“Lovley food but is it really "all you can eat"?”
Review of Happy Dragon Inn

Happy Dragon Inn
Ranked #223 of 438 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Iv been to happy dragon inn three times now and the food its lovely! The only problem is can they call it all you can eat? Every time iv been there they make you feel guilty for ordering more dishes and they try and make you move on to the next course! I understand not ordering to many dishes at once because of the wase but dont see why there is an attitude to go with it!

6  Thank kittykat199

Reviewed 14 January 2012

My daughter recommended this place to me and OMG i was soooooo impressed. chicken balls that tasted of chicken, really really impressed. reasonably priced, good service and really tasty.

1  Thank Jublet27
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Went there with a client and my wife. We were greeted warmly and sat a a window table. The food was excellent, the staff attentive and friendly. Love the idea of the gourmet buffet. Eat as much as you want, but clear your plate before the next dish is brought. It saves waste and stops greed. Going again soon with my wife and also booking for a party later on this month. I sometimes wonder if some of the reviews are for the right restaurant! We found it excellent. As with life in general, I am sure that if you treat people with respect, then respect in returned.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

A previous review said that the Happy Dragon are only interested in large parties but I can vouch for the fact that this is not the case! Eleven of us booked the Happy Dragon on 30th October as my son was keen to try the deep fried ice cream balls that he had heard about, and as it was to celebrate his 27th birthday, who was I to argue.

The interior looks as if the owners had taken over some kind of a transport cafe and stuck a few Chinese things on the walls. Even the Chinese music which I wasn't a particular fan of, was changed half way to a Hits of the 80's soundtrack, so not exactly a Chinese atmosphere.

I had been to the Golden Dragon in Terminus Road, Eastbourne, a few weeks ago and this was the same concept, and at £14.80 you could order as many dishes as you wished. The only difference is that at the Happy Dragon they allowed a jug of iced water. Well, I say the only difference, when actually there is a lot of difference. At the Happy Dragon the staff are not at all 'happy' and the female waitress was actually abrupt and surly. We decided to divide our orders up by group and had two groups of four and one of three as it would have been impossible to get the food from one end to another as small tables had been joined together for our party. We were encouraged to order the mixed starter and got a plate with prawns in a light tempura type batter which were nice and one each of satay, mini spring roll, samosa, spare rib and some crispy seaweed We seemed to wait an age for our next course of crispy duck, crispy Mongolian lamb and pancakes and it was a pitiful amount for four and must have amounted to a desert spoon each of the meat and an equally pitiful amount of cucumber and spring onion.

We ordered a few dishes and did ask for two of the sweet and sour pork Hong Kong style and the crispy shredded beef but we only got one and after we ordered a few dishes we were told by our snappy Chinese lady that would be enough to start off with and see how we went with that. Well, we again waited ages and the amount we got was pathetic and we thought we would definitely have to order more but the next thing we knew our plates and chopsticks and cutlery was whisked away and we were asked if we had finished or did we want desert. We felt really bad saying that we wanted to order a few more dishes as they had to give us more plates etc and didn't seem very happy at the prospect. Our friends had ordered some kind of fish in batter and my son tried it and wanted to spit it out but ate it with big gulps of drink. God knows what they had ordered but to me it tasted like a disgusting piece of mackerel skin in batter!

Now for the deep fried ice cream balls. We were so hungry, which is saying a lot as I can't usually manage much food at all before I am full, that we ordered a banana fritter, apple fritter and deep fried ice cream ball each and a portion of lychees each. Well our portion of lychees were two each, and would have been embarrassing for them if we had ordered lychees on their own, surely. As it was, they came on the plate with the ice cream ball and the banana and apple fritter. All had the same thick doughy batter that I couldn't eat and the piece of apple inside was uncooked in any way and crunchy. Worst fritters I have ever had!

Next time we will go to the Golden Dragon and save ourselves the taxi fare to Pevensey Bay and get much better food and service with a smile and feel that we are in China rather than a transport cafe with a bit of Chinese tat on the walls. Just a note, I have lived in both Hong Kong and Singapore in the past so good Chinese food isn't lost on me!

3  Thank SandraWallis
Reviewed 9 October 2011

A group of 7 of us went to this restaurant last night :) the food was beautiful and being all you can eat no-one went hungry. Everything we tried was beautiful. My favourite was the shredded chicken with spring onions! All in all we had a four course meal (starters, pancakes, mains and desserts) with coffee around 7 cokes and three bottles of wine for £160. Very very good :)

2  Thank Stacey_Weeks90