Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say... It was the cheapest hotel I could find but what we discovered explains this. The staff are great, we could not fault them, the rooms however are a complete joke. I had to swap with another couple I was with because you could barely move in it and we removed the disturbing picture on the wall and placed it in the wardrobe. The lift wasn't working and by the reviews it has been out of action for some time, it reminded me a bit of the one in titanic lol! It is in a fab location and for the one night we was there it was ok. I would my have stayed any longer!

Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 13 July 2014

List of things WRONG with this 'budget' hotel
1.Stated on booking that we would require a travel cot for a toddler, this was confirmed in the confirmation of the booking, when we arrives, alas no travel cot. Lucky I bought one from home just in case.
2. Having stated that we required a travel cot, you'd have thought the staff and management would have thought to not put a toddler next to the LOUD, THUNDERING and SCREATCHING lift that they have, oh wait, they sure did, for 3 hours the noises were going off and on and waking my toddler up (he is usually a great sleeper even in strange places) Called reception, oh no available rooms ! of cause.
3. Carpet feels like a cheese grater on your feet, the curtains are made of Shag Pile carpet (good for keeping light out but think so also keep heat in, the beds are also lined with this) As the night we stayed was around 20 degrees, we spent the whole night sweating and not sleeping.
4. Windows only open 2 inches at best, so no fresh air, especially at night when the stupid curtains are drawn.
5. THE STAFF ... oh what to say about the uninterested and downright rude staff. I have to admit, the gentleman who checked us in was really nice and helpful, everyone else we came into contact with was the complete opposite, the bar staff were sat with their feet upon the tables in the evening instead of seeing to guests, this drove us from having a drink in the bar before retiring at 7pm, the lady who checked us out wasn't interested in resolving my complaints, just wanted the £1 car park pass I owed. NO STANDARDS !
6. you expect that its not going to be the Hilton being a 'budget hotel' however for £65 a night you'd expect to have the standard accessories you'd normally have in a hotel, working tv, free wifi, tea and coffee making facilities, hot water, BREAKFAST. Oh no none of these, breakfast included in price, however, I had to ask for a 'bagged breakfast' upon leaving as we checked out early and couldn't stay, which I said the day before upon checking in. The 'bagged breakfast' consisted of a carton of UHT milk and a banana !!!! SERIOUSLY !

I URGE EVERYONE TO NEVER VISIT THIS HOTEL ! It is horrendous and you will not enjoy it. !

Room Tip: Don't come here, if you have to avoid room 207 !
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank CManning88
Reviewed 18 June 2014

When me and my boyfriend booked this Hotel, we were attracted to the modern edge.... and this is not what it was! The curtains were furry which to me, looked tacky. The fur was also around the edge of the bed which was strange. Another thing, when we arrived, the toilet roll that was provided on the holder was half empty. The shower was weak and we eventually had to have a look at it ourselves to get the water to powerfully even cover one of us! The staff were very polite and that is all I can possibly give the Hotel a good review on. There was also a heavy draft coming from the window to which I thought it was left open until my boyfriend pointed out it was in fact shut. This hotel was not worth the £135 we spent, we would have been more satisfied in a Travel Lodge. We could also hear the vibration of next doors phone and also when they were taking a shower. Not a good hotel experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lauramidge93
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Don't be fooled by the "stylish" words that people use to describe this hotel. It might have looked good when they built it, but those furry curtains and bed and the student-type wardrobe are anything but "cool". The room was hot, no air conditioning, and the window would just open an inch or so.
But what really disappointed me was the whole Ryanair-esque attitude; they provide you with shower gel, but if you want shampoo you need to buy it at reception; breakfast is included, but if you want cooked breakfast, that's extra (you can even double-up on the number of bacon rashers for extra money); wi-fi is not included, you need to pay for it (in this day and age I don't want to pay for 24 hours what I pay a month for broadband at home); check-out is at 10:30, but for extra money you can have a lie-in until 12!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MxInLondon
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We was going to cancel but as it was last minute we were unable! The only good thing about this hotel is the location, it is great to be right on the sea front.

Bad points- room was boiling hot with no aircon or fan, wasn't able to open windows ( only ajar), overall the room needed updating, we were put right next to the lift which was very loud, as we had to have the windows open there was noise from skateboarders around 3-4am right outside the hotel, the shower spontaneously turned on in the middle of the night, there was only about 9 channels on the TV, had to wait about 5 minutes to get any hot water from the shower, there were cracks in the ceiling and bubbles on the walls.

I don't think il be back

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank MONSTER20130
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We needed needed a room at short notice in Eastbourne and for a good price. I'd been to the Big Sleep before on business so checked out the room rates and was impressed.

Booking was very easy over the phone, I tried over the Internet and that's my only criticism; that there wasn't instant booking available, we would have had to wait to confirm room availability.

Checking in was easy too, friendly staff. The room was very comfortable and very simple. Floor length fluffy curtains which were far nicer than you'd imagine :) There's a really nice lounge area that you feel comfy sat in.

We had the continental breakfast which was lovely and plenty of it. Lots of young families.

It is a budget hotel but they look after it well. It's cosy, well thought out and we'd definitely go again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Big Sleep for a few weeks in March as we were on business on the South Coast and were very surprised after reading some of the reviews. Our room - a double - was HUGE and very very clean. Same as some other reviews, we were a bit bemused by the faux fur curtains, but they certainly worked when the wind got up. Staff are very friendly and attentive, the breakfast (included) is fantastic value and well worth getting up for. Centrally located and for the price, couldn't recommend it higher.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Travellers also viewed these Eastbourne hotels
Shore View Hotel
#26 of 40 in Eastbourne
The View Hotel
The View Hotel
#3 of 40 in Eastbourne

Been to Citrus Hotel Eastbourne By by Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Eastbourne)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Citrus Hotel Eastbourne By by Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Eastbourne)

Address: King Edwards Parade | King Edwards Parade, Eastbourne BN21 4EB, England
Region: United Kingdom > England > East Sussex > Eastbourne
Bar / Lounge Beach Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Airport Transportation
#12 On the Beach Hotel in Eastbourne
Price Range: £32 - £92 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Citrus Hotel Eastbourne By by Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Eastbourne) 3*
A 50 bedroom designer limited service hotel on Eastbourne’s seafront, offering fantastic value for money, great sea views and exciting new horizons in interior design. The Citrus Hotel Eastbourne is beautifully located for both holidaymakers and business travellers alike. Families love the spacious family rooms and family studios. The hotel offers you free Wi-Fi thought all of our bedrooms and public areas. As with all UK hotels, we are a non-smoking hotel. Bed and Breakfast and Room Only rates are available as well as rates for Group Bookings. By contacting the hotel directly, we can offer you the cheapest rates available on the market. Choose between a continental or our Citrus full English Buffet Breakfast. All of our bedrooms are en-suite, some with wet areas and each has a flat-screen TV. Tea and Coffee making facilities, direct dial telephone as well as our complimentary Wi-Fi service. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Citrus Hotel Eastbourne By by Compass Hospitality (Formerly The Big Sleep Eastbourne) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Big Sleep Hotel