“An excellent stay”
Review of Bassets House

Bassets House
Ranked #9 of 77 Eastbourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A longish stay in excess of two weeks. The new onners are very friendly and helpful.
Being winter there were very few other guests. The property had been refurbished and my room was most comfortable. I booked from my home in New Zealand and have no hesitation in recommending Bassets as a great place to stay in Eastbourne.

Room Tip: sea facing is best
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Bassets House

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Short two night stay at Basset House for a golf weekend , the new owners are just delightful lovely people who deserve success. The rooms are excellent and spotlessly clean, the breakfast outstanding. Lovely lounge at the front of the house with views of the sea and just a 10 minute walk to Eastbourne pier and town centre.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

My wife and I spent a very relaxing long weekend at Bassets. Our hosts, Howard and Catherine, were very friendly and welcoming.

We had no problem finding free street parking just around the corner and apart from a trip out to Birling Gap we left the car there all weekend because the pier, shopping area and restaurants were all about 10 to 15 minutes walk away. As for the beach, it is just 100 yards down the path directly facing the the guest house.

We stayed in room 4, which has a big bay window and a balcony overlooking the sea. I sat on the balcony one morning taking in the sunshine with a cup of coffee and had a grandstand view of the half marathon which was taking place. I imagine it would be a great lazy spot from which to watch the airshow in summer.

Our room was pleasant enough for us to just sit and relax if we wished, but Bassets also has a large guest lounge with comfy sofas which we also took advantage of.

The choice for breakfast was ample and I went for the full English on the first morning. The next morning I tried the lighter but equally tasty option of Howard's special poached egg on crumpets. Lovely.

I would recommend this place any time you just want to be made to feel welcome and chill out.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Last weekend, having attended a wedding near Eastbourne, we decided to extend our stay for a couple of days as the weather was so fantastic.
Having driven along Royal Parade we booked into Bassets House as it looked very inviting.
We were not disappointed. Our hosts, Howard & Catherine were most welcoming and helpful.
They recommended excellent places to eat within walking distance of the guest house.
The facilities were excellent and the breakfasts were fantastic.
We particularly enjoyed reading the papers after breakfast in the comfortable guest lounge.
We did not want to leave after just a couple of days.
We are both looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

My partner and I stayed recently at Basset's, and had a lovely time. The house and hosts are very welcoming, and the standard of the rooms is very high. Breakfast was delicious - I recommend Howard's special - and I can imagine sitting out on the deck in the sunshine in the summer will be wonderful!!

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My Husband & I decided to extend our stay in Eastbourne for a couple of days as a result of the most inclement weather in recent memory.
We were most fortunate to book into Bassets House and found our hosts, Catherine & Howard, most welcoming.
Our sea view room and ensuite were of an excellent standard including towelling, bed linen and toiletaries.
On arrival we were very plesantly surprised to find ourselves being invited to use the very elegant and comfortable guest sitting room with blazing log fire and comfortable sofas. -home from home .
We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts cooked to prefection by Howard.

We are so looking forward to our next return visit.

Room Tip: All the rooms are of the same high standard but rooms 4 & 6 ( previously room 7) have sea views...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Basset's guest house with our old friends Howard and Catherine. Despite atrocious weather our hosts contrived to ensure our stay was perfect: from the smart and spacious rooms to the delicious breakfast. The house is indeed elegant with every facility available. We are certainly looking forward to our next stay at this first rate place.

Room Tip: The rooms at the sea side are wonderful.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends