“Great modern budget hotel”

The Big Sleep Hotel Eastbourne by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel, so I knew what to expect and my expectations were lived up to. It is a very clean, efficiently run hotel, in a great spot near to the beach and the town... and also the theatres if that's your thing. I visited with my Mum and my 4 year old. We were not disappointed. The room, a triple, was a good size for 3 people, with a separate dressing area and a massive bathroom. The shower and bath were both in great working order, the room furnishings were funky and modern - and I glimpsed inside a suite that was to an even higher standard - very impressive. Even though it's modern, the outside of the hotel is in keeping with the style of the seaside. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly, with no exception. There is a games room, a bar and a breakfast room, all again of a good standard. I haven't scored it 'excellent' due to the fact that the standard of the mattresses on this stay were not brilliant - my Mum's and my son's were ok, maybe a little lumpy... but I had to ask for mine to be changed due to the springs having given way all down the centre and the ones that were left were poking through and very uncomfortable. Having said that, I still managed to get 2 good night's sleep before I asked for it to be changed. Make sure you check your mattress out well before you sleep on it! The replacement was quick and a satisfactory standard. The breakfasts were included in the room price - cold/continental buffet, again to a good standard. I did have a hot breakfast which was £3.50 extra. Although the breakfast was impressively large for the price I didn't enjoy it but it might just be my taste. Be warned that you might have to wait for bar food/drink as the bar is attended to, in the day at least, by the member of staff on reception.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite for ultra fab décor. The hotel's own website doesn't clearly give the optio...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Big Sleep Hotel Eastbourne by Compass Hospitality

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding in the Grand in Eastbourne and although only 100 yards away the prices where considerably better.

My wife and I had telephoned earlier in the week to make sure we could have a late check in as we would not be arriving until around 10 pm this was absolutely no trouble for the reception. On arrival we were warmly greeted and checked in very quickly and efficiently. we had previously booked a suite so that we could have a bit of extra room so the wife could sort dresses make up etc. We where delighted with the suite, an entrance lobby with a large bathroom, large day and bedroom and a walk in cupboard off to the right, which contained a free to use safe.

The bedroom was substantial with a king size bed, I say king size but we have a king size at home and this was continental size. the bed had side lamps set on side tables and a quirky mirrored headboard. There was a dressing table with a mirror which also had a fan and a kettle stored within it. A seating area set in a large bay window with a beautiful sea view. There was a small balcony outside the windows but the windows did not open far enough to allow you access

The bathroom was well appointed, tiled throughout, with the usual facilities including a large bath with and over bath shower. Plenty of fluffy towels and complimentary shower gel and hand wash. Big warning over the sink saying please use but if you take the bottles you will be charged £5.00.

The black out curtains worked very well although they did look a bit like Barney Rubble curtains and would not have been out of place in the Flintstones.

Breakfast was a continental, and a bit basic, Juice, water ,tea, coffee, cereals and toast. There where also some pastries and some cheese, fruit and yoghurt. A cooked breakfast was available at an extra charge. We did not sample this so I cannot comment.

At all times we found the staff pleasant and helpful. There was a limited selection of drinks at the bar, mainly bottled bears an ciders, wine seemed to be supplied in small 1 glass bottles. I would have thought the hotel could have offered a better selection of wines at a better mark up if it was poured from a larger bottle.

Over all a good stay and we would certainty return if we are ever back in Eastbourne. Indeed we had family staying at the Grand and they where impressed with the accommodations compared to what they had, for more than double the price

Room Tip: Book a suite as some of the other rooms are a good bit smaller there are only 8 suites 115 and 113 w...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Very quirky hotel with great décor and part owned by John Malkovich. Inexpensive but great value for money. Despite checking in at the same time as a cricket club we had a very quiet night's sleep. Good value continental breakfast with option to upgrade to full English.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Spacious room, clean, nice bathroom (with bath & shower), big bed, great take-away breakfast, right on the sea front, ten minute walk into town, helpful staff, had to hand in key everytime you left the hotel. No free wifi (my only gripe).

Room Tip: No lift access before 7am, I had an early check out and had to carry two suitcases down three flight...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel was nice enough and clean enough, but a bit worn and with quite a few spiders coming in through the windows.
We stayed in a suite but the furry drapes were worn and the shower floor was a bit ikky.
The location is great though, and the staff is very friendly.

Room Tip: The seaview is great!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kajsamarie
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here with my husband and one year old. I found this hotel typical of a Travelodge standard (although a Travelodge may have been better).

The carpet was dirty when we got in, so I asked someone to hoover this up and they got that done. The room had a bath in and a working shower. The bed made noise and this was not helpful as I had a travel cot right next to me.

The carpet is also not child friendly esp if your little one is crawling as its not even carpet its much more of a cheap version which is like carpet tiles.

The breakfast was average however if you wanted a fry up you had to pay an additional amount.

The hotel was located at the end of the row where the hotels were, this was fine for us as we didn't mind the walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and also a travel cot as you will have a bigger room even if you don't have a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

stayed at this hotel Wednesday night 22july with some friends, we were visiting Eastbourne for a concert at the bandstand.
the hotel was about 1000yards away from the bandstand on the seafront so ideal for our trip.
the hotel do offer a parking permit system for some bays in the side road adjacent to the hotel but I had already fed the meter on the main road outside before I went into reception.
parking is free after 6pm til 0800 and £2.50 got us from 3pm to 9am.
hotel has large clean rooms although slightly dated. bathrooms large but the taps in my room were a bit furred up but the couple we travelled with said theirs were fine.
due to the very unusual hot weather had to request an electric fan which was provided immediately.
bar and breakfast basic but adequate for an overnight or working stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends