“Mother and teenage daughter time well spent.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterside Hotel

Waterside Hotel
Ranked #29 of 42 Hotels in Eastbourne
Nottingham
“Mother and teenage daughter time well spent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We booked the two night indulgence package, and were in every way. The staff couldn't do enough for us. We took the evening meal on our second evening and were given five star treatment, the food was delicious. We're talking about a return next year with girlfriends.

Room Tip: We were in number 6, with outstanding views but there are a lot of stairs and one heavy fire door to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Waterside Boutique hotel. The staff was professional and friendly. Although we found the rooms a bit small, the linen and towels were of a very high quality and the small touches like receiving a rose or the surprise complimentary liquer with hot cross buns was most thoughtful and so unexpected. The full english breakfasts were substantial and the restaurant staff most efficient. The location is lovely and although parking in Eastbourne is a problem, the staff went out of their way to assist us. I highly recommend this delightful hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms that are sea facing are more spacious.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My partner and I stayed at The Waterside Hotel during the Easter weekend after visiting Eastbourne a couple of years ago (staying at another hotel) we dined at The Waterside and were so impressed, we decided to book our stay here on our return.
We booked an inland facing room for £85 which I didnt think was bad over Easter in a seafront, boutique hotel.
On our arrival, we were greeted by friendly reception staff (although there is not really a 'reception' as such, just a desk in the bar/restaurant area) and shown to our room by a bubbly South African man who I believe could be the Manager.
Our room was on the first floor and nicely decorated in modern design however it was very small and the view from our window was of the bins at the back of the restaurant...not exactly picturesque although as we had booked an inland facing room and were not really going to spend much time peering out the window, this didnt bother me too much.
There was a good size flat screen TV mounted on the wall, a desk and a small closet. The bed was comfortable and a good size which is important to us as we both like to sleep spread out a bit! - the only downside was that the pillows were very small and flat and there were no spares left in the closet as is the norm at many other hotels.
The bathroom again was very small with a toilet, sink and 'wet room' style shower which although looks very nice and modern is actually very impractical and dangerous when the whole of the bathroom floor is sopping wet and a slip hazard. The extractor fan was very loud aswell.
There was a lovely touch made by the management, not long after we had checked in which was that he personally knocked on each rooms door and offered a complimentary cocktail and toasted hot cross bun for each guest as it was Easter - I thought this was a really nice gesture.
As mentioned before, my partner and I had dined in The Waterside's seafood restaurant on our previous visit and we were looking forward to doing so again. The restaurant is running some fantastic offer deals at the moment and we were informed at check in that the deal running on that particular evening would be two steaks and a bottle of house wine for £29.95 which we thought was a great offer, so although the Waterside is a 'seafood' restaurant and that is what we had planned to eat we changed our minds and went for the steak deal then paid extra to have a starter and dessert as well as a Champagne cocktail prior to our meal which was very nice.
The starter (Avacado and tomato salad) was incredibly disappointing - it was basically pureed avacado mixed with red pepper (which is my food hell and if the menu had mentioned it contained peppers I wouldnt have ordered it) on some rocket salad leaves which had been soaked in lemon juice and was so sour I couldnt eat it - such a shame after enjoying the best scallops I had ever eaten on my previous visit! I cannot fault the steak meals value though - the steaks were cooked well and were a good size and the chips I had with mine were delicious (although I could have done with perhaps a few more) and my dessert was also delicious (Chocolate tart with passionfruit ice cream) my partner had the cheese board which he really enjoyed too - especially an amazing smoked cheddar.
We enjoyed a few more drinks in the bar after dinner too, overlooking the lit up pier and seafront it was lovely - if only the weather had been warmer, we would have felt like we were in the Med! My partner was also extremely happy as they stocked his favourite Islay Whiskey - Ardbeg!
Another plus point for us is that The Waterside promote 'Lazy weekends' and offer a late check out time of 12pm and breakfast is also until 12pm on Saturday/Sunday mornings - great if you fancy a lie in! and the breakfast was also very good although we did have to wait a long time for it considering there was no one else around.
Parking can be tricky at peak times as you can only park opposite the hotel (next to the beach) but the hotel will give you a parking permit which entitles you to park there until 11am the following morning for £1 which is great value (especially for us as coming from London that was extremely cheap!)
When we checked out there was a little bit of confusion as they had a bottle of Prosecco on our bill which we did not order and they didnt have any record of the drinks we had ordered after our meal, which we had charged to the room even though we watched the night porter write them down (so if I had been a dishonest person I could have got got away with a lot of free drinks!)
Overall, I think the hotel could perhaps do with a little re-vamp to keep it from looking a bit tired and some of the staff would benefit from a bit of training as a few times they seemed a bit confused but I would recommend the hotel to anyone wishing to stay in a central location in Eastbourne which is a bit more modern than a lot of the other more traditional B&B's favoured by the OAP's coach trips etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room if you dont mind paying the extra - the inland view is not very nice and ask...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Rome
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I would recommend the restaurant with its attractive decor, delicious food and pleasant personal service. There are some excellent deals on dining too.

• Stayed April 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

We booked a sea view room for two nights over the weekend, however we were called the following day after booking online and were told that due to an error on their website the room was double booked and no longer available. We were offered a basement room for half price so took it. When we checked in we were told that miraculously the original sea view room was now available!!
This did irritate me but was pleased to have a sea view as the view was great and the room had plenty of light which was my main concern about the basement room. However on check out we were only charged half price so no complaints.
Waterside is a nice boutique hotel, the location is good for the sea front but a bit of a walk to the town centre. We were in a deluxe sea view room which wasn’t a large room but big enough for a couple. The usual tea and coffee facilities, but no complimentary water, which would have been nice. The choice at breakfast was good and I like the fact that the serve breakfast till 12pm on weekends as this meant you could have a lazy weekend lie in if you wanted.
All staff from check in, breakfast and check out were friendly and helpful, we were even given a drink on the house when we had to wait for a room to be cleaned during check in. We only had breakfast so can't comment on the dinner or bar service. I would definitely stay at the Waterside again especially when the weather is better to get the full benefit of being on the sea front, but that was after paying half price as not sure the room was worth £125 a night, mainly due to location from town centre and the lack of complimentary items such as bath robes, water etc.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed here in Feb for a long weekend break. The price was great (we had a Feb discount) and the view stunning (we had a deluxe sea view room). However, if we'd paid full price I'd have moved hotel. This is not a boutique hotel. It's not quirky. Or luxurious. So I'm not sure why it insists on referring to itself as boutique. The hotel is rather confused as to what it actually is.

The bed was a bit tatty, stains/marks/shoe prints on the material base and we needed to request more pillows as the two flat things they provided had seen better days. The carpet was stained in places and the walls in the bedroom needed a repaint. All in all it had seen better days which is fine as long as you don't turn up expecting a luxurious, quirky hotel suite. The bathroom however, was glorious. Shame the bedroom couldnt match it.

Breakfast was great in the restaurant and staff were super attentive and really couldnt be faulted. Shame however, that evening service was so poor. Our food arrived (the worst vegetarian food I've ever eaten) and we were still waiting for our drinks once the food arrived. We had to ask 3 times for them before the giggling waitress eventually brought them. Again, the restaurant wasn't even busy. It all just felt really shoddy and lacking. Perhaps we are a bit too critical but we're paying for a service to be good and we felt it lacking. The cocktails - awful - and they're charging London prices, again fine as long as they deliver. But this hotel doesn't. By a long shot.

Overall, our stay here was disappointing. Worth staying if there is a special offer but anything over £60 a night for a deluxe room here is a joke. This is a regular Eastbourne hotel with a few fancy light fittings and a bit of feature wallpaper once you get past reception it's all downhill.

Shame though, because it could be something special if it got its act together.

Room Tip: The sea view were terrific shame the rooms were not.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel h
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Friendly staff, pleasant hotel. We had an inward facing room which was adequate but being a boutique hotel, I imagine some of the other rooms are at the more luxurious end. Had a lovely breakfast expertly presented & very tasty which had more of a personal touch to it. Overall it was a very nice stay (Ok weather was atrocious) but I think Eastbourne is nice getaway and I don't think you could go far wrong in this hotel. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple