“Top class guest house and a great welcome”
Review of Bassets House

Bassets House
Ranked #12 of 77 Eastbourne B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Top class guest house and a great welcome”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My family met up for the New Year holiday - including our two very young grandchildren. We had three very spacious rooms - all excellently fitted out with ensuites.
The guest house is located on the sea front and we had a great view of the sea and the distant channel traffic. Daytime and nighttime there always seemed to be something of interest.
Our hosts made us very welcome in their huge lounge area - super sea views and a roaring log fire. This is the way a guest house should be - comfortable bedrooms and a feeling that it's home from home.
The final touch from our very friendly hosts was a superb breakfast.

Room Tip: The seaview rooms if you want to be close to the the great history of the country as an island race.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank des d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Couldnt have asked for better people. Very kind. Excellent breakfast. Will be back for a weekend shortly. Lovely. Was a work trip but but felt like a holiday. My work partner eats halal but his vegetarian breakfast was great. Very much apprieciate you going out your way to feed us at such short notice. Great hosts. You will definatly get our business. Digiteck ltd.

• Stayed February 2014
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I booked two double rooms for family members during their stay in Eastbourne.

The guest house benefits from wonderful views and is located right in Eastbourne seafront. There are bus routes located on the main road and the town centre is only a ten minute walk.

The owners are friendly and so welcoming. Nothing is too much trouble - they even had baked homemade biscuits for each room.

Breakfast was fantastic with a wide selection of choices. I must say that the cooked breakfast was particularly delicious.

The rooms were also of a very high quality. Luxurious bed linen, towels and furniture.

I could not recommend this guest house enough. If you are looking for a high quality place to stay in Eastbourne for a reasonable price then look no further. I would not hesitate to book again or to recommend to any of my friends and family.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Sophieeb
Storrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I recently spent a weekend with friends at Basset's. We had a great time! Howard and Catherine, the new owners, could not have been more friendly and accommodating. The breakfast choice was huge and beautifully cooked and the bedrooms were elegantly furnished, the bed so comfortable I actually slept right through! The bathroom was beautifully appointed and everywhere was SPOTLESS. I shall certainly return!

Room Tip: I had the one on the ground floor at the back, it was so comfy. My friends had a lovely bright one a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sue H
Solothurn, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After a year, we came back to Eastbourne to spend a few days in this beautiful town. Of course, we also wanted to come back to Audrey and Wolfgang. Same B&B, other room: last year we were in room 7, this time in room 4. Again: a beautiful lovely decorated room with a stunning seaview. Breakfast is awesome with cereals, fresh cut fruits, yogurts, and then toast, sweeet breads and cooked full English breakfast. Every morning you can choose what you want to eat. Audrey and Wolfgang help and support with their knowledge about this beautiful area around Eastbourne.
It is very close, only a few meters, to the wonderful seaside, where you can walk for more than 4 miles along the promenade.
We really can recommend this beaufitul B&B to everybody and hope, to come back again. Thank you both for your kind hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Audrey H, Owner at Bassets House, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you very much for your review,it was much appreciated.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed at Basset's House for the airshow. Firstly I'll say I'm gutted I was unable to get to know our hosts. One was busy cooking the PERFECT fry up... the other was sadly unwell. But having read the reviews, it was just nice knowing we were staying in the guest house of a charming couple.
The breakfast room is bright and spotlessly clean, and the service was excellent. We were a party of 4, all with different tastes, including one vegetarian. We were all so impressed by the breakfast. We were served by a very helpful, warm, cheery lady. Nothing was too much trouble, and she made us feel so welcome. So the start to the day couldn't be better. The house is only a 15 or so minute walk along the sea front to the pier.
Our bedroom was on the top floor with a beautiful view looking out to the sea. No balcony unlike the room below, but why sit on the balcony when you are a 2 minute walk from the sea?
Our friends had the room below with the balcony so I had a nosey around to make sure it was to the same high standard as my room. And it was. Both immaculately clean, spacious, and more than enough storage space.
Smoking is banned even on the balcony, which is ideal because the smoke would definately go into the room above making it smell too.
One thing i will say, is if you need a firmer bed, go for the top floor. If you like it very soft, then the room below will be your best bet.
The bathrooms were spotless, our room had a large shower which is always a bonus.
If you do stay in the front room on the top floor, slam the left hand window in the day, dont do what I did and find out at midnight it doesn't close easilly... I scared my friends to death :).
I'm going to pass on the airshow for a few years now, but I will finish my review by saying one thing...I will ALWAYS be comparing anywhere I stay to Basset's House.

Audrey and Wolfgang, thank you, It was our pleasure!

Room Tip: Firm bed and view, Room 7 Bouncy bed, view, and balcony... room 4
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Audrey H, Owner at Bassets House, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Hi,

Thank you very much for your kind review, it was much appreciated.
Audrey and Wolfgang
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Very clean, breakfast plentiful and quality, the sea view room is really beautiful, although a little noisy. The owners friendly and helpful. Also located in a very convenient location to reach the seven sister and Beachi Head. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family