“Some tips for you if you stay here.”

Bay Burlington Hotel
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Our trip was a five day Shearing trip starting on the 3rd Feb. My husband is 82 and I am 76, so not sprightly, And I push his wheelchair. Ok. here we go, you can hire scooters and chairs they are delivered to the hotel and can be charged in a lovely big room on special places.When you want to take them out if you go all the way thro the dining room and on the seafront side you will find doors that the staff will help you open onto a ramp, very easy, there are four steps at the main doors,I found in this cold windy weather I could get my husband covered properly before going out.
Our room was 200, we paid extra as it was a standard room + and the only difference between the next room was a better T V.
I was glad we didnt go for a seaview upgrade the rooms at the front were cold, and the hotel ran out of spare heaters to help them, I saw towels jammed in frames to keep the wind out,
I know the weather was bad and feel sure it wasnt the hotels fault.
Take a blanket for your legs if you plan going soon, sitting in the front area can be very cold if you want to read/drink/people watch, its a lot better if you are warm. This is not the time of year for warmth as it is a cold hotel.
The dressing table does not have a lamp/light, I have spoken to the manager re this, so if some-one is asleep and you get up early and want to make a cuppa you wont be able to see unless you put the overhead lights on. I had taken a touch.
Now in this room and I cant speak for the other rooms there was a lovely modern sink.
We couldnt empty the water, I called for the night porter and discovered behind the tap there
is a small lever,you just pull it up. MANAGER. please put a little note there to tell visitors
what to do.
Our bed was comfy, and the radiator had a thermastat so we could adjust it ourselves, this was good, we were cosy at the rear.
You have to order your papers.........
Now shopping, this only applies if you are pushing a wheelchair, The Arndale centre, you turn right and go down the next road, but be aware,there is a slight slope going down to it, which I may add you dont see,that is, until you are coming back and pushing against gale force winds uphill.
Food.........loved it.....service fine......lovely Denise.... breakfast loved the selection that was on display. However couldnt eat the cooked everyday, far too much for us oldies, so on the second day we was didnt even try.
I must add the decor when it is finished ( as the painters were there working every day)
will be lovely very tasteful.
Would I go back, off course, when the weather is better.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear are warmer.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank montoKent
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you montokent for a great informative review. I'm sure many readers will appreciate your comments. I know the weather has been very mean the last couple of weeks however there is no need for any guest to bring a blanket unless required for outdoor use. Most rooms have overhead wall lights separate to the main light so I'm sorry to read this was inconvenient for you. Great feedback regarding the food and service. Thank you once again for your very comprehensive review, much appreciated.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We booked our first coach holiday with Shearings and went to the Burlington Hotel in Eastbourne. Paid £89.00for 4 days and got a good £89,00 worth of holiday. The reception staff and shearing coach driver was very helpful and very polite. The only issue we have was the creaking floorboards in the whole of the hotel, come on Burlington all you need to do is put some talc down in the joints to solve this issue, because people walking across ceiling in rooms is horrendous. Can we also suggest some soundproofing of the dance room since you can hear the noise at least up to the third floor at midnight. But we would like to say it was very good value for money.

Room Tip: For a quiet nights sleep ask for a room on the top floor away from the dance area and the creaking f...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank youmumnag2 for a great review. Always good to read positive feedback. Couldn't agree more, this time of the year our breaks are proving to be excellent value for money as you described. Our entertainment finishes most evenings between 11.30pm - 12.00 , this allows for our customers to have a great evening , whilst not disturbing others. Thanks once again for taking the time to post on line.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

After a very poor start i. e mould on walls and rotting bathroom window frame and no shaver point in room 429 we were eventually moved to room 412 which I must say was extremely comfortable. Good standard of decoration comfortable bed adequate plug sockets and lighting although a little short on drawer space and a lovely sea view. The bar staff worked really hard and endeavoured to get everyone served in the quickest time they could. The meals in the restaurant were also of a good standard and were always hot, again staff worked really hard and never had long to wait in between courses. There was only one member of staff which I thought let the team down and that was Chrissie though other reviewers found her pleasant unfortunately I did not. When I asked for a room change she was quite abrupt and unhelpful and passed me on to another staff member who was very pleasant and did her best to see we had a better room. The only other downside was the lifts as it is a large hotel there are only two lifts, one which holds about 4 people comfortably and the other nicknamed "the coffin" was really tiny only taking two uncomfortably. So having said all that it was a very nice break and in a pleasant hotel which could do with a little TLC in certain rooms

Room Tip: Room 412 has good sea view and is comfortable
2  Thank sandra d

Thank you Sandra D for posting your. I was sorry to read you felt I did not attend to you in more pleasurable manner, I can only attribute this to being an exceptionally busy arrival, hence me asking one of my fantastic team to help with the changes required. However my apologies are offered and I was pleased to read you found my bar team and other staff members pleasant to deal with. As stated in previous reviews I am usually very helpful and I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel to demonstrate how helpful I can be, lets just hope its not a day when five coaches arrive together! Thanks once again for the review

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I have never been on a coach holiday before, I decided to take my Dad to the Burlington Hotel last weekend and we had a great time. We had a great driver and received a warm welcome from the General Manager Chrissie. Breakfast and dinner were very nice and served by great staff. We enjoyed both of our days out, to Lewes with Kevin and Battle with Tony. The bar staff were really friendly and the host Mark was great. There is also free Wifi in the lounge areas. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wanted a stress free weekend in a hotel in a great location. Thank you - looking forward to booking my next holiday.

2  Thank Denise W
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you so much Denise W. for your lovely comments. Great to read you enjoyed your first experience on a coach tour. Lets hope its the start of many more.
Thank again for posting on line.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We visited Eastbourne to attend the TA parade on last Saturday morning. Travelled in heavy rain on Friday and arrived to dry weather. The room (320) was excellent, except the lighting was quite poor and were unable to read. There was no light over the dressing table and at the age of 85 I had to climb under the dressing table to plug in the hot brush for my wife, as there was no other plug nearby. The food and service was excellent, but once again we could not read the menu in the evening due to subdued lighting and poor printing! and had to ask other guests for help. Otherwise a most enjoyable stay and we hope to return again one day soon.

E & M Streete

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cheswycks
BurlingtonEastbourne, General Manager at Bay Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you Cheswyks for leaving a review of a recent stay. Good to read you enjoyed your stay. The comment regarding the print size on the menu is quite valid, should this happen again please just ask at reception where it is able to have the menu enlarged to make it easier for anyone with any difficulties.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

just returned from spending 5 days with a shearings coach holiday 13th to 17th January. we stayed in room 108. this was a very good room with excellent views of the pier and sea. the room was very comfortable and warm (too warm sometimes) food was excellent and service was very good especially Bruno he was like a little whippet running round that dining room. there was no waiting between courses and Bruno was very friendly. the entertainment was very good, and catered to every age group. Mark was an excellent compare with good singing voice and jokes. everyone from the cleaners to top management were good. we have been on quite a few shearings holidays from strathpeffer great Yarmouth, isle of wight, Weymouth and newquay and I can say that the Burlington was by far the best! submitted by mrs Janet Young

Room Tip: room 108 was overlooking the sea and pier, right outside the lift which didn't disturb our sleep...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank youngj1

What a great review from YoungJ1, Thank you. Yes Bruno is very quick around the dining room and I'm glad you were happy with the service he provided. Also nice to read your accommodation met with expectations. To say we are one of the best Shearings hotels you have stayed in is high praise indeed and I know the team will be thrilled to read this review.
Thank you once again for posting on line.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

At £89 for a three day weekend we could find little to complain about. We had a £42 upgrade to a sea view for free and four free drinks each on Sat night. Food was good and plentiful. Room was large with three sea facing windows. Entertainment as expected. Off tomorrow for similar at different hotel for £84.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Two_ronnies

Thanks go to the Two Ronnies for the fantastic review of a recent weekend break. Great to read that the experience at the hotel has led to you book more breaks. Just what's needed at this time of year. Thank you once again
Ps LOVE the tag Photo!