“A pleasant place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Alexandra Hotel
Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
London
“A pleasant place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

If you are looking for a luxurious experience, this is not the place for you. The Intercontinental it ain't. But if you like cheap and cheerful but and don't mind a dated ambience, this could be the place for you to stay.
It is a quiet hotel and largely un-modernised but the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Neither are you lumped with air conditioning and sealed windows.
The location is pretty good - whether you want to shop in the centre of town or catch the land train that traverses the front from the harbour (in the east) to the start of the Beachy Head park in the west.
Upsides? The price, spacious rooms and location.The staff are friendly and helpful.
Downsides? I got the impression that the chef is in a 1960s time warp. I would swear that I have rarely tasted such over-cooked vegetables. Generally, the skills of the chef need a bit of work. But hey, it was not Savoy Grill prices.
Tips: if you are travelling by car and want to park nearby you can get all day parking for just £1.00 from the hotel reception desk.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Thame, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

I have been coming to The Alexandra for the past 6 years and always enjoyed myself, however the hotel has recently changed hands and i found a big improvement .Winstone (the manager)was always cheery nothing was too much trouble for him I do not believe he had any time off during the 8 days I was there .It was nice to see familar faces among the cleaning staff and new ones were great .3 cheers for Dalia who coped with our rowdy but always happy table .Already booked for next year ! Penny

Room Tip: Rooms at the front suffer with noise from the main road however excellent view of the pier and Wish...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Harlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

My husband and I stayed for a 4 night break in May, this being our first time at this hotel. We were very impressed with the hospitality shown to us by a very friendly and helpful team of staff. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the food was well prepared. The location is good being right on the promenade and only a short distance for the theatres and shops. We would recommend this hotel and look forward to returning for another break.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Jennifer M
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

My family have stayed at this hotel numeroous times and I am glad to say that it is as good as it was with the previous owners.
Maria is a fantastic manager and nothing is too much trouble for her, she meets you with a happy smiling face and it never disappears.
The rooms are comfortable and sufficient, the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis by the fantastic staff, with the beds and towels being changed daily.
Vicky and Dalia are wonderful waitresses, and you will be served by a happy smiling person, (special congratulations to Vicky - I have never known so many people sing the praises of one waitress before).
The breakfast choices are substantial including fruit juices, cereals, full english breakfast and toast - you can have all or some of them.
Dinner time offers a choice of a a few starters, a meat or fish dish with 2 veg followed by a few choices of pudding.
There is a lounge with a bar, Beata is a lovely barmaid and will do her best to fulfill whatever your drink requirement is.
For a 2 star hotel this offers everything I would expect, however it could be so much better with a few little improvements like more choices at dinner time and better wi-fi connection.
Overall in the 6 months the new owners and staff have done a great job and I look forward to seeing how it improves over the next year.

Room Tip: This hotel has no swimming pool and no facilities for children.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Charles W
Harrow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

The Alexandra Hotel is extremely friendly and comfortable. Maria offered me a cup of tea as soon as I arrived. The waitresses Dahlia and Viktroa are very friendly, efficient and nothing is too much trouble for them. My room was adequate with a very comfortable bed. The food was excellent, although as I was there for ten days could have been improved with bit more variety. The hotel is kept clean. Eastbourne itself is one of my favourite places with a very good shopping centre, lovely walks along the sea front and on Beachy Head. There are also some wonderful walks in land. I have already made a provisional booking for next year which will be my 13th year returning to Eastbourne. Although the hotel has changed hands it is still a very good hotel. Thank you.

Room Tip: I only have experience of rooms facing the sea but have no complains.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Mary C
worthing
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

I booked through a church group and was told it was good value, clean and the owners a couple were fantastic. But it has recently changed hands and was awful. We were charged more than quoted when it was booked. The room said"sea view" but this was only possible by standing next to the window. The single room was a partitioned part of a bigger room. The bed had blankets and sheets!!! No duvet. The bed was like sleeping on the floor it was so hard and cheap, and old. The shower soap dish was disgusting. Also it was cold in the room.Basically it all needs updating desperately. I would not recommend this hotel at all. I could not sleep and at 5am the rooms above me i could hear thumping on the floor! When I complained i had not slept and had to find alternate accomodation i was told to pay for the next night as this was their policy, so i did. Then later giving in my key was told i should pay for all 3 nights..which i refused to do! It could have ruined my bank holiday weekend. Other members of the party commented that the double bed they had was so old that they rolled into each other!
A bad experience, Fawlty towers but worse. I found another modern hotel nearby which was as what i expect from a hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Rose B
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

I organised a group holiday for 43 senior citizens at this hotel. and we stayed from 15 to 19 April 2013. We received a very warm welcome with tea and cake while our cases were taken to our rooms. Everyone of our party was fully satisfied with their accomodation and the cleanliness of their rooms and the hotel in general. I have never stayed in a hotel of any grade to beat the cleanliness of this hotel. It was outstanding. The staff were friendly and welcoming and could not do enough for us. The Manager, Winston, went out of his way to ensure we had everything we wanted in ensuring all our needs were meat. We had 2 nights of entertainment both being good with one in particular, outstanding. The food was served piping hot on hot plates with vegetables served separately and rolls at evening meals were always served hot. The standard of the food was good and well cooked and those with bigger appitites were always given larger portions. Our group travels on short break holidays 3 times every year and has done so for the past 13 years. We were all agreed that The Alexandra was, for value, cleanliness and warmth of staff, the best hotel we have stayed at. The hotle is particularly suited to seniors and any going as individuals or as a group can be assurred of a pleasant stay. I would have no hesitation in using this hotel again on future visits to the area..

Room Tip: Hotel has a lot of sea view rooms and these are obviously the ones to go for, if available. Some ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends