“Excellent!”

Ranked #34 of 78 Eastbourne B&B and Inns
Southend-on-Sea
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

You could not meet a nicer hotelier than Joe. From the minute we walked through the door we was made to feel welcome and that nothing we asked for would be too much trouble. My friend and I stayed in a twin room which was spacious, light and airy; tall ceilings and simple neutral decor. The en-suite was again spacious and had a large double shower and vanity basin. Joe greeted us every morning for breakfast which was freshly cooked and ample. Parking is provided and the seafront is a stones throw away with some very nice restaurants a two minute walk around the corner. I will be returning to the area regularly and I will definitely be staying here when I do.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I picked this hotel completely at random from those available in Eastbourne and I feel incredibly lucky to have discovered this gem.

Jo (the owner) is one of the most friendly, interesting and helpful people I've ever met. He and his family catered for our every need while we were with them for three nights. The rooms were clean, had everything we needed (including very fast Internet) and comfortable.

Breakfast was included and was top notch! We feasted on a full English every morning in beautiful surroundings. My new hobby will take me back to South Downs on a regular basis and I will always return to the Vernon House Hotel.

Room Tip: I've only stayed in one room but assuming they're all largely the same you'll be fine.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Just spent a weekend in Eastbourne to celebrate a relatives silver wedding. I booked 2 rooms in this hotel, a double and a single for my 80 plus mother. When we arrived we had been upgraded from a double to a luxury double and from a single to a double as they said they are no longer doing single rooms, it looks to me like they are refurbishing and to a very good standard. On getting the key to our luxury room we were very impressed, it had a sitting room with two very large leather armchairs, a very large flat screen TV and coffee table, and the bedroom has a beautiful Louis XIV bed with beautiful white bedding, in fact the sheets were the softest i have ever had in a hotel, the bathroom although small was decorating with lovely tiles and had shower, basin and toilet. and we also had a balcony with table and chairs, and the usual kettle etc. The paint work was also fresh and new as were the carpets and soft furnishings.

The owner was a lovely man a who could not do enough for you, and the breakfast was excellent.

The only thing we found a little irritating was the TV system, which was confusing and could have done with a card telling you how to use it, but we sorted it out and it was only a very minor blip in what was a very enjoyable stay.
The price we paid was also good value and although it had no on site parking, thjer was parking outside which you buy a permit at £3 per day, which in these days I thought was good value.

Location excellent a few minutes from town shopping and less to the promenade, in fact from our balcony you could see the sea at the road end.

Room Tip: If you can get a luxury room it is worth it.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I visited this hotel June 2012 for an overnight stay after watching the "windy" tennis at Eastbourne. I stayed in a twin room. The hotel has a lift which is handy when you are on the second floor! The room was clean with a lovely ensuite shower room however it had a saniflo toilet which is very noisy but as long as you do not flush the toilet or run the water during the night this is not really a problem.The bed was comfortable with crisp sheets and warm duvet. The breakfast was lovely a choice of cereals and full english breakfast with eggs fried scrambled or poached and toast, butter, flora and jam or marmalade. Newspapers were available too. Even the tiniest detail thought of. We paid an extra £3 to park so there was no worry about trying to find a parking space, and we left the car at the hotel so we could walk into the town the following morning for some shopping.
Overall a lovely hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I was going through the mixed reviews and i thought, i should share my thought as many customers may find it difficult to trust whose comments are true.. the dismissed chef or the owner or other customers..

I was there for the Queens Diamond Jubilee weekend with my wife and we found the place very nice. First of all we were offered a good price, when we called the hotel directly. We were offered a free parking slot. We requested an early check in, which was happily agreed upon and when we arrived to our suprise we were upgraded to a better room, as we offered to make a cash payment.

The hotel exterior looked a bit dull,but Interiors were we much better. The location is excellent just about two minutes walk from the beach and close to restaurants, shops and supermarkets. There is a nice restaurant on the neighbouring street called The Belgian Cafe, which turned out to be the highlight of my trip (recommended by the petrol station owner on the corner) as I am a seafood lover and that was like a heaven for me.

We did try the hotel restaurant and was nice. Its a spanish restaurant but was not busy at all. There was only another couple other than us. As we had a late lunch we wanted a light dinner and we thought of ordering two starters and share a main. The cassava and calamari starters were nice and well presented and for main, even though it took a while we were served two portions of a seafood rice dish with squid ink and were charged only for one. It was the first day of the waiter at work, whose English is elementary, but was a very pleasant helpful man.

The rooms we found spacious and clean. It looks a bit empty and i thought some flowervases or somethong else of the tables would make it more attractive. Linen looked clean, fresh and new. Toileteries adequate but toilets are a bit small. Tea /coffee supplies with maker in the room. A large wardrob. The TV was large and was new, but in the living room. If one wanted to see tv from the bed, not here. Bed comfortable and large, with nice soft pillows.

The breakfast was nice & big or rather i would say excellent. We had juice, cerials, fruites, toast, fried eggs, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, bacon, sausage rolls, coffee etc.. everything you need for a lavish breakfast and the hot dishes, staight from the cook's pan to your plate. You can seven see the cook making your breakfast. 10 out of 10.

The second day I had a detailed chat with the owner Mr, Hayler and he seemed to be a very nice gentle man. He was very friendly, with good knowledge of the local area. The hotel seems to have not benefitted much from the long weekend holidayers. We found only very few other people in the hotel as residents. The dismissed chef's comments put people off i think.

We found the Owners family most of the time occupying the lounge and for the entire stay i thought it was thier private area and not realised it was a guest lounge. The dog is still there and was confined to this room.

Overall we found out stay quite enjoyable and good value for money. I would definitely use this hotel, if I go back to Eastbourne.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We booked a party of 25 for 1-2 nights on 30/31 March 2012 and were delighted with the rooms and the breakfasts. Joe and Julie the proprietors were extremely helpful and did a brilliant evening meal on the saturday night.Unfortunately the cellar bar was under refurbishment but Joe provided canned beers and some very reasonably priced wine. Located only 5 minutes stroll to the pier and parking on-street but easy with cheap parking hotel cards. If you see a bad review on this hotel then ignore it..............this place is a gem!!!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good with 5 and 7 the biggest double ensuites
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Central Queensland
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I was more than pleasantly surprised by the Vernon House Hotel. I stayed three nights. My room was charming, elegantly decorated and spotlessly clean with a comfy bed. Sheets towels and tea/coffee making bits and bobs changed regularly. It was quiet and the staff were friendly and helpful. I would very happily recommend this hotel to anyone who was looking for a place to stay in Eastbourne.

Its one street back from the seafront and very close to town shops, theatres and the pier (just a few mins walk). Excellent value for money too!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo