Bay Burlington Hotel
Cavendish Hotel(Eastbourne)
US$85
US$51
  • Beachfront
The View Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$66
Langham Hotel(Eastbourne)
US$155
Shore View Hotel(Eastbourne)
US$52
  • Beachfront
Best Western York House Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$67
  • Pool
The Grand Hotel Eastbourne(Eastbourne)
US$260
US$59
US$56
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Lansdowne Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$191
US$152
Priceline
  • Beachfront
All reviewsmark snowshearings coachshearings hotelssea viewour waiterself driveevening entertainmententertainment managerentertainment areasea frontturkey and tinsel breakweekend breakshower over the bathfourth floorhalf boarddance floorbuffet breakfast
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I had booked a 4 night Shearings coach holiday arriving on 1st October 2012. This was at a reduced price and I took my mother away and paid extra for sea view and front seats on the coach and I was glad I did so. Our driver Chris was a treasure and he knew quite a few of the returning guests on the coach.

Our Room was room 110 which was a large twin with two large windows. The french doors had been opened and the doors really required to be serviced and re hung as you could not shut them. We did report this and the doors were closed shut for us but that did not solve the long term problem. The bathrooms do require updating especially with the elderly population this hotel caters for and should really have walk in shower facilities. We were happy with our room in general and thought it value for the money we paid for it. I agree with alot of comments about the amount of creaking that the floor boards make. Yes it is an old building but when you spend the 4 nights listening to who ever is staying in room 210 above you walking about constantly from 3am till you get up it is annoying!! This can be easily rectified by screwing the floor boards down and that would solve all the negative reviews and unhappy visitors who wont return!!!

The food menu for the day is displayed by the entrance to the dining area and its then your choice if you eat or choose to go out. We did choose to eat out on one night as we did not like the choice of food on offer. I would rather do that than suffer eating food that has no taste or what I consider to be substandard. The service was good and staff busy attending alot of tables and Ewa was a member of staff who was professional and had a great personality.

The lifts are a huge problem at this hotel and I had phoned ahead to shearings after reading some reviews on here that had problems with disablility access. I was given a room close to the lift on the first floor as I did not want to arrive on the Monday to discover I had been given an inappropriate room for our needs. One couple who sat close to us and where wheelchair users too, waited on average 20 mins to gain access to the larger of the two lifts that could just accommodate a wheelchair with someone seated in it!! The larger lift was also used for the cleaners to use and that did cause problems also at busy times. Due to increased disability awareness and independance the lack of lift facilities and the blocked usage for hotel purposes requires re assessment.

The evening entertainment the week we were there was not the usual gentleman as he was on holiday but there was arrangements made. Bingo is the norm every night with acts who are appropriate for the average age of guest. There is table waiter service if you wish to take advantage for it.

When we were there the hotel was clean and tidy and staff were friendly and work hard and a real bonus is that you dont have to worry about your cases as they are taken to the room for you and returned to the coach the morning of departure.

Room Tip: Paying extra for a sea view can make the holiday. If you have require to be on a low floor phone and request this.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Paula M
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Paula M. Thamk you for taking the time to put together a great comprehensive review. Great to read you enjoyed the location of the room, the comment made about the doors as been passed on to maintenenace to address. Every effort is made by the hotel reception staff to allocate rooms for the needs of all our guests. However for anyone reading this with medical requirments it is advisable to now contact Shearings Special Help Desk who will assit with the booking and any special requests. Yes Mark was on holiday during that week however a very suitable alternative host was on site to ensure the evening entertainment ran smoothly. Good to read the mention of the table service now provided in the main entertainment area. This is proving to be a real success and something our customers are taking full advantage of. Anyone reading this review please keep in mind this is a large 300 guest hotel.Whilst the lifts can and do get busy its important to remember we have 2 lifts 1 more than most establishments.

Reviewed 8 October 2012

we have stayed at the burlinton for 8 very long days, if you need a holiday please dont go. the whole hotel needs knocking down.dirty very old carpets with lumps in them (are there moles in there) dirty marks on walls and ceilings and wallpaper lifting off, old rattling windows that are dirty inside as well as outside.there are 2 lifts one was the size of a coffin and the other slightley bigger both creak and are dirty, one lady got stuck in the smaller coffin (sorry lift) for 45 minutes and she was really upset,,everything in the hotel creaks, floors, furniture,etc if you sit in the lounge on leather chairs they are so low you struggle to get up, the furniture in the lounge was so thick with dust that i wrote in the dust DIRTY, the bar staff were very good at wiping the glass tables,.you get swooped on when you go for your meals as they want you in and out quick, well the meals were all discusting breakfast was a very small sausage, half slice nearly raw bacon, the egg ugh yet again not cooked enough,toast cold and if you ask for cold water to drink it was always luke warm. are all the dinners frozen because they all tasted the same with frozen chips and frozen roast potatoes and one evening we thought it was apple sauce but it was potatoes lumps and no taste, i did have a lovely chat with laura in the lounge well done sweetheart you do a good job, i am sure the manager must go round with there eyes shut cause soap and water costs nothing.the beds are old creaky and need to go on a bonfire,if managment are reading this get a pen and paper and go round every room and write down everything that needs repairing or cleaning you will have a very long list. I dont know how you have the cheek to open your doors to the public.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank seajade60
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave the review. Having read all the points made I would actually agree with some. Big old building that does creak, as stated in previous reviews we are working hard to address our older bedrooms. I am pleased to say that in the next two weeks a delivery of new furniture will arrive to replace those low seating settees. The comments made about the food have been passed on to the chef; however breakfast is not just a sausage, bacon and egg, unless that’s what you want. We have a selection of cereals, porridge, juices. rolls, prunes as well as full English. This does satisfy most people however if any more is required this would not a problem. When cooking for nearly 300 guests we appreciate that some people like things cooked to their own particular taste. If this is the case a little chat with a member of the staff or management can sort this out straight away. The lovely comment regarding Laura will be passed on, she will be delighted.
The housekeeper and I are dealing with the comments made about the cleanliness, but we are both surprised by your review. This not a true reflection of the state of the hotel. A good/Excellent score was received for hotel cleanliness via the in house comment cards given to all guests during their stay.
In a previous review a guest made the excellent point of “if you want something just speak to them” We welcome any requests and are happy to discuss any issues that may arise during a guests stay. However, when no mention of anything is made at the time of the stay it is very difficult to deal with retrospectively. The review itself asks lots of questions, all of these could have been answered if asked at the time. Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, please keep in mind it is just that, one persons view.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

The 300 or so guests are all served quickly and well with a good choice of hot meals.
However, the bedroom we were in was a 4'6" double, old, very creaky and with a duvet that was far too hot - the hotel itself was very warm at end September;Bathroom very old fashioned. Other guests seemed very happy, but we would choose it in future, although it did represent good value for facilities and food. Butlins style evening entertainment - not our scene.
We were a party of 20 60-80 yrs old.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are 20% more, but woth it for views and better roo, larger rooms and better decor
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank JEV1937
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Thank. You for leaving the review. Good to read you thought the holiday package represented value for money. Lovely comment regarding the efficiency of the dining room staff and the choice of food. As stated in previous reviews we are making changes and improvements to our bedrooms over the coming months. I do understand that some guests may not enjoy the evening entertainment; however the majority of the guests as pointed out in this review do enjoy the nightly activities. May be one of our Coast and Country hotels would be more suited to the needs of a group of people who prefer a more relaxed approach to evening entertainment.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Recently had four days here. Nice room overlooking the prom and pier. Went to sleep to the beautiful sound of the waves on the shore. Food and service good. Pay for the parking - it's worth it. Although not important to us, the entertainment was difficult to see comfortably. We enjoyed walks along the broad promenade and a ride in the road train. Shops are also close by. Would visit again.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robin G
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Thank you Robin G. It is so nice to read when a guest enjoys the local surroundings. As stated in previous reviews Eastbourne is lovely. Always good to see the hotel was enjoyed and you would return. Music to my ears.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

Ok, so read the reviews before I travelled, but having booked this for me and my son, I decided that it was best to try it for myself. On arrival at this hotel, I drove round and round for about half hour trying to park. Approaching the hotel, we could see that it was very much an OAP place to stay (not that I dislike OAP's), but there was a bit of a smell to the place on entering!! Anyway it was late, and we got our keys and went to our room. I was actually surprised on opening the door. It was a decent size room and a seaview which was lovely. The decor was nothing special, but is was reasonable. We then went out to find a restaurant so didnt look around very much. When we returned, I pulled back the duvet, the underside was ripped and had black stains all over it. The bathroom was the worst. A sanitary towel wrapper was on the toilet cystern. The sink taps were stained and dirty and was the sealent around the sink. The bath panel was thick with dust and the pipes leading from the sink had dust and hairs stuck thick to them. The light fitting was full of dead flies and moths. All in all, this place needed a thoroughly good clean at the least!! Breakfast was another story all together. The staff were rude and unattentive. The cooked breakfast was by far the worst thing I have ever had to taste, in fact that's all it took was one taste for me to leave the entire lot - I now know why they are full of OAP;s - its because they cannot taste the utter rubbish they are being served! (again, no offence if you are over a certain age). The one nice thing I can say about this place is that both of the girls on the front desk were polite and accomodating. Really, if you have booked this place and you are under 70, then I suggest you cancel and rebook somewhere else!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Truthful_10

Thank you taking the time to leave the review I have to say I am dismayed and very disappointed to read the comments made, as would any hotelier be. All points are being fully investigated; however I am very bewildered why none of this was brought to the attention of the hotel team, as every effort would have been made to rectify any problems immediately
The comment regarding the sanitary wrapper is, in fact a hygiene bag used by ladies and are common place in most hotels.