“I was very anxious about staying here...”

Mansion Lions Hotel
Ranked #35 of 40 Hotels in Eastbourne
Malvern, United Kingdom
“I was very anxious about staying here...”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

after reading the reent reviews on Tripadvisor. We were travelling as part of a coach tour with our elderly disabled parents (one wheelchair user). However, on arrival we were very pleasantly surprised both by the appearance of the hotel, but more so by the staff. Both reception and waiting staff were extremely helpful, friendly and courteous throughout. Because of an oversight by our travel company we had all been allocated rooms in different parts of the hotel which would have meant my stepfather needing to walk quite a distance and negotiate steps and that neither my sister nor I were near enough should they need help. Reception staff quickly found alternative rooms - allocating the bridal suite complete with four poster bed to my parents!
Yes, revovation is needed - and is ongoing, but our rooms were clean and comfortable with good hot shower/bath.
The meals were very good with three courses and three choices of main course. We all ate different things and were mostly very happy with what was served. The vegetarian meals were particularly good - the twice baked cheese souffle was delicious!
The waiting staff were maybe a little quick to clear our plates away which is not generally customary, but they were extremely patient and friendly and went out of their way to help us. One waiter even nipped to a neighbouring hotel to get yoghurt for my Mum who was not feeling too well one morning.

Yes, they were foreign - from various countries including Iran, Spain and Hungary - but most spoke at least sufficient English and we certainly didn't find any of them rude or "scary" - including Helga who was very pleasant!
If people want a luxury hotel experience then they need to pay luxury prices. As part of a coach party I have always had to adhere to set meal times. Individual residents certainly didn't have to do so at the Mansion Lions.
Reasonable bar prices, free entertainment (which was mostly not to our taste) and a relaxed atmosphere made this holiday enjoyable and overall it was great value for money. Normal hotel prices seemed rather expensive if the rooms were of the same standard.

Room Tip: First floor rooms may be noisier, but were adequately decorated and quite comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Annette M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I recently visited this hotel as part of a large party.On arrival it seemed all was well as reception area is clean and maintained but dont be fooled .Everyone was allocated rooms in a haphazard fashion with little or no instructions given.As all rooms need access via a lift there is only one with strict instructions only to be used by 4 people! so already this was a pitful as most of the party were of a mature age.On inspection some of the rooms were of a "good" standard but the majority were old fashioned, dated, small and extremely shabby.Everyone had paid the same price for their rooms so the difference was clearly noted.We now move on to meal times and the only way to describe this is"school dinners" we were given a STRICT allocated time and we were not able to have any level of flexibility 8am was 8am! The restaurant manager tried to be helpful but obviously had little control some of the staff were rude ,untrained in etiquette and unable to speak English infact one was extremely scary by the name of "Helga". The food was reasonable if a little boring one things for sure I wont be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on 1st floor have been renovated!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
13 Thank Daffodil66

Travellers are raving about these Eastbourne hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I have just attended a conference in Eastbourne and if ever a hotel needed "The Hotel Inspector" to call, Mansion (Lions) Hotel was it. With a prime seaside location, fabulous views and close to both beach and town centre and good travel links, this should be a hotel to recommend to everybody. Instead I will not be advising anybody to stay. The only reason why I have not graded this hotel as terrible is that when I stayed for two nights, while attending a conference, I had a huge room with a wonderful sea view. That was the upside of my stay. The downside - the hotel desperately needs an overhaul. It is tatty, down at heel and so very very tired. Curtains, both window and shower were hanging off their respective rails. Nearly every piece of furniture in my room was broken in some respect, including the vast battery operated clock on the wall. The bed's sheets appeared clean although of cheap quality but when was the duvet cover last changed? I put something on a chair and clouds of dust arose. The bathroom, although very small despite the vast size of the bedroom, was clean apart from a horrible damp patch in one corner with peeling, flaking paint. The towels were small and past their best. The whole hotel was in desperate need of repair, refitting and redecoration. I also expect nowadays to be able to access a few more tv channels then 1 to 5, and a couple of radio stations, including Radio 4, should be a minimum. The reception area was small and full of tat. I got in the lift, which was creaky at best, to be assailed by the overpowering smell of stale fat frying somewhere; I presume the hotel kitchen. I felt very sorry for the coachload of elderly visitors who sat in a dismal line along one wall on my first evening while a not very good entertainer bellowed "Delilah" at them. It was insulting to one and all. By the way this made it impossible to sit in the bar and have a drink mid-evening with colleagues and be heard and by later in the evening the bar was closed. Many of my colleagues had tales to tell of being locked out at midnight and then being interrogated when eventually somebody appeared to open the door. Breakfast was at best adequate but only just, not helped by staff who did not speak much english. The receptionist on the second night was unhelpful, I would even go as far as to describe her as rude. All in all a poor experience. I could not see how the hotel merited AA 3 stars and I certainly think they need to up their game not only for the Conference trade but also for the tourist business. This hotel appeared to be part of a chain and from talking to others who were at the conference and stayed in the sister hotels, there was not much difference between them. If "staycations" and economic conditions encourage people to stay in the UK, and locations are sought for conferences and holidays then this set of hotels needs to work a damn sight harder to take advantage of the trade and develop the local economy. Eastbourne could be a lovely shortbreak resort or conference centre but with hotels like Mansion (Lions) bringing down it's reputation that business will elude the town. If you want a place to stay in Eastbourne this hotel should not be your first, second or third choice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
24 Thank Caltal
London
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed at the Mansion Lions Hotel for one night in July to join family who were staying there on a longer break. My family were content with their two rooms - a garden view on the ground floor, and a family room. Both were spacious, although rather dated.

Our room was on the top floor and it was extremely small. The higher floors in the hotel need an injection of cash and some tlc. Ceilings in the corridors are stained, paint is peeling off of the walls, and there are layers of dust and a general feeling of decay. There was an unlocked bath room/store room piled with furniture opposite our room - the toilet in it was disgusting. We felt like we were staying a hostel. For the price we had paid for a night's stay it was terrible value.

Check in was unprofessional and unfriendly.

On a more positive note - breakfast food and service was acceptable - although having seen the general cleanliness elsewhere, I was not looking forward to eating there. The decoration on the ground floor kept us entertained - as did the staff uniforms. The lion theme is taken rather literally!

In summary, if you are looking for a clean, tasteful, well run establishment, this is not the hotel for you. If you really must stay here, ensure that you book a garden room on the ground floor.

Room Tip: Stick to the lower floors - the higher you go the worse it gets!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank JulesJREE
Howden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

After having visited this hotel last year, and enjoyed our stay, this year it was a very different story. The standard of the food was poor and was served cold, in some cases. The service was even worse as most of the waitrons could not speak or understand English, with the result that it was very frustrating trying to place an order. On a positive note, the accommodation was very good and the Hotel is situated right on the beachfront.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank GogoGill
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I have read some very critical reports about this hotel - all I can say is - IGNORE THEM ALL !
I stayed there with a friend this week, we had booked two single rooms, what we got on arrival were two lovely twin rooms each, very spacious, beautifully furnished and extremely comfortable. Ok, I have heard moans about long corridors to the rooms, but come on - this is a beautiful old hotel, not a purpose built lump of concrete, so what do you expect ? Dining room service was very friendly and extremely efficient, the full English breakfast was well cooked and presented. All the staff were very friendly and always there when you needed them.
A beautiful place to stay on the seafront, I hope I will be able to go back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank jimone
Hatfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The hotel looked great in brochure but upon arrival with our coach party we found our room in desperate need of some new paint and up dated bedding including a new bed., also a basin plug would have been an asset.
. Curtains were hanging off the rail.
We could have done with another bedside cabinet in our twin room.
We had a leaking ceiling during a heavy rain fall. There were more leaks all over the hotel.
There were 2 lifts, one for guests which could only take 4 people at a time and a service lift which was not used , we can only assume it was broken.
The ballroom was very large and sparse and also needed a lick of paint.
One guest and his wife who was in a wheelchair had a ground floor room with access to a patio which would have been very nice if the staff could have found the key for the outside door. They also had to exit the back of the hotel with the wheelchair and walk right round the hotel to take advantage of the decking area which was for smokers.This was not swept atall while we were there and we ended up emptying the ash trays ourselves into a carrier bag.
On a more positive note the Reception area and bar areas were very nice, with beautiful ceilings chandaleirs and bevel edged mirrors.
The meals were lovely and the staff very pleasant and helpful.
The garden was lovely and well cared for, although the water features did not appear to be working.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends