“Lisa N "A beautiful hotel"”
Review of The St James

The St James
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Paynes Bay
Arlington, Virginia
“Lisa N "A beautiful hotel"”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in the lovely ocean front room for a week. Upon arrival we were greeted by Carsen, the security/maintenance man, who gave us our key and showed us to the room. He was very friendly and if we needed anything he would gladly help. The ocean front room was beautiful and very large. I could just step out on to the porch and watch the beach from there or walk a few steps and lay out on the hotel's cushioned beach chairs. The room included a living room, kitchen and bedroom with a cleaning lady that came everyday. I enjoyed the hotel for its boutique feel and quiet surroundings, other than the morning traffic because the hotel is on a main road. The manager of the hotel is a very nice lady who assisted us with any of our needs while staying. I would definitely go back to the this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have stayed at the St James 3 times now and I shall be heading back very soon. The location is perfect with an amazing beach on one side and bustling St James parish on the other. Plenty to see and do in the area but most of the time I simply relax on the beach. It is a small aparthotel so the staff get to know you well during the stay and they are all extremely helpful and friendly. The area is safe and just a short bus ride or gentle stroll from Holetown. I love the decor of the apartments and the size of each room is amazing! I hate small hotel bedrooms so this is perfect and not at all claustrophobic.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Delaware
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Just back from a week-long Spring Break--grown up style--to The St. James. Again I was assigned to room 7--an efficiency unit on the third floor that provides amazing views and access to one of Barbados' nicest beaches.

My stay was further enhanced by the warm welcome as Jennifer (the St. James' amazing manager) and the attentive staff (especially Carson and Annette) welcomed me back. All gave me the "space" to enjoy my vacation while providing the comfort of knowing they were always available and accessible.

I look forward to returning in early August for another glorious week. Without question, the St. James has become my "go to" place on Barbados' "platinum" west coast.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TheBajanQueen
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was a fabulous apartment on an equally fabulous beach. Everything was better than I thought. The view from the apartment is quite amazing so make sure you get a sea view apartment. Cruise ships do unload their passengers on some days but there are never too many and they make quite interesting viewing!!!! There are turtles swimming just off the beach by the reef so you don't need to pay to do a turtle trip. Food wise there is Connies just opposite on Thurs Fri and Sats which is good takeaway food and Mr Vics bar is good,and 50yds away and the Roti about 100yds and the garage there does basic provisions. Holetown 5 mins on the bus has a big supermarket and also good restaurants and bars, 1st and 2nd street are the place to go at night.
Everyone at the place was incredibly helpful if you needed anything so it would be hard to find anywhere better...

Room Tip: Sea rooms are a must as the view is stunning and the higher the better Rooms 1& 2 are two bedroo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barry M
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I was extremely hesitant to book this vacation as we have 8 month old twins and this was our first big trip….thank goodness we did! Jennifer at the St James made everything so easy for us, from arranging an excellent nanny, to having our crib exactly right, to making sure we were able to get the groceries/supplies we needed upon our arrival. The hotel itself is wonderful: spacious, clean rooms, well appointed kitchen and a beautiful beach outside your doorstep. We were so well taken care of by the attentive staff, it really felt like a luxury vacation! And to top it all off, when our departing flight was delayed and finally postponed (at 11:30pm) until the next day, Jennifer made sure we had a room to sleep in that night, which was such a relief after a long evening in the airport. Highly, highly recommend, we will be returning!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We have been traveling to Barbados for over 10 years...this year kismet brought us to The St.James. Booking was easy..Jennifer is a delight to work with with quick responses to any questions we had via e-mail. The apartment (#6) is well appointed (we used it as a one bedroom and it can be used as a two bedroom). It is immaculate, the staff is lovely...our balcony afforded us in home dinner overlooking the Caribbean. Great restaurants in the area. The St. James is laid back, yet elegant. A true hidden gem. Thank you Jennifer and staff..I am writing this as I sit on the balcony...didn't want to wait !

Room Tip: Room #6 the living area overlooks with Caribbean with a lovely and large deck to dine on!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robin B
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed at the St. James early November 2013. The booking process and follow up was very professional and fast. Jennifer was wonderful handling our booking and every question we had. She even checked into a rental car company that we had found online. The apartment was lovely, very clean, very well kept. The beach loungers and snorkel equipment were all in great condition. The apartment was cleaned each day, and I can't say enough about the women who take care of the apartments...very honest and very friendly. I found one my diamond earrings on the dining room table, in plain sight for me to find...one I hadn't even realized had fallen out of my belongings. I was shocked and very touched. The apartment is very quiet...we had room 3, and enjoyed an amazing view of the ocean and wonderful sunsets. We will be back to the St. James, and hope to see Jennifer once again. Thank you for everything!!

Room Tip: Any of the full ocean view rooms are perfect!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sandy Lane Hotel
Sandy Lane Hotel
#3 of 26 in Saint James Parish
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to The St James? Share your experiences!