“An Absolute Bargain”

Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Manchester UK
“An Absolute Bargain”
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I booked the hotel directly after seeing it advertised on Laterooms. Although I didn't get it any cheaper than LR I do like the fact that the hotels/guesthouses pay no commissions and het to keep your cash for themselves.
I paid £29 a night (single) and to be honest I didn't expect much for that price. I was pretty damned impressed when I turned up at a bright, modern decorated hotel with great service and free wi-fi. I was even more impressed when I got to my room which was clean and cosy with a great bed (double) and downright delighted next morning when I went down for breakfast and got a right feast with cereals, juices, coffee and a full english breakfast with waiter service. I booked the room for another two nights and had a great stay.

Thanks to the management and staff for a great value and very comfortable stay.

PS: If you go behind the hotel the side streets are free for parking.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Dean M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I booked on lastminute.com with my boyfriend and got a relly good deal. Had a sea view from the room, which was amazing! Room was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included and was substantial and kept us going well. Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I needed a last minute dog friendly hotel for a weekend away with my parents and found this hotel on late rooms.com, i was a bit sceptical concidering the previous reviews on here but it was my only choice so i had to bite the bullet and go for it. To be honest im not sure why so many people have such negative things to say concidering the price is what iw ould expect. The hotel is right on the sea front and if you take into concideration the other hotels in this area the riviera is deffinately the most valuable in terms of price. Both myself and my parents had a view of a wall from the neighbouring building but that didn't really bother us as we just wanted a bed for the night not somewhere to sit and stare at the sea. (For £10 extra you can have a sea view if you really want it!)

I agree with a previous review that the rooms were incredibly hot, and if you do have the window open you will be woken up quite ceremoniously by the seagulls at 5am - that being said it didn't take me long to get back to sleep anyway.

I also noticed that someone else had issues with the tv...conveniently placed in the most useless spot, which i spent forever trying to figure out how to swivel into view (it doesn't..you literally have to sit on the foot of the bed if you fancied watching it)

The breakfast is average but appreciated nonetheless, we never had dinner there.

Parking is an issue £4 for 8 hours if you want to be outside the hotel (though i didnt fancy running out to top it up in the middle of the night) - there are free spaces but it takes a keen eye to spot them.

All in all i can see there are negatives but if your looking for somewhere just to sleep for the night its good value. Only 20 mins from brighton (which in comparison to brighton beachfront hotel prices is a good thing) and some lovely restaurants a short walk away.

Also appreciated that the hotel was dog friendly (if you want to take your dog with you - the lamb inn pub is a great place to go for a meal - highly reccommended!)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Our room was quite basic but had flat screen tv that was placed in the corner by the window so to watch it you had to sit in the wardrobe. It looked out on to the back of the hotel which was on a very busy road. Lorries coaches and cars going by until the early hours when the sea gulls took over. It was impossible to close the window as the room was so hot as no air con. We only had two nights entertainment out of four and after the first night we didn't bother with the other night as that one was such rubbish. Food was good on the whole breakfast very early 8am. Towels were changed but no toiletries and were sparse with the tea bags etc. 10p each if you wanted more.

• Stayed July 2010

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We booked a room through Laterooms. Fine when we turned up. We were told we had booked a seaview room but when we turned up they demanded extra money and we refused so had a direct view of a dirty wall. We decided to dine out so specifically asked the barman if they had a late bar. We were told categorically that if we came back late we could get a drink at the bar as residents. Went out for a lovely mexican meal ( junction road ) and then came back to the hotel at 10.45, had one drink and then we were refused anymore alcohol as the night porter shut the bar at 11. When we complained we were directed to the "minibar " in our room. 2 cans of lager and a soft drink. Staff couldn't have been more unhelpful. We left before breakfast the next morning and after our complaint they refunded some of our money.The Riviera said they couldn't serve alcohol after 11pm. The week before we stayed at the Langham ( just up the road ). Same price and a wonderful night porter who served drink ( alcohol and non alcohol ) all night to residents with a smile. I know who I would go back to.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Eastbourne_Riviera, Manager at Eastbourne Riviera Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
Thank you for your feedback.
The Laterooms.com room rate charges are discounted and allow for standard accommodation. Sea view requests are subject to availability and additional charges. All policies are clearly shown at the time of booking.
With regards to Licensing 2003 restrictions the hotel is centrally located and is in the middle of a residential area which defines the bar opening hours set by the Eastbourne Borough Council that we strictly adhere to. Relevant notice in large font is displayed in the bar area along with the License Summary.
The reception is open 24 hrs and any guests wishing to take advantage of late night opening venues in the proximity of the hotel can certainly do so.
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail eastbourneriviera@yahoo.co.uk
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My mother and her partner stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. They had found the food quite nice and the accommodation to be what you would expect from a budget hotel but when they went to pack up their belongings their idea of the hotel changed. My mother couldn't find her MP3 player and so moved all the furniture around in the room to check underneath, with no success. Thinking nothing of it, my mother informed the Manager that the MP3 player was missing. As my mother was eating breakfast a cleaner checked the room and apparently found the player under the bed - this is impossible as we checked under the beds very thoroughly. To add to my doubt, the MP3 player had been emptied of all of the music on it and the charging plug (which would never have fit under the bed) was not returned. When we told the Manager he just rubbed his chin and said 'how strange'. He obviously intends to do nothing about this so if you want to keep all of your belongings then I would suggest that you book a different hotel.

• Stayed July 2010
Thank you for your feedback.
We are sorry that your mother’s experience was spoilt by the incident on departure.
In the last two years we have not had any theft reports and following your initial query and online feedback we are closely monitoring the situation.
Every effort is made to ensure the safety of our guests in the hotel.
Safes are provided in every room for depositing valuable items.
From a psychological point of view it is unlikely that somebody taking an item with a malicious intent would return it in a damaged state.
Should you have any further queries or information please kindly advise us on eastbourneriviera@yahoo.co.uk
London
Reviewed 9 June 2010

when we arrived the first thing a noticed was that the reception and the bar were one and the same thing. I also noticed how modern the bar and seating area was. This oled me to think that the rooms would be like this also, especially as it boasts about having a flat screen telly in everyroom (which is true). However after walking up the stairs (as no one told me about the lift and i could not find it initially) and entering my very small room what i noticed was that it was like every other basic hotel with a nice fridge. No toilettries though. It was okay. Sleeping though was very hard, it has no air con so you have to open the windows and its on a very noisy street, drunks, cars, lorries, and birds is what you hear through the night. We stayed two days and our towels were never replaced and ourbin was not emptied, our bed was made though. Breakfast is nice although not much choice. The staff are friendly and it is clean but if you want basic i'd try the travel lodge next door!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your valuable and constructive feedback.
We are endeavoring to improve the hotel facilities and any spare finances are deposited back into the hotel refurbishment programme.
With regards to the street noise unfortunately there is not a lot we can do as all the windows are already double glazed. The hotel is centrally located on the Eastbourne sea front and whilst it allows our guests easy access to the beach and Eastbourne town centre the shortcomings of urban area are inevitable.
Air conditioning is not common in the UK and we do not show it as part of room facilities.
We review room cleaning practices thoroughly. All rooms are inspected on a regular basis to ensure cleanliness standards are maintained throughout.
If you have any further queries or suggestions please kindly contact us on eastbourneriviera@yahoo.co.uk