“Another great stay!”
Review of Vernon Guesthouse

Vernon Guesthouse
Ranked #42 of 75 Eastbourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is the third year we have enjoyed a short break at this hotel. This time we were in Eastbourne to celebrate a friends birthday.
Our room was spacious, bright and beautifully clean. The owners are the friendliest and most helpful people you could meet. Yes they do own a very large dog who is very well trained and so used to people he doesn't even blink an eye when people come and go. I have never noticed any dog hair and even though I am no dog lover I see him as a valued member of the staff ;-)
If you want 4* sterile environment with robotic staff then this isn't for you but if, like me, you want excellent value for money, friendly and helpful staff, good quality breakfast and a clean comfortable room then you can't go wrong!!
We will be back

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Having stayed at this hotel previously with our dog, a year or so ago, my partner and I decided to use it as a base on Saturday night, when we attended a concert at the nearby Congress theatre, and booked ourselves in without the dog. However, at the last minute, there was nobody available to look after the dog, so we telephoned the hotel and explained the situation, and they were only too happy to look after him while we went to the concert.

We arrived late afternoon and checked in to a beautiful spacious room on the first floor, where we had tea / coffee before heading out to the theatre, and leaving the dog, Otto, in the reception area while the owners were having dinner. When we returned from the concert, Otto was fast asleep in front of the TV, where he had apparently been all evening. They could not have been more accommodating, and they informed us that people often leave their dogs with them while they go out to the theatre.

After a good night's sleep, we had a full English breakfast (at a time of our choice, because it was so quiet) to set us up for a nice walk along the seafront. It is very rare in the UK to find a hotel that not only accept dogs, but also lets them stay free, and provides a "dog-sitting" service, and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants a weekend away with their dog. We will definitely be back a third time!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2012

...we should have checked the reviews before booking a night here back in July. Upon arrival we were met by a not overly friendly receptionist (in her defence we were trying to check in very early) accompanied by a massive great dog....

There was dog hair all over the hallway and this killed it for me straight away. I have a condition called Lupus and cannot be near animals for any length of time, if I am I end up in hospital.....

When I flagged this with the booking company they washed their hands of the matter and I was £160 down for a hotel visit lasted 5 minutes!!

After a week of rows and threats of legal action I finally settled on getting half my money back.

I am sure the owners are lovely but avoid if you don't like, or allergic to, dogs.....

Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Martin W
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We we're directed to the Vernon House Hotel after another hotel had double booked. Our room was like a broom cupboard, no tv, very noisy creaky bed with a mattress that nearly crippled us, the view was of a brick wall, not even a blind up at the bathroom window, Very noisy from the street outside in the small hours. The hotel itself is like a dingy dark maze, with no carpet on the floor of the lounge. My 1st impressions were of a DSS b&b. Had to suffer it due to the double booking but the owners attitude was smug to say the least and because he knew he was getting paid by our original hotel, we were made to feel insignificant. On account of all this we gave the breakfast a wide berth. Good location though.

Room Tip: Avoid room 6 at all costs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Meshling1234
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at Vernon House with our two children in a family room, which was ample big enough, it had a double bed, 2 single beds, and lost of more room besides, it was located on the ground floor which was very handy.
The lounge area was really nice, and had lots of board games for the children to play whilst we got ready to go out.
The hotel owners were extremely friendly, and great with our children, they serve a delicious fresh cooked breakfast, just let them know what you would like, and they cook it! what more can you ask!
We wish you all the best for the future, and Thank you very much for making our stay so enjoyable whilst visiting family.

Room Tip: If you see a room on the internet, and like the look, just ask for that one, I would recommend the g...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed at the Vernon House Hotel from 24th to 27th July 2012. We found this hotel very welcomming,spotless with very clean rooms and a comfortable bed. The proprietor Joe was very helpful and pleasant. We were B & B and the breakfast was cooked to order and delicious. The position of the hotel is ideal for beach,theatres,shopping and resaurants. Thanks to Joe and his staff for making our stay so enjoyable.We would recommend this hotel to friends and hope to return at some time.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2012

You could not meet a nicer hotelier than Joe. From the minute we walked through the door we was made to feel welcome and that nothing we asked for would be too much trouble. My friend and I stayed in a twin room which was spacious, light and airy; tall ceilings and simple neutral decor. The en-suite was again spacious and had a large double shower and vanity basin. Joe greeted us every morning for breakfast which was freshly cooked and ample. Parking is provided and the seafront is a stones throw away with some very nice restaurants a two minute walk around the corner. I will be returning to the area regularly and I will definitely be staying here when I do.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends