's out at 6am putting out the beds / umbrellas / tables, .... He is so obliging and friendly, .... If your into cricket, then he's your man ...... Thanks Patrick, great job done.

Room Tip: Ocean front - 232 is perfect for view of sea / sunset.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
#7 of 26 in Saint James Parish
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Tamarind by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!