“Great Place”
Review of The St James

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paynes Bay
The St James
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Paynes Bay
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I spent a week in January here with my girlfriend and we both loved the place. We had the smallest and cheapest room on offer (room 9) but we still found it very charming, clean and comfortable. We took a peak at some of the other rooms and they would compare to most 4-5 star hotel rooms that I've stayed in in the US or UK. The wow-factor has to be it's proximity to the beach, as you can see from the photos you literally walk out of your room and you're on the beach. The staff were lovely, (particularly our maid Javine!) and when we asked where to buy snorkel gear to see the turtles one of the guys Matthew gave us some for free.

A great alternative to the hotels, most of which are all-inclusive, if, like us, you'd like to explore the island by day and try all the different restaurants that it has to offer in the evenings.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank James F

Reviewed 28 November 2012

We spent a week of our honeymoon here and I was on pins and needles waiting to move to Oceans 2 Resort! The property is extremely noisy, the towels are thin and threadbare. I dry my animals at the back door of my home with towels far superior in quality to what they offer guests as the St. James. No wash cloths, no soft sheets, no peace, the property is extremely noisy with a group of young and noisy Bardians living in a small alley next to The St. James. The police visited the noisy group twice in our one week stay. The cruise ships drop people off each day to swim with the sea turtles on the stunning, crowded, noisy beach. Trying to sleep is like sleeping on a freeway. It was not clean to my standards by any stretch of the imagination. I bought gloves and disinfected and cleaned door handles, the inside of the refrigerator, bathroom etc. I could not sleep or relax the entire week. The staff are charming but the hotel was not a good experience for my husband or myself and we travel a couple months each year. I would not recommend The St James and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank missyme1016
StJamesBarbados, Public Relations Manager at The St James, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Hello Missyme1016,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn't up to your expectations. I apologize on behalf of the noise and the "pins and needles" you felt during your stay here.

I would love to make it up to you and your husband by offering you a studio ocean front room which shares no borders with the neighbors and has no windows giving onto the road, i'm sure this room would fit you perfectly and i'm sure at the time it would have been offered to you if it wasn't already taken.

I am deeply regretful to hear that our linens and towels don't compare to the ones you wash your "animals" with at home, but thank you for this as i will make a note of these issues and deal with them right away so that this doesn't happen again.

Allow me to say that this is the first time we have had such complaints at The St James and i do not take them lightly. I can appreciate your honesty but respectfully i can't say the same for the tone portrayed in this review.

Thank you MissyMe1016 i wish you and your husband safe travels and all the best in your future endeavors.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

I have just returned from my stay at the St James and let me tell you this place is a slice of paradise! First of all the rooms were huge and had everything one would need: wifi, satelite TV, fully equipped kitchen and balconies that face the ocean which make for a spectacular sunset.
The staff were very friendly and made my stay extremely relaxing. Every morning my clothes would be washed and folded, and by the time i got back to my room after having a swim everything was spick and span.
On the beach you have locals offering you water activities if you want to get active, or if you rather just sit out and tan then you have your own private area with long beds and umbrellas.
I would recommend this hotel to families with toddlers, couples and solo travelers.
I would like to thank the ST James for giving me an upgrade at no extra cost and making my overall stay a positive one!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jean Christophe P
Reviewed 8 November 2012

What a fantastic place to stay.The apartments are light and airy with great balconies looking out to the sea.All the staff are really helpful,welcoming and friendly and are always on hand to help you find your way around Barbados.The bus stops just outside the hotel for access to Holetown for the supermarket,bars ,restaurants or for last minute groceries there is the garage further up the road (walking distance).The hotels location directly on the beach is one of the best ,just a couple of steps out of your room and you are on a superb beach.!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JD2604
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Have stayed a few times. Great beach front location , good quality accommodation - we paid for the sea view - well worth it for the beautiful sun sets. Beach a little busy but there is a private reserved area.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tripadviser02890
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I was reluctant to write this review as I don't want too many people knowing about these wonderful apartments!! we have stayed on two ocassions and it continues to be delightful. It is immaculately clean and in an excellent location just along from Sandy Lane. Many good restaurants are within easy walking distance. The local bus is right outside the door and can take you straight to Bridgetown or Oistins. The wonderful and helpful Cecile is always available to help if required. Very highly recommended and we will be back. The only slight criticism outwith the control of the apartments is the daily arrival of the pirate ship to visit the turtles. This can cause some noise but ok if you like reggae music!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anne4045
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We have stayed at the St. James twice already, it is a great place! we really enjoy the proximity to the beach and to all the great restaurants in the area. The rooms are always clean and the staff is very friendly, specially Cecile who is always very kind and helpful to us.
We love Barbados and are planning to go back in the near future.
The only downside is that it might get a little noisy during the day and it might be hard to nap in front of the beach....but, we are happy to make a sacrifice or two in paradise!

Room Tip: beach front are the way to go