“2 night stay”

Eastbourne Riviera Hotel
Ranked #31 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
“2 night stay”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We have had a drink in this hotel before and always thought that from the look of the downstairs bar area / reception/ restaurant it would be nice to stay here for a change as we visit Eastbourne a lot. The good points are -the breakfast (we ate out in the evenings so can't comment on the lunch /dinner meals) the outside seating area when the weather is good and the location. Unfortunately, there are some things that let it down and could do with changing / improving - a greeting when arriving with a smile would be nice, not just rushed info and immediate payment taken / customer service with a smile in the restaurant area, remove the bedspread and blanket (too old fashioned for my liking) and replace with a duvet (this would improve the smell of the room also as once we stripped these off the bed and aired under the window the "old" smell seemed a little better, we paid extra for a sea view room but it was a very cramped room. We were a little disappointed with our stay here and it is a shame that the modern feel downstairs has not been extended upstairs too, this would really make a difference. Also our room was not cleaned on the Saturday even though when we left to go out at about 11.45am I put the "please clean room " on the door handle outside. Would we stay here again? - no I don't think so which is a shame, as it could be very nice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sindy S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at the Eastbourne Riviera Hotel in mid-June.
The hotel is situated right on the sea front, and is a short walking distance from the town centre and pier.
We had paid extra for a sea view, and the room was clean and tidy. The bed was very large (king I think) and comfortable with extra pillows in the wardrobe.
The bathroom was clean but the shower was an issue for me. I am 6' tall and the shower and screen was only 5' high at best. The water pressure also dropped out a couple of times.
The breakfast was nice enough but was not self service. You have to ask for cereal, fruit juices, toast etc. I prefer self service but that's just me I guess.
The staff were polite and helpful especially as we didn't come in from our night out until 1am.
I'd recommend this hotel for an overnight stay in Eastbourne.

Finally if you arrive by car, I'd recommend that you stop in the loading bay outside, and pop into reception to buy a parking ticket first. It'll cost you only one pound, and then you can park anywhere on the seafront until 11am on the following day.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barrie W
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I think I was put into a budget single room, it was at the back of the hotel overlooking a busy road. I arrived after 7pm and was immediately informed that the restaurant closed at 8pm. No offer of help with the bags, no guide to the room. Time for a shower, but needed to unpack as shower gel was not provided. Refreshed, down for dinner, big portions, couldn't clear my plate.
Sleep was very disturbed. Hot summer night, no aircon meant windows open, lots of rowdy drunks until 3am. Bed was OK.
Breakfast was not as described, no offer of cereal, just fruit juice and a cooked breakfast, the scrambled eggs were not of a good standard. The toast was made of very cheap and tasteless bread, horrible. Would I stay there again, no thanks.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank RJandJBW
Bridport
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Conveniently located for my 5 night stay to be near to hand for my Mum's annual trip to Eastbourne. Enormous omelette (too much but nice), generous breakfasts - this chef does a good job. Clean room and bathroom, noisy in the back rooms, I had requested a quiet one which didn't happen for the first night, but they did offer me a choice of rooms and relocated with no fuss. The staff do not appear particularly happy, and the older man (? owner) is far too quick to state what they are not going to do-in my case I'm gluten-free, apparently they are not capable of accomodating this dietary need. A more positive attitude would go down well and might make staff and guests feel better!

Room Tip: Chose a room facing east or the sea, not at the back of the hotel unless you like the noise of '...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RubyBridport
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed with friends for 1 night in this hotel. We had booked two twin rooms with sea views. The rooms were clean with a double and single bed and a lovely view overlooking the beach. The breakfast was nice and cooked to order so nothing was cold. We checked out at 11am but wished to have another walk around Eastbourne before we travelled home. The receptionist said we could leave our luggage in the hotel, which was very helpful as we had travelled to Eastbourne by train. I would suggest if staying at this hotel a sea front room is booked as I gather most of these rooms are larger than some of the rooms at he back of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JTR77
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights in late April 2014.
Conveniently located and the parking pass system that allows parking on the road in front is good value, but it applies to all hotels.
We had 3 rooms. All were at the back which actually fronts a busy road so it was noisy early in the mornings especially when the refuse trucks were collecting. There was also some strange corridor noise early one morning. the rooms were of differing sizes and standards of furnishing. So its pot luck what you get.
English breakfast was good but the dining room lacked atmosphere and would not have been a good place for an evening meal.
Staff were fairly friendly although the desk was not always staffed. The hotel was clean although the main ground floor toilets seemed to be out of order.
Probably reasonable value for UK at this time of year.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are probably quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DMH99
West Sussex
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked this hotel as a last minute getaway through booking.com.

On arrival we were greeted with a very unfriendly manner from the receptionist , we gave her our booking reference form which we were told to present on arrival she replied i don`t want that i want your name & then she said pay now - I could not believe my ears.

We were given the key to room 143- on entering we realised we had made a big mistake coming here !!!!!!!! The room was so small it was Claustrophobic as was the shower - the bed was a small 4ft bed & the most uncomfortable bed i had ever slept in.
We found dirty laundry shoved in the bedside cabinet , cigarette burns in the net curtains & the main curtain was only one curtain & not a pair of curtains & this hardly covered the window !!!!!!! the outlook from the window was disgusting . We had to ask for towels as we only had hand towels & when given towels again they were hand towels !!!!! Have you tried drying yourself with a hand towel
Please take our advise & do not be tempted to stay here at all , the value deal is not value at all, we were unable to sleep as the bed was so hard, the headboard was a Piece of MDF screwed to the wall & there was one chair in the room which was uncomfortable too, you would have more room in a caravan bedroom & shower . DO NOT BOOK

Room Tip: Do Not Book
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank julietwheresromeo

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels