“Better than I thought”

Ranked #29 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
merseyside
“Better than I thought”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Travelled with Shearings for a 5 day all inclusive break to Bay Majestic on 28th October. I was rather worried due to some of the previous reviews but for us everything turned out well. Our room 112 was small and did not have a sea view, but, it was clean and comfortable with enough storage space, only grumble at night the lighting was a little inadequate for putting make up on but not a big deal. Also with being on the first floor we had no need to use the infamous lifts!!The shower in bathroom was small but spotlessly clean and was adequate enough for us. The food was much improved on the last bay hotel we stayed in, the waiting staff were run off their feet, we had Roland who was very efficient indeed remembered all our orders without writing them down. The entertainment was better some nights than others one night in particular seemed to cater for the older guests when actually some younger ones were staying there as well. The compare Paul was good, and, the final nights entertainment that he did himself was very enjoyable indeed, we also had 4 free drinks each in our package so this did come in very handy. Taking everything into consideration we had a good break, everyone from our driver Tony to all of the hotel staff were very friendly indeed.

2 Thank amberpop
MajesticManager, Manager at Bay Majestic Eastbourne Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you amberpop for posting your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your holiday. I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff, especially Roland, Tony and Paul who I know will be pleased to hear. Not much more for me to say except thank you for such a fair review and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Just back from fri to mon break travelled with shearings only paid £99 for three nights bed breakfast and evening meal plus a day excursion to brighton so we weren't expecting the ritz but were pleasantly surprised . Plus side public areas of hotel had obviously been recently decorated , lots of seating in large windows overlooking the sea , food well cooked and presented and tasty with some interesting choices , staff on the whole cheerful and helpful , bedroom and shower room clean and water piping hot , only 5 mins walk to pier and 15 mins or so into town . Down side bedroom could be described as bijou , view from window a back yard and scaffolding and its been a long time since Ive slept in a bed with sheets and blankets not a duvet although the bed was very comfy . Prices at the bar were a bit steep £15 for a bottle of bog standard wine which was on promotion at £4 off so should have been nearly £20 . Needless to say we chose to walk into town 2 of the 3 nights we stayed . All in all my sister and I had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and would stay at the majestic again and would choose shearings again .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan P
MajesticManager, Manager at Bay Majestic Eastbourne Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you Susan P for posting your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your holiday. It is good to hear comments about the new public areas. Hopefully if you return in the future you will notice other changes we have planned to the hotel. Not much more I can add except we look forward to welcoming you in the future and thank you again for a great review.
manchester
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Just returned from this hotel, after a lovely weekend, now to answer some of the recent reviews, yes some of the hotel really needs updating, however the bar and lounge have been renovated and looks quite nice and bright, some of the bedrooms need up grading our bedroom had been and was comfy, bed comfortable, Staff great, barman lovely and had remembered us wish I had asked his name, Kate what a little star, not only very cheerful and happy but put up with people moaning with a smile. great location. we paid peanuts for transport, bed breakfasts and evening meals, also trips thrown in, also our driver Craig excellent, if you want to pay more for these weekends perhaps national holidays could invest more !!, think about it !! we visit Eastbourne regular to see our family and will continue to use both the Majestic and Burlington hotels, thank you to all staff for a lovely weekend.

1 Thank christmasmanchester
Thank you christmasmanchester for a great review. Don’t think there is much I can say to this. It is always great to hear from guests who have enjoyed their time with us. I will agree with you, Kate is definitely a star and one of our best waiters, she will be so pleased to hear your comments. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed for four nights, and experienced the quite basic of hotels. The 2 lifts were very small, each holding 2 people comfortably, 4 very cramped, and don't mention luggage. The lifts are old, and, on one occasion, got stuck between floors, forcing us to activate the alarm. The lifts just couldn't cope with the continual pressing of the floor selection button. For anyone with a severe disability problem, KEEP AWAY. The bedroom was okay, but the bathroom required a refit. If I had been a little bit wider, I would have been unable to squeeze into the shower, so some average built people would have to forgo the pleasure until they returned home. (Not an ideal situation to be in). The central heating was continually on, and the radiator thermostat was not working, so for the first two nights we fried. Having gone to reception to complain, I found others there who had experienced the same fate. We were told that the heating would now be turned off at nights, which it was, and the remaining nights were okay, except that, of the three windows, one was able to be opened, but only by about six inches. The dining area in the basement, was very cramped, plus, the tables appeared to be not quite up to the standard size, which meant, when the four seats were occupied, there was little room for the required tableware, and one could compare it with having a meal in an airplane, economy class.
I am always guided by first impressions of hotels. In this case the broken and patched floor tiles on the entrance steps didn't help. This experience only confirms the old saying, 'You only get what you pay for', and for what we paid, I suppose I shouldn't expect more. It's a pity that a lot of hotels don't allow for a realistic maintenance cost into their yearly budget, but, in this economic climate, not knowing what tomorrow will bring, they're more interested in the bottom line of profit, rather than spending on property upkeep.
My overall view - For what you pay, don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed. If you've a walking disability - KEEP AWAY !! Happy holiday.

Room Tip: Apply for a suitable bathroom, and a room were windows can be opened.
1 Thank Raymond D
Thank you Ramond D for posting your review. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy some aspects of your holiday. Our lifts are extremely busy during peak time in a large hotel such as this, fortunately we have two. I am pleased to hear however that the room was ok for you. All shower cubicles entrances are a standard size so I was a little concerned you felt yours was small. The heating in the hotel is controlled centrally. Due to the erratic weather temperatures we were having at the time it was difficult to get this just right, as one night the temperature would drop drastically and the next was mild, We turned the heating on but as you stated we turned it back off when we were informed it was too hot. We have a refurbishment programme in place at the hotel and our front steps are due to done but I take on board your comments.
Great Bookham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Majestic for 2 nights from 19th to 21st October. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the facilites were fine and the food was very good and plentiful. Etremely good value for money.

When we arrived, we found that the toilet in our room did not flush, so we were re-located to a different room - twin beds rather than a double but that was all that was available.

The TV in this room (304) simply did not work!! We would choose a channel and the signal would drop out every few seconds, so we gave up trying.

On our last day, we were rather disconcerted when, at 08:40am there was a knock on the door from housekeeping and they just came straight in. I was in the shower at the time and my wife was getting dressed!! My wife explained that we had the room until 10:00am but the same person came back and entered the room again ten minutes later. Fortunately, by that time we were BOTH dressed, which was lucky for all concerned. I mentioned it to Reception and they assured us that this should not have happened.

Those two issues apart, a very enjoyable break and a great hotel location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you Neil C for posting your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We aim to provide comfortable accommodation at affordable prices and on this occasion I am pleased to hear we succeeded. It is always good to hear guests commenting on the staff so thank you and I will be sure to pass your comments on to them. I am sorry to hear you were disturbed on departure morning and I have now spoken to the housekeeper, so this should no longer happen. Thank you again for posting such a fair review and we hope to see you again in the future.
Sandy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We had a sea view room that was passable, miserable bathroom, with a narrow glass shelf most unsuitable.

The dining room is in the basement down two flights of stairs, no lift, dimly lit ,more like a world war two underground shelter. tables much too small, no room on them, and tightly packed to-gether, as for the food, being vegetarian very limited choice (curry) after consultation with a very helpful receptionist, she ordered omelette's for us, but, that would have been fine had the cook/chef known how to cook one, it arrived like a sheet of rubber, just fit for the bin, vegetables over cooked just mush.

The breakfast was acceptable, not dripping in grease and we were told cooked by a Hungarian chef. maybe he could give the evening cook/chef a few lessons.
The waitress Kate was a delight, nothing was too much trouble, always had a big smile.

Would we return to Shearings in the future, NEVER.

Room Tip: Don't think any are worth a mention.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Derek F
Thank you Derek F for posting your review. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy some aspects of your holiday. We have a vegetarian option on our menu each evening and we also have a vegetarian choice on our supplement menu so I am sorry to hear you feel you did not have enough choice. Generally our guests are happy with the choice and variety of the menu but I will pass your comments to our chef concerning the omelette you had. I am glad however that you enjoyed breakfast and I will be sure to pass your comments on to Kate, who I know will be pleased to hear them.

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I recently took a 5 day break with Shearings holidays. This was one of the worst holidays I have taken, and I wont be taking one with them again.

There were several aspects of the hotel that were very unsatisfactory.

On arrival to our room, we found the toilet was leaking, we reported it to reception, a young man came with a pile of towels to mop it up, he said the plumber would come the next day, which he did, he did a bodged job and 3 days later it was pouring out, we phoned reception again and were told to throw the towels on the floor!!!

The shower was a nitemare, there were two large sharp panes of glass with a ripped curtain, the gap to get in was about 2ft wide, and as a person with a mobility problem this made getting in and out of the shower very difficult for me. There was no window and no extractor that worked. The hot tap in the sink had to be turned on fully before any water would come out of it, we wondered if it would even turn off!!! The cold tap just trickled out when it was turned on fully..!!!

The window in our room had a very large crack in it, so we felt it was unsafe to open.

The lifts were awful and only came up when they felt like it, and often just went up and down on their own.

The food was reasonable, although the staff were running around and seemed to have no method. We were often left to last despite being there before some of the other guests. Also it seemed no-one had any first aid training or that there was no first aider on site, one lady had a fit and the members of staff were just standing there staring at her, whilst her husband and one of the guests sorted it out.

As this was my first trip with Shearings, sadly I feel it will be my last.

Room Tip: The only room that worth having would be either overlooking the sea or on the ground floor, in order...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
54 Thank ann p
Thank you ann p for posting your review. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us and I will look into your comments concerning the room although all shower cubicle entrances are of a standard size. The Lifts do get busy at peak times in a large hotel such as this. I was concerned to read your comments about first aiders as we do have designated trained staff within the hotel as I know one did attended to the lady in question. All reviews are important to us and determine how we can improve our hotels so thank you again for posting yours.