Mansion Lions Hotel
Cavendish Hotel(Eastbourne)
US$85
US$51
  • Beachfront
The View Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$66
  • Breakfast included
Best Western York House Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$67
TripAdvisor
Langham Hotel(Eastbourne)
US$155
  • Beachfront
The Grand Hotel Eastbourne(Eastbourne)
US$261
US$187
US$182
Best Western Lansdowne Hotel(Eastbourne)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$153
Priceline
  • Beachfront
All reviewslick of paintdance floorenjoyed my staywaiting stafflovely roomtown centretea and coffeecooked breakfastpier
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Booked and paid deposit by credit card for two rooms ,arrived just after midnight and even before getting the bags in was asked to pay upfront without seeing the rooms.I refused and told the receptionist that he had my card details,he took my card details again. Lift did not work that night and had to carry bags up to fourth floor. First room , a twin, was quite large,fairly clean but had some decor problems,ie peeling wallpaper. Second room, a double, was clean but quite small and in need of decoration. Was concerned that the smoke detector on the stairs outside our room was hanging out of the ceiling on its wires ,and Fire Alarm panel in reception was showing a fault light.
Breakfast was ok as was service, but the staff,mostly young and Eastern European could have been more customer orientated.
Wedding and reception dinner and evening buffet were acceptable, but was amazed to see the staff at the end of the evening not remove the dirty table cloths but just put clean ones over them ready for breakfast the next morning.
We went down to breakfast on the last morning to our table which looked as if someone else had eaten there before us and it had not been cleaned up properly.
I had misplaced/lost £60 in cash and when I told the receptionist she didn't even acknowledge the fact or take any details.
We later found out that two other people that weekend had purses taken from their rooms or pushchairs.
Would I stay at this hotel again? Absolutely no chance.
Would I recommend this hotel ? Absolutely no chance.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
17  Thank grumpy999
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I was part of a large group that stayed recently, check in was a little hectic but with so many people that is always going to be an issue, especially when the lift is small. I think it was hit or miss with the rooms. We were pleasantly surprised by our room which was large and clean. The only downside was there was a large stain on the ceiling (from a leak from bathroom above I suspect), which did look unsightly and was badly patched up. The repairs that have gone on are to a substandard and would recommend the hotel check on any repairs done and not allow bodge jobs repairs. Other members of our party was not so fortunate and had poor rooms, and as someone stated in another review it appears as the further you go up the worse it got. The TV did not work in our room but to be fair was quickly rectified, although the picture quality was poor (no digital signal, analog only). The dining room was also a hit and miss affair. The first night was strange, the food was very good, but the service very poor, and although some of the staff had poor English there is no excuse for rudeness. When one of or party complained to the waitress (I suspect it was “Helga”) that he and found a hair in his dinner (which he had, I saw it), the reply was “I don’t know who’s it is” which may be correct but not really the response that was required. Fortunately for the rest of our trip we were on another table which was served by a very polite happy waiter who was great. The meal times are odd, the dining room cannot accommodate everyone at the same time so they have a very strict timetable which can and did cause issues. On a more positive note the Barman was great and had a good sense of humour, and the in house quiz went down very well indeed. So for some of our party it was good hotel with no issues for others it was not so, very hit and miss which makes it difficult to rate.

Room Tip: As others have stated lower floor is best.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jeff T
Reviewed 29 October 2011

after reading the reent reviews on Tripadvisor. We were travelling as part of a coach tour with our elderly disabled parents (one wheelchair user). However, on arrival we were very pleasantly surprised both by the appearance of the hotel, but more so by the staff. Both reception and waiting staff were extremely helpful, friendly and courteous throughout. Because of an oversight by our travel company we had all been allocated rooms in different parts of the hotel which would have meant my stepfather needing to walk quite a distance and negotiate steps and that neither my sister nor I were near enough should they need help. Reception staff quickly found alternative rooms - allocating the bridal suite complete with four poster bed to my parents!
Yes, revovation is needed - and is ongoing, but our rooms were clean and comfortable with good hot shower/bath.
The meals were very good with three courses and three choices of main course. We all ate different things and were mostly very happy with what was served. The vegetarian meals were particularly good - the twice baked cheese souffle was delicious!
The waiting staff were maybe a little quick to clear our plates away which is not generally customary, but they were extremely patient and friendly and went out of their way to help us. One waiter even nipped to a neighbouring hotel to get yoghurt for my Mum who was not feeling too well one morning.

Yes, they were foreign - from various countries including Iran, Spain and Hungary - but most spoke at least sufficient English and we certainly didn't find any of them rude or "scary" - including Helga who was very pleasant!
If people want a luxury hotel experience then they need to pay luxury prices. As part of a coach party I have always had to adhere to set meal times. Individual residents certainly didn't have to do so at the Mansion Lions.
Reasonable bar prices, free entertainment (which was mostly not to our taste) and a relaxed atmosphere made this holiday enjoyable and overall it was great value for money. Normal hotel prices seemed rather expensive if the rooms were of the same standard.

Room Tip: First floor rooms may be noisier, but were adequately decorated and quite comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Annette M
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I recently visited this hotel as part of a large party.On arrival it seemed all was well as reception area is clean and maintained but dont be fooled .Everyone was allocated rooms in a haphazard fashion with little or no instructions given.As all rooms need access via a lift there is only one with strict instructions only to be used by 4 people! so already this was a pitful as most of the party were of a mature age.On inspection some of the rooms were of a "good" standard but the majority were old fashioned, dated, small and extremely shabby.Everyone had paid the same price for their rooms so the difference was clearly noted.We now move on to meal times and the only way to describe this is"school dinners" we were given a STRICT allocated time and we were not able to have any level of flexibility 8am was 8am! The restaurant manager tried to be helpful but obviously had little control some of the staff were rude ,untrained in etiquette and unable to speak English infact one was extremely scary by the name of "Helga". The food was reasonable if a little boring one things for sure I wont be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on 1st floor have been renovated!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
13  Thank Daffodil66
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I have just attended a conference in Eastbourne and if ever a hotel needed "The Hotel Inspector" to call, Mansion (Lions) Hotel was it. With a prime seaside location, fabulous views and close to both beach and town centre and good travel links, this should be a hotel to recommend to everybody. Instead I will not be advising anybody to stay. The only reason why I have not graded this hotel as terrible is that when I stayed for two nights, while attending a conference, I had a huge room with a wonderful sea view. That was the upside of my stay. The downside - the hotel desperately needs an overhaul. It is tatty, down at heel and so very very tired. Curtains, both window and shower were hanging off their respective rails. Nearly every piece of furniture in my room was broken in some respect, including the vast battery operated clock on the wall. The bed's sheets appeared clean although of cheap quality but when was the duvet cover last changed? I put something on a chair and clouds of dust arose. The bathroom, although very small despite the vast size of the bedroom, was clean apart from a horrible damp patch in one corner with peeling, flaking paint. The towels were small and past their best. The whole hotel was in desperate need of repair, refitting and redecoration. I also expect nowadays to be able to access a few more tv channels then 1 to 5, and a couple of radio stations, including Radio 4, should be a minimum. The reception area was small and full of tat. I got in the lift, which was creaky at best, to be assailed by the overpowering smell of stale fat frying somewhere; I presume the hotel kitchen. I felt very sorry for the coachload of elderly visitors who sat in a dismal line along one wall on my first evening while a not very good entertainer bellowed "Delilah" at them. It was insulting to one and all. By the way this made it impossible to sit in the bar and have a drink mid-evening with colleagues and be heard and by later in the evening the bar was closed. Many of my colleagues had tales to tell of being locked out at midnight and then being interrogated when eventually somebody appeared to open the door. Breakfast was at best adequate but only just, not helped by staff who did not speak much english. The receptionist on the second night was unhelpful, I would even go as far as to describe her as rude. All in all a poor experience. I could not see how the hotel merited AA 3 stars and I certainly think they need to up their game not only for the Conference trade but also for the tourist business. This hotel appeared to be part of a chain and from talking to others who were at the conference and stayed in the sister hotels, there was not much difference between them. If "staycations" and economic conditions encourage people to stay in the UK, and locations are sought for conferences and holidays then this set of hotels needs to work a damn sight harder to take advantage of the trade and develop the local economy. Eastbourne could be a lovely shortbreak resort or conference centre but with hotels like Mansion (Lions) bringing down it's reputation that business will elude the town. If you want a place to stay in Eastbourne this hotel should not be your first, second or third choice.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business