“Great sea views”

Eastbourne Riviera Hotel
Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Booked a double room with sea view and wasn't disappointed. Stayed night of 17th Aug 2014 which was the last day of Eastbourne Airborne show, arrived very early at 10AM and hotel obviously very busy checking other guests out. Reception staff very helpful and accommodating, furnished us with a parking permit for just £1 so we could rest easy on that score.
Couldn't check in till 2PM (quite normal) so watched air display and checked in around 5PM, again reception were helpful and pleasant, our room was bright and airy, everything clean and tidy, a reasonable size and the sea view didn't disappoint. Fabulous, could see waves crashing on the beach, far horizon and spit of Sussex cliffs about 10 to 15 miles away! Good sized LED flat screen TV and small fridge.
Breakfast couldn't be faulted, full English perfectly cooked as was their cheese omelet, Earl Grey tea for me, toast and preserves, perfect friendly service. Omelet was HUGE by the way, couldn't finish it.
Shower over bath placed a little low, no hairdryer in room and windows could have been cleaner are only criticisms. NOT noisy, hotel full and heard nobody, read other reviews and may depend what room you end up in! We had room 231, would ask for it again. Steve & Shirley X

Room Tip: Room 231 is where we stayed and recommend it if you'd like a good sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve M

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My sister and I have a holiday together every year and this year decided on Eastbourne. I picked this hotel at random from a booking website and we were not disappointed. We had booked a sea view room and were very pleasantly surprised when we opened the door to a really spacious, well-appointed room with two large windows giving a splendid view over a balcony to the sea. I live close to the sea (Herne Bay in Kent) but for my sister this was a real treat. The staff were unfailingly pleasant and helpful, the breakfasts (we booked on a B&B basis) were very good. Our room was kept very clean and the hotel was generally well-kept and of a good standard. We had only one disappointment and that was when we decided to have dinner there on the first night. When it came, the food was excellent but the wait was bordering on unacceptable - we didn't time it but it must have been over half an hour from ordering before my starter appeared. This was disappointing and we did decide against eating our evening meal there again. Apart from that one thing, we had no complaint whatever and would be happy to recommend the Eastbourne Riviera.

Room Tip: All I can say is that our choice of a sea view room gave us a wonderful view which was well worth pa...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JuneB23
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I was put in a room not dissimilar to a prison cell (not that I have knowledge of this !). A tiny window high up on the wall, not reachable. A tiny bed which the bathroom door banged into. Walls so thin you could hear people opening and closing drawers and everything else you can imagine. Very noisy!!! The bed smelt of old urine too. Very unpleasant.
I had booked for two nights and didn't have a great nights sleep so at 6.30 I went to the reception to ask politely if I could change rooms. I was aggressively asked why, and told my reasons were not acceptable. He then marched me upstairs and into the room to see if he could smell anything... He stood there shouting. I am a lady on my own and was quite afraid. I didn't then feel comfortable staying there, so packed and left at 6.45 with no where to go, the owner showed no concern. He charged me for both nights whilst shouting at me and calling me a liar. Nice. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels with my job and NEVER experienced rudeness like this . Luckily I am now in a beautiful Eastbourne hotel.... Phew!!

• Stayed: August 2014
12  Thank pieeater22
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed one night on way back from Hastings& found following.
Excellent location right on front 100 yards from Pier ( we stayed night after fire) Parked car for 24 hours for £1.00 after being offered special coupon to display on dashboard with hotels name on , a great idea. Our room faced the sea & was spotlessly clean & comfortable.
Seagulls a bit noisy & traffic but still all fine, Friendly waitress at breakfast, may I suggest Tea in individual Teapots rather than an Urn ,we breakfasted early with one other family so were pleasantly surprised to find about 30 people having their breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear may be slightly quieter but you will sacrifice sea view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David B
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Booked this hotel to accommodate 8 adults and 4 children ,on arrival at the reception the receptionist was not very helpful in the booking in process and later on asked for some coffees to our table when they where ready was told to collect them yourself .The rooms were very noisy from traffic and other guest talking as the walls where paper thin ,double glazing would help and air conditioning .the only thing I could recommend was the breakfast and location .Sorry would not use again .

Room Tip: all the rooms my family where in not that good
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank roger t
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights in June.

On the positive side the hotel is in a great location, right by the seafront, and well placed for a pleasant stroll in to the town or to the tennis at Devonshire Park. The Wi-Fi also works very well I found.

On the negative the single room I stayed in was very small, the bed was positioned in such a way so as to make it only just possible to properly open the bathroom door.

Overall it was an average experience, fine for a short stay though if I was planning to stay for longer I would probably choose elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GPW83
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights they couldnt give us a twin room I was with my 21 year old granddaughter so they gave us the family room for the first night, we went to the receptionist the next morning and she told us we could have 2 double rooms for the same price, nice, the room I had was very small no hair dryer, when we went down to reception the next morning we got told off by the man on reception as if we were children, he was very rude to us he was ranting and raving all because they gave us 2 rooms instead of us putting up with sharing a double room, we did say if they had a large double we would have a put up bed but they had no large rooms.I have never had such a rude person on reception, and i travel a lot.

Room Tip: best tip is another hotel lots near
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family