Bay Burlington Hotel
US$135
US$73
US$71
  • Breakfast included
Best Western York House Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$81
US$72
Hotels.com
  • Pool
The View Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$67
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Lansdowne Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$53
TripAdvisor
The Grand Hotel Eastbourne(Eastbourne)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmark snowshearings coachshearings hotelssea viewour waiterself driveevening entertainmententertainment managerentertainment areasea frontturkey and tinsel breakweekend breakshower over the bathfourth floorhalf boarddance floorbuffet breakfast
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I was in room 120 in July this year. I have been waiting for Shearings to deal with my formal complaint as wanted to give them a chance to deal with it and apologise. The room was filthy and the decor was damaged, dirty and torn. I am not talking about dust here but filth which has been there for a long long time. I complained immediately after arrival but nothing was done so I complained again. I was told to be 'patient' and that 'she is working her way round the hotel with a list'. Obviously 'she' must have left as she certainly didn't make it to my room. It was never cleaned the whole time I was there. The only thing I can say is that the bed was made. I damp dusted the surfaces around my bed so that I wouldn't be breathing in the dust. The bed head was made of material and was heavily stained so I covered that with a bath mat which stayed there all week. The carpet was heavily stained or worn out. I could not walk around without something on my feet. There was a long black hair in the bath which was still there when I left. I took photos as evidence but Shearings are not interested. I wrote immediately on return from my holiday. Three months down the line and I am still waiting for a satisfactory response. I have tried on numerous occasions to speak to Angela Fowler the Customer Services Manager but she is far too busy to speak to customers. I'm afraid Customes Services is non existent in the Shearings company. My husband and I have used Shearings for over 20 years but we shall never use them again and I would never recommend them to anyone else. They have grown too big and are not prepared to invest in their hotels. I am aware that some refurbishment has taken place in the Burlington Hotel but it is not acceptable to place paying customers in the rooms that are not fit for habitation, let alone charge them the same price as for the refurbished rooms. I have never written a bad review before and accept that things will go wrong occasionally. That is life. However I expect that if I do complain that my complaint will be dealt with promptly and sympathetically. Clearly I expect too much.

Room Tip: Do not use 120 or 150. both are filthy and very very noisy
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jenny G
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to read you felt let down by our Customer Care Team. My understadning of the situation is that various conversations have taken place regarding this matter. I do not feel it would be fair to comment further on this as I know other efforts have been made to come to an agreeable solution between the two partys.
Our Customer Care Team will do all thay can to assit a customer if they are not totally staisfied with their holiday.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

Just come back from weekend break stayed with my husband, mother-in-law and her partner. Upgraded to superior seaview room which was on 4th floor. Very spacious room and large ensuite bathroom (room402). Room had been refurbished , lovely bathroom. Windows opened slightly. Lovely seaview with pier.
Food quality very good with different choices. Buffet breakfast no longer available now waitress service. First class service from bar staff, waiters and waitresses.
Mark resident entertainer got everyone involved with his bingo, quizzes etc.
reception staff gave good customer service dealing with all enquiries very efficiently.
We paid £5 for the parking space at the back of hotel, well worth the money and secure.
this is the 7th shearings hotel I have stayed in and this is the best of all.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Dottiedot2
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Thank you very much dotiiedot2. 7 Shearings holidays and we are the best, high praise indeed so thank you. Always great to read when a guest and their family have enjoyed the hotel and the surroundings. Good tip about booking a superior room. We are finding more and more customers are asking for this type of room and it is something we are looking into for the future.The lovely comments about Mak and the staff will be passed on. Good to read the new paid parking facility was a hit. Since making these changes in August we have received very possitive feed back regarding the parking situation at the hotel. As stated, by booking a parking space you have peace of mind that you can go off for the day knowing that your parking bay will still be a vailable on your return. Look forward to welcoming you back for your eighth holiday.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Booked a 4 night Shearings coach holiday for myself, my mother and disabled brother. So glad I upgraded to a sea view room. Room was clean and pleasant and bathroom adequate but was concerned that there was no walk in shower (had requested one), the shower over the bath was usable but I had to help my mother in and out of the very high bath.
My bother was in a single room - oh dear what can I say, it overlooked the car park at the back, was small, dark and dingy. Carpet had seen better days and the bed was oh so uncomfortable.
On the plus side, our stay was very pleasant due to the staff, Maggie our waitress was superb as was Mark the entertainer. The hotel is in a very good position, just across the road to the pier and buses to Beachy Head and the surrounding area.
Would I recommend this hotel, well I think that you have to look beyond the shabby areas to see that the hotel does really try to make sure you have a good holiday and do take your concerns seriously. I would stay again but would always upgrade the room to ensure the best accomodation available.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. Single rooms may be very shabby.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret T
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you Margaret T. For taking the time to leave a review. I do remeber your adorable brother and its great to read that you did enjoy the stay. Previous reviews have stated the brilliant location of the hotel. Just perfect for the short walk to our lovely town centre. Lovely comments about Mark and Maggie.Glad to read its is the staff that made the stay so good. There are always improvements being made at the hotel and customer reviews are important to us to help us make these improvements. Great tip about the front facing room.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed here last weekend in a top floor room looking out over the town. It was quiet and spacious. The bedding and surfaces were all fresh and clean. The shower worked well with plenty of hot water and clean towels as required. On the downside, the light level was low, making it difficult for reading in the evenings and the window did not open. I expect the room is on the list for refurbishment but in the meantime it would help if the carpet was washed clean and a new mattress provided.
The food was good, especially the kippers for breakfast. Drinks were poor, no green tea and the coffee undrinkable.
All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Parking with the voucher system was easy and convenient.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quieter and have better views.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marian p

Marian P. Thanks for leaving the review. Always nice to read when a guests enjoys their stay. Pleastantly surprised! This is good.The comentt regarding the coffee is being looked into as we we serve a premim brand of coffee in both our dining room and retail coffee area. Green tea has now been added to the selection of 6 other specialty teas on offer.Great suggestion.The housekeeping team work hard to maintain the bedding and the surroundings, however we are aware that some rooms are a little tired and this is being addressed in the near future. Agree the view from the top floor is great.Thanks again.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I had booked a 4 night Shearings coach holiday arriving on 1st October 2012. This was at a reduced price and I took my mother away and paid extra for sea view and front seats on the coach and I was glad I did so. Our driver Chris was a treasure and he knew quite a few of the returning guests on the coach.

Our Room was room 110 which was a large twin with two large windows. The french doors had been opened and the doors really required to be serviced and re hung as you could not shut them. We did report this and the doors were closed shut for us but that did not solve the long term problem. The bathrooms do require updating especially with the elderly population this hotel caters for and should really have walk in shower facilities. We were happy with our room in general and thought it value for the money we paid for it. I agree with alot of comments about the amount of creaking that the floor boards make. Yes it is an old building but when you spend the 4 nights listening to who ever is staying in room 210 above you walking about constantly from 3am till you get up it is annoying!! This can be easily rectified by screwing the floor boards down and that would solve all the negative reviews and unhappy visitors who wont return!!!

The food menu for the day is displayed by the entrance to the dining area and its then your choice if you eat or choose to go out. We did choose to eat out on one night as we did not like the choice of food on offer. I would rather do that than suffer eating food that has no taste or what I consider to be substandard. The service was good and staff busy attending alot of tables and Ewa was a member of staff who was professional and had a great personality.

The lifts are a huge problem at this hotel and I had phoned ahead to shearings after reading some reviews on here that had problems with disablility access. I was given a room close to the lift on the first floor as I did not want to arrive on the Monday to discover I had been given an inappropriate room for our needs. One couple who sat close to us and where wheelchair users too, waited on average 20 mins to gain access to the larger of the two lifts that could just accommodate a wheelchair with someone seated in it!! The larger lift was also used for the cleaners to use and that did cause problems also at busy times. Due to increased disability awareness and independance the lack of lift facilities and the blocked usage for hotel purposes requires re assessment.

The evening entertainment the week we were there was not the usual gentleman as he was on holiday but there was arrangements made. Bingo is the norm every night with acts who are appropriate for the average age of guest. There is table waiter service if you wish to take advantage for it.

When we were there the hotel was clean and tidy and staff were friendly and work hard and a real bonus is that you dont have to worry about your cases as they are taken to the room for you and returned to the coach the morning of departure.

Room Tip: Paying extra for a sea view can make the holiday. If you have require to be on a low floor phone and request this.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Paula M

Paula M. Thamk you for taking the time to put together a great comprehensive review. Great to read you enjoyed the location of the room, the comment made about the doors as been passed on to maintenenace to address. Every effort is made by the hotel reception staff to allocate rooms for the needs of all our guests. However for anyone reading this with medical requirments it is advisable to now contact Shearings Special Help Desk who will assit with the booking and any special requests. Yes Mark was on holiday during that week however a very suitable alternative host was on site to ensure the evening entertainment ran smoothly. Good to read the mention of the table service now provided in the main entertainment area. This is proving to be a real success and something our customers are taking full advantage of. Anyone reading this review please keep in mind this is a large 300 guest hotel.Whilst the lifts can and do get busy its important to remember we have 2 lifts 1 more than most establishments.