“Excellent base for Eastbourne visit”
Review of Vernon Guesthouse

Vernon Guesthouse
Ranked #34 of 77 Eastbourne B&B and Inns
DantheRev
“Excellent base for Eastbourne visit”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We have just got back from Eastbourne for a weekend break with another couple and found Eastbourne to be a hidden gem. When looking for a hotel we only wanted a room to crash for the night that was clean and comfortable and this is exactly what we got and more.
The owners were extremely hospitable, the room was very very comfortable and clean and was cleaned thoroughly daily. It was a friendly family guesthouse that was very good value for money.
Everything in Eastbourne is within easy walking distance of the hotel as it is minutes from the main street and pier. It was an advantage it was just behind the front though as we stayed for the Airshow weekend and the front was very busy and noisy. The bar in the basement isnt an issue as stated by the previous poster as it is two floors below the rooms and there was never any noise from there while we stayed
I will go to Eastbourne again and I would be more than happy to stay at the Vernon House.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We stayed at the hotel for a week and judging by previous reviews we expected a lovely time. Apparently the hotel has been taken over in recent times which may explain the problems we encountered. The german shepherd is still there and yes it does go into the kitchen quite freely. The 'private' bar is in the basement and is frequented by anybody who wishes to enter from the street - hence not private at all. The rooms were very clean and pleasant but as another review has mentioned, meal times were awful. We were given 1 spoon which was to be used for soup and our pudding. We did mention this to management at the start of our stay but it wasn't until the last but one night that an extra was supplied. Also portions are minute and a chicken dinner consisted of 1x chicken drumstick, 1x chicken wing and veg which was soggy (and quite obviously frozen not fresh). We were informed that the last chef walked out at christmas and that this one hasn't yet mastered how to roast beef!! This information was from a staff member.All in all there were several complaints and negative issues raised in the time we were there so we would advise that people think long and hard before booking to avoid the experience we had.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank panda2511
VHHE, Owner at Vernon Guesthouse, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
AVOID PROFESSIONAL COMPLAINERS..!!!!

At Vernon House Hotel we take any complaint very serious and we also change anything if necessary for the benefit of the customer, we also dismiss customer that for they own reasons they want to hurt us.

This customer forgot to mention that SHE/HE SOILED THE MATTRESS and we have to put a new one.

They also are PROFESSIONAL COMPLAINERS so they can have a free holiday from the coach tour.
1- To use the same spoon for the soup and for ice cream, it’s laughable. NO TRUE
2- The bar is open to many customers, many are here for the all year, and we can not have it exclusive for one week coach tour.
3- Personally I bought this hotel 6 years ago, so where this gossip does come from that I was here recently?
4- Finally on the food, I open the restaurant door every morning and every evening so why this customer has not mentioned to me that she/he was not happy with the food? And only can write about it on the Internet.
5- As I mentioned many times myself, my wife, my daughter and all members of the staff eat the same food as every customer every day.
6- This customer has never seen my German shepherd and she/He borrowed the comment from previous dismissed chef.
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Very welcoming, room was clean and tidy - exactly what I expected for the cost ,which was very reasonable!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2011

My girlfriend and I have just spent the weekend in Eastbourne and our stay at this hotel was brilliant. We were welcomed at reception by the owner and his docile dog. We were provided with our parking ticket (only £3 for the day) and shown to our room.

We stayed in room 3 - very clean, spacious room on the first floor. The bed was comfy, the bathroom looked brand new and the shower was lovely. The only minor thing was the noisy water pump everytime we used the shower / sink / toilet. I believe these pumps are quite common in older buildings to maintain good water pressure. I couldn't hear it in any other rooms, but when the girlfriend got up in the middle of the night, the noise nearly gave me a heart attack!

In the morning we had a scrummy cooked breakfast - cooked to order. The owners dog was lying down outside of the dining area (I guess as a result of other reviews on here!)

All in all this is a lovely hotel where we felt very welcome and had a great nights rest!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Cockburn Town, Grand Turk
Reviewed 31 December 2010

As per the majority of reviews here, yes room clean and comfortable, as was the rest of the hotel.

What really let down the management, was that they have a very large dog (German Shepard, I think) which they allow to wonder around the hotel. Being British, of course I am a dog lover, I do however draw the line at dogs being allowed to enter the restaurant area - which it does (god only knows if it goes into the kitchen as well, which is on view from the restaurant) Dog hairs with my breakfast, no thanks (Many hairs around restaurant area, even on chairs). Shame, this simple point really lets the place down. I believe the owners are non English - perhaps they have different rules and ideas, they really should however get with the program in the UK to avoid future reviews like this.

Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank JBCT081
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2010

This is likely to be one of the most friendly hospitable hotels you will stay in. The accomodation is very comfortable (beds make for a very good restful sleep). My room was of a high standard of cleanliness - and taking a shower was a good experience too (these appeared to be brand new with plenty of nice shower water pressure). A cooked breakfast each morning supplied the necessary energy for the days adventure (and yes the food is cooked at the moment asked for - so is always hot and fresh, lovely)...

No complaints whatsover and will certainly stay here next year and recommend to my friends and relatives.

Well done on an excellent hotel and the friendliness and hospitallity.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jezcoker
London
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We stayed at the Vernon House Hotel on Saturday. Upon arrival we received a warm welcome from the owner. I was immediately struck by the cleanliness of the hotel which is always number one on my list of priorites together with service.

The rooms have all the basics that you need. There is tea and coffee making facilities, a TV with a built in DVD Player, a desk to work at if you happen to be on a business trip. The bathroom was spotlessly clean with a good selection of toiletries provided. The bed was comfortable and we enjoyed a good night's sleep.

I did not make it down to breakfast but my wife and family found both the food and service to be excellent. We received a pleasant farewell from the owner upon departure and would not hesitate to return to this lovely little hotel in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple